Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North County Dublin
Cheapest Form of Golf Membership
As the man said, “you pays your money and you takes your choice”. It all depends on what you want, how often you play and how you want to dole out your money.
Aside from personalised “slagging” matches between the Full and Country membership camps, let’s look at some of the most pertinent facts:
Assuming annual Membership = €1,200 (Full) and €180 (Country), costs are roughly the same if you play about 35 comps/rounds/year. More than 35 times a year – Full membership starts to become cheaper. Easy payment plans can help spread cost over the year.
Aside from cost factors and a wish to play at lots of different courses, membership of a local club in Dublin / Cork offers certain advantages, including:
• Location of the golf course is a huge factor in determining how often you play. The closer the golf course, the easier to get there, practice, improve your game.
• You have priority tee time access – subject to slot availability on club timesheet system, e.g. certain times may be restricted to competitions, booked before you by other members, etc.
• Easier to get out and play when you want than having to ring around for green fee slots.
• Discounts on buggies / guest green fees / practice balls.
• Member only tee times / competitions.
• Almost unlimited use of clubhouse, locker room and practice facilities
• Opportunity to meet, play golf with and get to know other members
• You feel you are part of a club – opportunities to socialise, social events, member competitions / leagues / have a say in running the club.
Whether you opt for full, 5 day, country or any other form of membership:
• Find a club that fits your lifestyle, where you will feel both comfortable and welcome, with friendly staff and a friendly atmosphere.
• Find a course to fit your skill levels - challenging but not so much that you will become frustrated.
• Being a member at a club you will want to play a lot more.
• Before becoming a golf course member, "shop around", each club will have its own particular feel and membership costs.