Does ADLI (German Brand Supermarket) have 'GMO' vegetables and fruits? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

24-06-2011, 16:49   #1
gh1979

Does ADLI (German Brand Supermarket) have 'GMO' vegetables and fruits?

Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 17:41   #2
Rhalliord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1979 View Post
Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Thanks.
I eat them and I havent gotten sick since the outbreak occured if thats any help?
24-06-2011, 17:51   #3
Paulw

Why not contact them and ask???

From their website -

If you have a corporate or general enquiry write to us at:

Aldi Stores, Newbridge Road, Naas, County Kildare

Or telephone: 1800 509 324
Thanks from:
24-06-2011, 18:34   #4
Access

I can understand your concerns, but their carrots are Irish grown, their spuds are from Meath and their mushrooms are from Monaghan if that is any help?

They do source what they can locally as far as i know.

I get most fruit and veg there and i have not sprouted any extra limbs yet... that i have noticed.
24-06-2011, 18:45   #5
dudara
Category Moderator

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 18:55   #6
Trevor451
Closed Account

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
I never bought anything in Aldi before but as far as I know GMO food is banned in the European Union. I believe that some farm animals are fed GM feed though
25-06-2011, 09:41   #7
CJhaughey

If I understand the legislation correctly GMO food has to be marked as such and cannot be sold as normal food.
Farm animals that have been fed nuts/concentrate have usually been eating GMO feed, most of the Soy is GMO and states it on the pack.
Thanks from:
25-06-2011, 10:19   #8
yawnstretch

I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice
25-06-2011, 10:24   #9
efb

What about DUNNES STORES, TESCO, SUPER VALU, SUPERQUINN or LIDL?
Advertisement
25-06-2011, 12:00   #10
CJhaughey

EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.
25-06-2011, 12:43   #11
gh1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.

What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.
25-06-2011, 15:24   #12
yawnstretch

Quote:

What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.
That's a terrific question. I'd prefer to eat an animal that ate GM/irradiated food than eat the affected food directly (puts me one step away) but yeah- crap in, crap out.
25-06-2011, 17:34   #13
CJhaughey

My opinion?
I have eaten supermarket meat. I still do.
I don't have a lot of choice really as I can only grow a limited amount of my own meat in any given year.
BUT when I feed my pigs I buy Organic feedstuff, its not cheap but I think its worth it.
I would prefer if there was no GM meal in the majority of feedstuffs but thats the way it is and I can't do much about it.
Safety? who knows what GM stuff does? It hasn't been around long enough to know. What worries me more is the chemical residues that are probably contained by the GM cereals, they can tolerate sprays of herbicides like Roundup as they are designed to.
That and the whole ethical issue of companies like Monsanto controlling the lives of millions of farmers in the developing world...
(2) thanks from:
26-06-2011, 17:50   #14
Corsendonk
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawnstretch View Post
I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice
Most spices in Europe are irradiated. Irradiation is a costly process so only used on high value lines like spices.
26-06-2011, 17:56   #15
Corsendonk
Closed Account

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
As said above GMO crops are required to be labelled. Aldi actually source a good bit of its produce from Irish farmers who supply the other multiples in Ireland too.
Thread Closed