StrongLifts 5x5 - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-07-2011, 13:03   #16
Deedsie

Send a message via Skype™ to Deedsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanley View Post
So you could end up on stronglifts forevre then....?
Well I keep getting to 100kg squat, 70 Kg bench etc and then I stop for various reasons. So I have never stuck with it long enough to know either way.
Advertisement
19-07-2011, 13:23   #17
marathonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedsie View Post
I agree, I was going to do stonglifta untill I can squat 1.5 times my own body weight, bench my body weight, Deadlift twice my body weight etc

Is this a bad approach?
I'm in a similar boat. Starting Starting Strength next week. I'm not sure how long to stick at it. I like the ratio goals given above but think I'll just stick with it until I go 2-3 weeks without setting new PR's - whenever that may be.

I'll then switch it up a little. As time progresses, if any of my lifts are going out of the above ratios, I'll vary the assistance excercises to help improve the main lift - depending on where my weak spots are.

Might not be the best way but it's the only way I know - for now.
19-07-2011, 13:48   #18
Seifer

I'd recommend stronglifts as a beginner.
As has already been said, going from doing no weight training to squatting three times a week with all the rest is pretty much guaranteed to make you bigger and stronger.
The site is alright for explaining the exercises but there are plenty of other videos out there to help clear things up. The handiest thing is the spread sheet you can download to track your progress. It's fun to lift heavier nearly every session.
19-07-2011, 13:53   #19
Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
I'd recommend stronglifts as a beginner.
As has already been said, going from doing no weight training to squatting three times a week with all the rest is pretty much guaranteed to make you bigger and stronger.
The site is alright for explaining the exercises but there are plenty of other videos out there to help clear things up. The handiest thing is the spread sheet you can download to track your progress. It's fun to lift heavier nearly every session.
i think it gives a great base to learn from.

here is what the starting strength wiki says about it

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/StrongLifts_5x5

Last edited by Tigger; 19-07-2011 at 14:18.
19-07-2011, 16:16   #20
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

I think rather than givin out about stronglifts, I should embrace it, further bastardise it, make it less effective and then sell it as my own. Seems to be the way to do it.
Advertisement
19-07-2011, 16:59   #21
sharky86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanley View Post
I think rather than givin out about stronglifts, I should embrace it, further bastardise it, make it less effective and then sell it as my own. Seems to be the way to do it.
Now your thinking like a PT with his own website Well done
Thanks from:
19-07-2011, 20:20   #22
Molly

I wanted a read of his 5x5 report the other day to see what stuff he was bastardising. It now costs money to join the stronglifts forum and apparently he has teamed up with andy bolton
20-07-2011, 09:18   #23
d'Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
apparently he has teamed up with andy bolton
Teamed up?

It looks to me like he just reposts Andy Boltons news letters in his blog.
20-07-2011, 09:35   #24
Molly

Well he seems to be selling andy boltons stuff so I figured there was *some* collaboration there
Advertisement
20-07-2011, 10:06   #25
Paterson

I attached the report, while downloadin it few weeks ago he said feel free to pass around to friends, also i got it free
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stronglifts-5x5-report.pdf (2.79 MB, 107 views)
20-07-2011, 10:30   #26
d'Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
Well he seems to be selling andy boltons stuff so I figured there was *some* collaboration there
Dunno.
Medhi is a very good internet marketer.
These blog posts are mostly C&P of Boltons news letter.
He seems to be offering a discount on Boltons stuff.
Andy Bolton is trying to make money.

So I suppose it is teamed up if you define "teamed up" up as a little online co-marketing.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway.
Thanks from:
20-07-2011, 11:13   #27
dartstothesea

It'll leave you comparatively a little weak on deadlifts for one thing but it does what it says on the tin: lift every second day and progress linearly at each lift every session. That works.

I milked all those newb gains out of it without much hassle. I done **** all in the last 5 odd months since then but that's on me and fairly unrelated.

Well, maybe it claims on the tin to do some other mad stuff, I can't remember, but that's all I came to expect from it.

Last edited by dartstothesea; 20-07-2011 at 11:16.
Thanks from:
15-08-2011, 09:32   #28
allibastor

Hi Guys,

i agree with the posts that your man Medhi has just re-sold what has been written before, but he does say that is how he operates. if you read the report he mentions several times, if not more that his method is just a copy of other methods with smaller twists, just marketed by him. fair enough, how many companies do the same, facebook/bebo anyone?

i have been doing weights for a good few years now, play rugby and do martial arts a lot. i would consider myself strong enough, could squat nearly my bodyweight for the last few years and lift heavy enough weights. could never pass through those barriers though.
started the 5x5 programme, started on the low weights and have gone way past my own personal barriers. i think alot of it is down to starting low and then gaining confidence in how much you lift, coupled with slow progression.
i used to go to the gym every few days and squat, but always with the same wieght and never mad much improvment. started doing this method and did. i know it was not rocket science, but most of the time people need the obvious pionted out to them.

it is a begineer course, as said in the report and will not allow you to keep adding weight all the time, but it will build a good foundation for you to build off, also as said. most people just need good directions to follow to go on thier own way after that, every PT will tell you the same.

Thanks, rant out.
15-08-2011, 11:30   #29
kevpants

The only 2 questions that matter for a beginner program are:

Is there structure?

Is there progression?

Unless the expercise selection and rep scheme are completely ballsed up then it will work to some degree. Stronglifts isn't a magic formula it's just structure.
15-08-2011, 19:10   #30
Laisurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterson View Post
Anyone tried it? heard of it? or ny opinions?
Reading through book thinkin of tryin it out,
Any advice welcome
Thanks
Tbh i think it's crap, i did it when i started out and progress wasn't great, i don't like trying to do a specific amount of reps and then stopping.

When i swapped over to another program where i did higher reps and less sets my progress was much better.

Go on muscleandstrength.com and check out their workouts, you'll have loads of choices and tbh most of them seem pretty good, as a general rule though if you want to build muscle and size use weight you can do 8-12 reps with for strength 6 and down.

That's what's worked best in my experience anyway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion