Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-02-2012, 14:58   #4066
premierstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the home of hurling
Posts: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuilder View Post
Its no wonder Rangers fans don't post in this thread anymore, its a load of bollocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle1880 View Post

The media can **** right off.
LOL The cracks are starting to show boys! Its almost as bad as Ally's post match interview on Saturday, I actually thought he was going to cry
premierstone is online now  
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 16:12   #4067
Jelle1880
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cork
Posts: 5,959
If you say so...
Jelle1880 is offline  
20-02-2012, 16:50   #4068
ColeTrain
Registered User
 
ColeTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maigh Eo
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuilder View Post
Its no wonder Rangers fans don't post in this thread anymore, its a load of bollocks.
How many Rangers fans were posting in it anyway? You could nearly count on one hand
ColeTrain is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:03   #4069
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrain View Post
How many Rangers fans were posting in it anyway? You could nearly count on one hand
Enough for sellik fans to want this thread created.

Shame the rules of that thread have rarely been followed in this one though eh?
Eirebear is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:13   #4070
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,497
So - in summary.

Fenian is used as a catch all term to mean catholics and is therefore offensive, sectarian and bigoted.
Hun is not used as a catch all term for anyone except Rangers supporters although Hearts, Killie, Ayr, St Mirren and other clubs have been called Huns in the past due to the fact they "Act Like Rangers Supporters" whatever that means, and is therefore not offensive, sectarian or bigoted.

You couldnt make it up.
Eirebear is offline  
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 17:19   #4071
PauloMN
Moderator
 
PauloMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Co. Meath
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrain View Post
How many Rangers fans were posting in it anyway? You could nearly count on one hand
Depends on whether you include the "SPL supporters" in your count.
PauloMN is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:30   #4072
Old Gill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirebear View Post
So - in summary.

Fenian is used as a catch all term to mean catholics and is therefore offensive, sectarian and bigoted.
Hun is not used as a catch all term for anyone except Rangers supporters although Hearts, Killie, Ayr, St Mirren and other clubs have been called Huns in the past due to the fact they "Act Like Rangers Supporters" whatever that means, and is therefore not offensive, sectarian or bigoted.

You couldnt make it up.

Instances of this are fairly rare. Hearts would be the only club that get called this on any sort of regular basis (the mini's or diets) and the reason for this would be obvious to anyone who has visited tynecastle and heard their songbook or witnessed them celebrating each goal rangers scored v killie when celtic hosted hearts on last day of season. The reference being that they are similar to the huns but smaller.
Old Gill is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:35   #4073
KeithAFC
Banned
 
KeithAFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ulster
Posts: 10,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirebear View Post
So - in summary.

Fenian is used as a catch all term to mean catholics and is therefore offensive, sectarian and bigoted.
Hun is not used as a catch all term for anyone except Rangers supporters although Hearts, Killie, Ayr, St Mirren and other clubs have been called Huns in the past due to the fact they "Act Like Rangers Supporters" whatever that means, and is therefore not offensive, sectarian or bigoted.

You couldnt make it up.
It is anti Protestant, anti British chant. Simple as that.
KeithAFC is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:36   #4074
The_Kew_Tour
Registered User
 
The_Kew_Tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Be like a Russian Peasant in French Patisserie
Posts: 20,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirebear View Post
So - in summary.

Fenian is used as a catch all term to mean catholics and is therefore offensive, sectarian and bigoted.
Hun is not used as a catch all term for anyone except Rangers supporters although Hearts, Killie, Ayr, St Mirren and other clubs have been called Huns in the past due to the fact they "Act Like Rangers Supporters" whatever that means, and is therefore not offensive, sectarian or bigoted.

You couldnt make it up.

Killie and St Mirren supporters I know just support their own club.
The_Kew_Tour is offline  
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 17:41   #4075
Jelle1880
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cork
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrain View Post
How many Rangers fans were posting in it anyway? You could nearly count on one hand
Same could be said of the Celtic fans, that is until Rangers went into administration, lost the league and lo and behold: More appear out of nowhere
Jelle1880 is offline  
20-02-2012, 17:56   #4076
PauloMN
Moderator
 
PauloMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Co. Meath
Posts: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAFC View Post
It is anti Protestant, anti British chant. Simple as that.
Absolute bollocks Keith.

"The Protestants/British are going bust"? WTF does that mean?
PauloMN is offline  
20-02-2012, 18:39   #4077
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gill View Post
Instances of this are fairly rare. Hearts would be the only club that get called this on any sort of regular basis (the mini's or diets) and the reason for this would be obvious to anyone who has visited tynecastle and heard their songbook or witnessed them celebrating each goal rangers scored v killie when celtic hosted hearts on last day of season. The reference being that they are similar to the huns but smaller.
So - in summary.

Fenian is used as a catch all term to mean catholics and is therefore offensive, sectarian and bigoted.
Hun is not used as a catch all term for anyone except Rangers supporters although Hearts, Killie, Ayr, St Mirren and other clubs have been called Huns in the past due to the fact they "Act Like Rangers Supporters" whatever that means, although this is "fairly rare" and is therefore not offensive, sectarian or bigoted.

You couldnt make it up.
Eirebear is offline  
20-02-2012, 18:44   #4078
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,497
Oh! I forgot to add to that summary!

When Celtic fans talk about fenians, or sing about fenians - this is of course in an entirely different manner to the "Catch all term for catholics" and is therefore not insinuating religious boundaries whatsoever.
Eirebear is offline  
20-02-2012, 19:20   #4079
Coillte_Bhoy
Registered User
 
Coillte_Bhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mayo
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirebear View Post
Oh! I forgot to add to that summary!

When Celtic fans talk about fenians, or sing about fenians - this is of course in an entirely different manner to the "Catch all term for catholics" and is therefore not insinuating religious boundaries whatsoever.
correct
Coillte_Bhoy is offline  
20-02-2012, 19:22   #4080
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coillte_Bhoy View Post
correct
We have our first contestant! Come on down, it's time for our weekly game of Cake, Or Eat It?
Eirebear is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search