Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-08-2011, 15:08   #46
siv4444

Well done:-) Good to hear your from a non police background, sounds promising!!
I too am from a non police background, no word tho, going to stay hopeful now tho!!
Did they give you much notice for the assessment date?
Advertisement
21-08-2011, 15:31   #47
kitchensink

I got the same letter as EG84.
I was wandering if EG84 has any backgrounds in investigations?
21-08-2011, 15:38   #48
siv4444

Oh no im raging now!! Did you take it from the original letter that there were only contacting successful canditates by end of week?
What is your background kitchensink?
21-08-2011, 15:54   #49
kitchensink

Hey Sivv444, my background is non police and have been working as a civilian investigator for a number of years.
I'm not sure how grafton are handling the process. I would maybe leave it aday or two as any delays could be due to the numbers that applied.
21-08-2011, 15:56   #50
siv4444

Yes my experience of Grafton has always been that they are never to the date stated! Although my only experience on my application is in relation to uni work I have no employment experience of investigating.
Advertisement
21-08-2011, 19:18   #51
Delancey
Closed Account

Moderator Note - Forgive me for mentioning it again but please be sure not to give out details of dates , times , venues , etc in relation to assessments for any PSNI job.
Good luck to those going forward in the process.
21-08-2011, 22:27   #52
EG84

Thanks Siv4444 I have experience of fraud investigations in my current role but after reading this forum was sure my application wouldn't go any further!! Hopefully you get word in the next day or two.
23-08-2011, 10:30   #53
ElizaB

I do not wish to start DietCoke on one of his anti FTR rants, however I would like to point out that while the role of FTR was primarily security, many went far beyond what was expected or required of them, completing files etc often better than any other officer!

Good luck to those of you who have been shortlisted. From my perspective, it is important that the new roles will employ people with relevant experience who will understand the job. Otherwise, what is the point? People would not expect to be employed as a hospital consultant without proper experience!
23-08-2011, 13:03   #54
EG84

Are you implying that the jobs should be given to ex police staff and not to candidates from a non police background? The role is a civilian assistant investigator not a senior investigating officer. A better comparison would be a house officer not consultant... as it is a junior position within the department. All shortlisted canidates will have met the criteria whatever their background. I'm sure the agency will complete a fair recruitment campaign and the best people for the job will prevail.
Advertisement
23-08-2011, 18:26   #55
ElizaB

EG84, I think you are being slightly pedantic regarding the comparison - the point is quite simple, relevant experience is required for most jobs. If you read my post properly, I think you may realise that I did not imply anything in relation to who should be shortlisted, I simply stated that some form of experience, regardless of how or where gained, is important.

I did also wish all those shortlisted good luck in the process, as all those shortlisted clearly meet the criteria.

What I am against is the "jobs for the boys" mentality. As I have said, most jobs require some sort of relevant experience.

Criticism of the job spec is a pointless exercise. Ok, so maybe they have sat down and considered the fact that there is a number of people out there who may have more relevant experience than others, why not use this? Makes sense to me. If they want a certain skill set, that is up to them. It is a bit like someone with a business degree griping because they can't apply for a job as a marine biologist - wouldn't happen, would it?
23-08-2011, 22:25   #56
kitchensink

Siv4444, are you still waiting?
25-08-2011, 00:29   #57
siv4444

Got my dear john this evening after work! Im raging would have loved the role of the job! Good luck to the rest of you, il be keeping an eye on here to see how the process goes!
25-08-2011, 00:54   #58
Delancey
Closed Account

Sorry to hear your disappointing news Siv , thanks for sharing your experience here.
25-08-2011, 12:41   #59
Dietcoke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaB View Post
I do not wish to start DietCoke on one of his anti FTR rants, however I would like to point out that while the role of FTR was primarily security, many went far beyond what was expected or required of them, completing files etc often better than any other officer!

Good luck to those of you who have been shortlisted. From my perspective, it is important that the new roles will employ people with relevant experience who will understand the job. Otherwise, what is the point? People would not expect to be employed as a hospital consultant without proper experience!
Sorry ElizB but in my EXPERIENCE I cannot think of one FTR who went "Far beyond what was expected or required of them".

A small number(And I mean SMALL) did complete the odd file however this would have consisted of straight foward files such as No Insurance etc. Anything more than that and it would be investigated by a police officer.

Sorry for the "anti FTR rant" but I had to have my say
25-08-2011, 17:34   #60
Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietcoke1 View Post
Sorry for the "anti FTR rant"
The forum just wouldn't be the same without it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion