Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2011, 14:52   #16
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
Because NDS is really much better at security than Sony, Apple etc as they are consumer marketing companies and NDS is a dedicated Electronic Security company, with maybe the most secure card scheme in the world?
That and the fact that they have extremely shady and sinister people in charge of their Israeli base.
Advertisement
16-06-2011, 15:57   #17
Dman001

I've been using this method for the last year or so OP and works fine:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=64023019
16-06-2011, 21:22   #18
Mike 1972
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Santa View Post
actually I thought this would of been the main reason for people to have tried to hack a sky box, basically just for the ability to say they were the people to have done it
TBH Id imagine if anyone ever does/already has hacked their $ky box theyd keep pretty quiet about it if theyve any sense at all.

Obligatory Disclaimer: hacking your $ky box is baaddd mmmkaaayyyyy
16-06-2011, 23:39   #19
zerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 1972 View Post
TBH Id imagine if anyone ever does/already has hacked their Sky box theyd keep pretty quiet about it if theyve any sense at all.

Obligatory Disclaimer: hacking your Sky box is baaddd mmmkaaayyyyy
This pretty much covers hacking Skyboxes. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/...l#zza24y1990s9

It's illegal folks,the op is discussing accessing services that have to be paid for as they want to use the box to record after cancelling their Sky sub.

The pull out your valid card trick to record 'other channels' is ok as you are still paying a subscription,however hacking the equipment to circumvent a subscription service is illegal.
17-06-2011, 01:48   #20
enfant terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
That and the fact that they have extremely shady and sinister people in charge of their Israeli base.
What are you on about?
Advertisement
17-06-2011, 11:12   #21
watty

It's not illegal Zerks to hack it to receive or record FTA TV. It's not a rental box. The owners own it.

It's only illegal to hack it to circumvent subscription on payTV. The Recording subscription for FTA is likely suspect as it's essentially renting you HW you already bought and would not be covered unless it was a rented box.

There are plenty of non-sky boxes and every PC card that record FTA TV legally without subscription. To call recording of FTA TV on Satellite a service that has to be paid for on a box you own is sharp practice and I'd love to see Sky lose that in Court.

It would be illegal to hack a UPC box to record unencrypted Cable TV as there is NO free cable and UPC own the cable box forever.

Last edited by watty; 17-06-2011 at 11:18.
Thanks from:
17-06-2011, 14:22   #22
Carter P Fly

Agreed 100% Theres tons of sky boxes out there doing nothing that the owner actually owns and if there was a way to recycle these as FTA DVR's then that would be great and save a lot of people a good deal of cash.

I'd actually consider the card flip trick to be more dodgy then jailbreaking a Sky box to use as a FTA PVR.

BUT, Sky own the intelectual rights to the software so hacking it is illegal. You can own the hardware but not the software.

Last edited by Carter P Fly; 17-06-2011 at 14:28.
17-06-2011, 15:33   #23
watty

Putting your own software is not illegal
making changes to the sw installed is not either as long as you are not distributing the SW and it doesn't enable any bypass of PayTV subscription. The issue with mods to Xbox, PS3, Nintendo etc is that all of those are to run pirated copies of commercial products.

There are legitimate "hacks" to many TVs, DVD, Set-boxes that are nothing to do with payTV.

There is nothing dodgy about "card trick". When you do that it's only able to receive FTA content.
Thanks from:
17-06-2011, 15:52   #24
The Dark Knight

Does anybody know why Sky haven't been brought to court on this?

I see this situation similar to mobile phone unlocking.
Mobile phone companies now have to give you an unlock code for you phone once you are out of contract.
You own the hardware and you should be allowed to use it in any Legal way.
In this case.....using a sim from another Mobile Phone network.
In the sky box case.... recording channels that are FTA.
Advertisement
17-06-2011, 16:45   #25
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfant terrible View Post
What are you on about?
Google some of the people NDS have working in their anti piracy dept in Israel and you will get your answer.
Quote:
Does anybody know why Sky haven't been brought to court on this?
Uncle Rupert and his connections
17-06-2011, 16:48   #26
watty

Or even being able to use more than 27500 and 22000 SR in other channels.
Being able to enter DVB-S2 parameters on Sky HD boxes.

They only have "other channels" at all as a nod to Premiere in Germany losing a court case over only allowing PayTV EPG channels of Premiere on the box.
Thanks from:
17-06-2011, 23:24   #27
timmydel1

Quote:
Because NDS is really much better at security than Sony, Apple etc as they are consumer marketing companies and NDS is a dedicated Electronic Security company, with maybe the most secure card scheme in the world?
Hi Watty, you probably realised ,as I see in your later posts that I did not mean hacking the box to receive pay tv channels, but mainly putting other software on it to enable recording again.
This would be ideal as no manufacturer seems to have achieved the simplicity of operation of the sky box pause,record,rewind features (or am I wrong ? ) I know for a fact that my parents would dump sky in the morning if their box continued to have these still working for fta channels.
18-06-2011, 00:12   #28
Kristopherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydel1 View Post
Hi Watty, you probably realised ,as I see in your later posts that I did not mean hacking the box to receive pay tv channels, but mainly putting other software on it to enable recording again.
This would be ideal as no manufacturer seems to have achieved the simplicity of operation of the sky box pause,record,rewind features (or am I wrong ? ) I know for a fact that my parents would dump sky in the morning if their box continued to have these still working for fta channels.
Then maybe they might be interested in this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056284276
18-06-2011, 10:29   #29
watty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopherus View Post
Then maybe they might be interested in this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056284276
No, that's generic for satellite. To have Sky like simplicity on Satellite you need a Freesat HD PVR,
Thanks from:
22-06-2011, 18:15   #30
bennyineire

C'mon guys surly there is a way around this

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size