Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What Grade do you expect in Applied Maths?
A1 11 6.21%
A2 11 6.21%
B1 11 6.21%
Lower B 11 6.21%
C 11 6.21%
D 11 6.21%
Fail 0 0%
Let's not worry about it and concentrate on preparing for the exam ... 111 62.71%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

21-06-2011, 20:49   #31
deiseguuy93

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisityfer View Post
Anyone have any quick tips on deciding where to take your moments about on Q7? Always seem to pick the wrong place, and end up with reams of useless equations. I usually try to either eliminate unnecessary variables (reactions etc) or just eliminate as many as possible, but I always seem to fudge it up.
do your force diagrams first and then pick a point where you can have easy horizontal distances! that or go for the part that seems to have the most going on. Or go for the far left/right
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 00:15   #32
japester

Very good advice for applied maths exam is to make sure you write down the equations of motion/force in the various questions correctly e.g. in collisions, get the PCM and NEL right (in the log book also), in the kinematics get the equations of motion right (in the log book too) as they are worth a good chunk of the marks - the manipulation of equations to get the final results, while it may take a lot of time & effort, is generally not worth a lot of the marks overall and people invariable get bogged down, even though they may have just made a small arithmetical slip or blunder in a formula. Take some time to pick out your best question and then attempt this first. Definitely move on your next best question after 25 minutes have elapsed, irrespective of how far you have got with it. The 2.5 hours goes very fast and 6 questions is a fair amount of work to do. Q10 (a) may well be the best question to start with if you can integrate, as it is varies little from year to year, also Q10(b) usually is very predictable involving variable forces, acceleration, velocity, displacement etc. I have a feeling that a study of hydrostatics could pay dividends if people took the time to look at it, as there is not a massive amount of material to cover. Hope this info helps someone out there.
Thanks from:
22-06-2011, 15:47   #33
LilMissCiara

Anybody else well and truely fúcked for this?! :O
Thanks from:
22-06-2011, 17:13   #34
yannfann
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissCiara View Post
Anybody else well and truely fúcked for this?! :O
That's an understatement to say the least
But it's the last one and there's a night of drinking ahead so I'm not letting it bother me
22-06-2011, 17:28   #35
Pegmin

Its difficult to stay focused for this when the finish is so close...(O.o)

Hoping a nice Q7 will come up!=)
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 17:32   #36
LilMissCiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannfann View Post
That's an understatement to say the least
But it's the last one and there's a night of drinking ahead so I'm not letting it bother me
I have seriously neglected it and I need a B2... Won't get that obviously!

But yes, Friday Night...... Cannot wait!
22-06-2011, 17:40   #37
yannfann
Closed Account

Quote:
I have seriously neglected it and I need a B2... Won't get that obviously!

But yes, Friday Night...... Cannot wait!
Most of the marks go for setting up the questions though, so once you get the equations written out you should be close enough to a b2 and then some attempt marks from trying to work them out youll be grand!
I'm so tempted to go out thursday night too because all my friends are finished then :/ Buuuuuut past experiences tell me maths isn't too easy hungover xD
22-06-2011, 17:46   #38
LilMissCiara

Quote:
Most of the marks go for setting up the questions though, so once you get the equations written out you should be close enough to a b2 and then some attempt marks from trying to work them out youll be grand!
I'm so tempted to go out thursday night too because all my friends are finished then :/ Buuuuuut past experiences tell me maths isn't too easy hungover xD
Haha, bad idea me thinks..! Especially when it's a morning exam..! The old 'Ah sure I'll only go out for one, I'll be home by 12'' never works!

It sucks, all my friends have finished today, or earlier!
22-06-2011, 18:16   #39
yannfann
Closed Account

Quote:
Haha, bad idea me thinks..! Especially when it's a morning exam..! The old 'Ah sure I'll only go out for one, I'll be home by 12'' never works!

It sucks, all my friends have finished today, or earlier!
Sure why not just stay out all night and stumble into the exam in the morning Perfect solution methinks :L Hmmm I'm lucky though, I dont need applied maths for points!
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 18:45   #40
LilMissCiara

Quote:
Sure why not just stay out all night and stumble into the exam in the morning Perfect solution methinks :L Hmmm I'm lucky though, I dont need applied maths for points!
I do..! I dropped History in school (did App Maths out side of school) because it was such a tediously boring subject (and the teacher was dreadful!). I don't regret dropping History, I regret not doing something else at the start!

I do pass Irish, so Applied Maths is one of my 6 honours..! I never covered collisions in the class I went to (I stopped going after Easter) so I get stuck in the b parts..!

Haha.. Spoz I get stuck in the whole paper really..! :L
22-06-2011, 18:54   #41
yannfann
Closed Account

Quote:
I do..! I dropped History in school (did App Maths out side of school) because it was such a tediously boring subject (and the teacher was dreadful!). I don't regret dropping History, I regret not doing something else at the start!

I do pass Irish, so Applied Maths is one of my 6 honours..! I never covered collisions in the class I went to (I stopped going after Easter) so I get stuck in the b parts..!

Haha.. Spoz I get stuck in the whole paper really..! :L
I may as well have dropped history and done pass Irish for all the good they are to me points-wise :/ Made a total mess of both the papers! Expecting d's in each :/ but I'm grand with the other 5 i've done so far so all I want is to pass Applied maths now
http://thephysicsteacher.ie/appliedmathshome.html
I found this useful for getting a grasp on collisions. If you havent seen it before give it a glance!
22-06-2011, 19:10   #42
Geog ariphic

Quote:
I found this useful for getting a grasp on collisions. If you havent seen it before give it a glance!
This dude, for the sections he has actually covered, is a wonder. I was barely able to do a nice q10a before, and now i breeze through most q10s. He's a massive help.

For proofs/theorems - our teacher just told us learn what was in the book and write that out, DID NOT teach them to us, and the book was more of an explaination so that we could understand what was going on, not a concise proof.

If anyone has these down, or a link where i could find them, that'd be fantastic, cos i really don't know if what i write for them is correct.
22-06-2011, 19:11   #43
LilMissCiara

Quote:
I may as well have dropped history and done pass Irish for all the good they are to me points-wise :/ Made a total mess of both the papers! Expecting d's in each :/ but I'm grand with the other 5 i've done so far so all I want is to pass Applied maths now
Yeah I have them notes but didn't think they were that great..!

Yeah I've been so happy so far with everything, except Pass Irish, so I need to do well in this or else I'll be counting Irish..!
22-06-2011, 19:15   #44
yannfann
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geog ariphic View Post
This dude, for the sections he has actually covered, is a wonder. I was barely able to do a nice q10a before, and now i breeze through most q10s. He's a massive help.

For proofs/theorems - our teacher just told us learn what was in the book and write that out, DID NOT teach them to us, and the book was more of an explaination so that we could understand what was going on, not a concise proof.

If anyone has these down, or a link where i could find them, that'd be fantastic, cos i really don't know if what i write for them is correct.
Proofs/theorems? eh whaaat ? I've never heard of such a thing in Applied maths :s

Quote:
Yeah I have them notes but didn't think they were that great..!

Yeah I've been so happy so far with everything, except Pass Irish, so I need to do well in this or else I'll be counting Irish..!
Well collisions part b is till only 1/12 of the exam! So you could still easily get the b2!
22-06-2011, 19:17   #45
Geog ariphic

Quote:
Proofs/theorems? eh whaaat ? I've never heard of such a thing in Applied maths :s
There's five or six of them, in statics only. About Lamini (pl lamina?) and forces.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion