Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-12-2011, 16:58   #76
Delancey
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-22 View Post
Tbh I can see the need for some of the retired officers being needed again, as they may have some required experience and skills that the new and younger officer/Detectives might not have. Particularly in dealing with terrorists groups.

What is was surprised at, was the numbers bring rehired. But there you go.

Anyway, it now seems all my efforts at passing all the tests, medicals and vetting will be worthless as there hasn't even been a romour of any more recruitment. I guess they aren't short staffed.....
While I would agree that there may a need for a small number of retired officers it really seems ridiculous that hundreds have been hired , large numbers being rehired suggests the severance scheme suffered management shortcomings in how it was implemented.

PSNI management will have to justify all this expenditure at at time when they propose to close around 40% of Police Stations citing funding needs.
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 23:18   #77
Delancey
Closed Account

PSNI have now revealed that three quarters of civilian staff on contract are ex- Police Officers - in excess of 300 are currently employed.
Interesting that this information is now at hand despite the assertion that such records were not kept

According to the Deputy Chief Constable there are plans to reduce ( though not eliminate ) the number of these contract employees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16600069
18-01-2012, 18:05   #78
gigity gigity

Plans to reduce!! What when they all actually reach retirement age!:roll eyes:
Don't get me wrong I'm sure they have useful skills but there is bound to be some anger about the money the received and the money they are getting now!
19-01-2012, 20:32   #79
Delancey
Closed Account

Check out BBC Newsline

They carried an interview today with a former RUC officer who took the Patten package in 2001 ( got £180,000 lump sum plus a pension of £24,000 pa. ).
He was re-employed as driver by the PSNI 4 years later without even applying for the job much less an interview.
He told of a Traffic Sergeant who left on a Friday and the following Monday was back working for the Police.
Jobs for the boys or what !!
21-03-2012, 10:08   #80
Dr_watson

Well I'm delighted to say that I have been offered the post and have accepted. I did have my suspicions about this being a job designed for ex police. I am happy to say that these seem to be unfounded as I have no previous experience of working with police or criminal justice. :-)
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 12:34   #81
Delancey
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_watson View Post
Well I'm delighted to say that I have been offered the post and have accepted. I did have my suspicions about this being a job designed for ex police. I am happy to say that these seem to be unfounded as I have no previous experience of working with police or criminal justice. :-)
The experience of 1 individual doesn't really count for much , I remain deeply skeptical of these Investigator roles , I would have hoped that an FOI request would give the whole picture but I suspect such a request would be met with a denial that the PSNI keeps such records.

Perhaps an enterprising member of the Policing Board might table such a question to the Chief Constable ?
21-03-2012, 18:47   #82
kitchensink

Dr Watson, great news about getting one of the posts. I failed at the interview stage. Good luck for the future.
22-03-2012, 23:50   #83
Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_watson View Post
Don't be surprised if several people on this forum don't believe you are a genuine poster.
Thanks from:
06-10-2012, 22:32   #84
arizonahawk
Closed Account

Hi, for those of you who applied for the ASO jobs can anyone actually confirm if they got an offer? I applied for the ASO jobs as well as the NIPS vacancies and got into the merit pool for both. I was told by Grafton that I would remain in the merit pool for one year which is now nearly up and I asked them recently where I was in that pool. I am actually quite high up the list yet have never received any offer of a vacancy. Was this all due to this "jobs for the boys" craic that has been going on? What is the point of all this advertising for people who then have to arrange days off work to get to the assessment centres, maybe even having to pay for childcare to cover the time taken to do it, for a vacancy to never appear? I am really angry about this as people genuinely applied for these jobs in the hope they would get one!

Last edited by arizonahawk; 06-10-2012 at 22:37. Reason: spelling error
Advertisement
07-10-2012, 22:53   #85
Delancey
Closed Account

I always suspected this was a ' jobs for the boys ' , worth noting that this week it emerged that almost 25% of RUC Officers who left under Patten were subsequently re-employed by the PSNI.
I like my co-moderator remain to be convinced as to the bona fides of the 2 individuals who posted here claiming to have no Police background and yet say they were successful in this competition.

I always said it was jobs for the boys and have yet to see evidence that this is not indeed the case.
Thanks from:
08-10-2012, 21:00   #86
arizonahawk
Closed Account

I am a cynical person by nature but I definitely did smell a rat when I asked for my merit pool number to be told that I was really high up the order yet never received an offer at all. I queried External Appointments via email about how many of the merit pool higher than me had been appointed and how realistic it would be for me to actually get offered a place. I got a reply saying that they were unable to disclose the figures involved and that any future vacancies could not be predicted. So what was the point of it all?? How many of us applied in the hope we would get a job and some security for our homes and bills etc? All a complete farce in my opinion. I heard that the PSNI are considering recruiting part-time staff but that the selection process would be different. How many of you would actually go through all that palava again?! Surely they could just recruit from the merit pool - I am sure I am not the only one sitting anxiously waiting!?
08-10-2012, 21:02   #87
arizonahawk
Closed Account

oh aye, how do you thank a post on here? I don't see a thanks option.
08-10-2012, 22:03   #88
M2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonahawk View Post
oh aye, how do you thank a post on here? I don't see a thanks option.
The wee thumbs up symbol that's bottom right of the post.
09-10-2012, 18:07   #89
arizonahawk
Closed Account

Thanks M2010 though the only options at the bottom right of the posts when I log on are the quote, multiquote and quick reply buttons.
15-10-2012, 22:44   #90
Dr_watson

New Jobs

Well as a Genuine poster I can say that at the end of training for the role there was talk of another intake of Assistant Investigators starting training in January and I would say that these people would be drawn from the existing merit list as there was at least 20 people on the list that didn't get an offer. On my training course there was only 2 people out of 14 that had previous police background. Can't really understand the whole conspiracy theory. Ever think that u didn't get the job because there was someone better than u? Have to go, Elvis just landed in my back garden and were heading out for burgers.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion