Does ADLI (German Brand Supermarket) have 'GMO' vegetables and fruits? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-06-2011, 16:49   #1
gh1979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PAX
Posts: 37
Does ADLI (German Brand Supermarket) have 'GMO' vegetables and fruits?

Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.
gh1979 is offline  
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 17:41   #2
Rhalliord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1979 View Post
Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I eat them and I havent gotten sick since the outbreak occured if thats any help?
Rhalliord is offline  
24-06-2011, 17:51   #3
Paulw
Registered User
 
Paulw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dublin
Posts: 10,481
Why not contact them and ask???

From their website -

If you have a corporate or general enquiry write to us at:

Aldi Stores, Newbridge Road, Naas, County Kildare

Or telephone: 1800 509 324
Paulw is offline  
Thanks from:
24-06-2011, 18:34   #4
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,972
I can understand your concerns, but their carrots are Irish grown, their spuds are from Meath and their mushrooms are from Monaghan if that is any help?

They do source what they can locally as far as i know.

I get most fruit and veg there and i have not sprouted any extra limbs yet... that i have noticed.
Access is offline  
24-06-2011, 18:45   #5
dudara
Category Moderator
 
dudara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 19,367
Moved to Food & Drink

dudara
dudara is online now  
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 18:55   #6
Trevor451
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1979 View Post
Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I never bought anything in Aldi before but as far as I know GMO food is banned in the European Union. I believe that some farm animals are fed GM feed though
Trevor451 is offline  
25-06-2011, 09:41   #7
CJhaughey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,170
If I understand the legislation correctly GMO food has to be marked as such and cannot be sold as normal food.
Farm animals that have been fed nuts/concentrate have usually been eating GMO feed, most of the Soy is GMO and states it on the pack.
CJhaughey is online now  
Thanks from:
25-06-2011, 10:19   #8
yawnstretch
Registered User
 
yawnstretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 846
I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice
yawnstretch is offline  
25-06-2011, 10:24   #9
efb
Registered User
 
efb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In your wet dream
Posts: 18,944
What about DUNNES STORES, TESCO, SUPER VALU, SUPERQUINN or LIDL?
efb is online now  
Advertisement
25-06-2011, 12:00   #10
CJhaughey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,170
EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.
CJhaughey is online now  
25-06-2011, 12:43   #11
gh1979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PAX
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.

What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.
gh1979 is offline  
25-06-2011, 15:24   #12
yawnstretch
Registered User
 
yawnstretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1979 View Post


What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.
That's a terrific question. I'd prefer to eat an animal that ate GM/irradiated food than eat the affected food directly (puts me one step away) but yeah- crap in, crap out.
yawnstretch is offline  
25-06-2011, 17:34   #13
CJhaughey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,170
My opinion?
I have eaten supermarket meat. I still do.
I don't have a lot of choice really as I can only grow a limited amount of my own meat in any given year.
BUT when I feed my pigs I buy Organic feedstuff, its not cheap but I think its worth it.
I would prefer if there was no GM meal in the majority of feedstuffs but thats the way it is and I can't do much about it.
Safety? who knows what GM stuff does? It hasn't been around long enough to know. What worries me more is the chemical residues that are probably contained by the GM cereals, they can tolerate sprays of herbicides like Roundup as they are designed to.
That and the whole ethical issue of companies like Monsanto controlling the lives of millions of farmers in the developing world...
CJhaughey is online now  
(2) thanks from:
26-06-2011, 17:50   #14
Corsendonk
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawnstretch View Post
I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice
Most spices in Europe are irradiated. Irradiation is a costly process so only used on high value lines like spices.
Corsendonk is offline  
26-06-2011, 17:56   #15
Corsendonk
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh1979 View Post
Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.
As said above GMO crops are required to be labelled. Aldi actually source a good bit of its produce from Irish farmers who supply the other multiples in Ireland too.
Corsendonk is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search