Navfree sat nav with onboard maps - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-06-2011, 13:56   #1
Zilog

Navfree sat nav with onboard maps

Have this on my wife's iPhone and see it's recently released for Android. Download from the Expansys website (curious there is no download from Navmii, the developers website!).

On the iPhone it worked well on a recent cross country trip. Ireland and UK maps are provided for free, with the option of purchasing maps for other countries. Have installed on my Galaxy S but haven't got the chance to use yet.

First impressions it looks very similar to iPhone version. Voices are sampled so sound a lot better than Google Navigation, but does not do text-to-speech. Considering the way Google murders Irish street names, this may be an advantage!!

Obviously the USP compared to Google Nav is that the maps are onboard, rather than using up data allowance, or roaming data when abroad.
Advertisement
03-06-2011, 20:22   #2
scudzilla

downloaded this but when i open it nothing happens, just goes to back to screen i was on, using Desire HD 2.3
03-06-2011, 21:00   #3
BeciMester

Same as scudzilla above, on a Desire running Oxygen 2.1.3 (Gingerbread) nothing happens when clicking the icon. Right after install it opened a blank browser page but that's all the activity I've seen out of it. (Edit: now that I've reinstalled it didn't do it, I think it just threw me back to the browser I started it from before.)

Edit: same results on the GF's stock Wildfire S. Shame.

Last edited by BeciMester; 03-06-2011 at 22:02.
04-06-2011, 07:32   #4
gbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudzilla View Post
downloaded this but when i open it nothing happens, just goes to back to screen i was on, using Desire HD 2.3
It's probably an issue with 2.3, I've a navigon.apk that I've installed on five or six six different phones, and worked really well until I upgraded them to gingerbread, is it worth going back to froyo to find out?
04-06-2011, 07:35   #5
Zilog

Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble installing. Just a thought: as it's a 'sideloaded' app, do you have 'Unknown sources' selected under 'Applications' in the settings menu?
Installed without any hiccups on my Galaxy S.
On this forum, one of the posters has it running on a Desire HD. Another thought - Navfree required 2.2 Froyo or greater to run.
Advertisement
04-06-2011, 07:59   #6
BeciMester

@gbob: nothing's worth going back to Froyo. Nothing.

@Zilog: as this didn't come from the Market, it couldn't have been installed in the first place if Unknown Sources is not ticked. It installed fine, it just doesn't run.
04-06-2011, 08:13   #7
Zilog

Looks like it might be a Gingerbread issue all right.
04-06-2011, 22:54   #8
ninja 12

Just tried on a Desire S , same result as other gingerbread users , it just shows a black screen then exits .
05-06-2011, 20:29   #9
BeciMester

Update: uninstalling Navfree took my install of Google Maps with it, don't know why or how but I had to reinstall Maps.
Advertisement
05-06-2011, 22:21   #10
mickoneill30
Banned

Doesn't work on my Xoom (Honeycomb 3.1) either.
08-06-2011, 17:32   #11
niallb

Not working either on Cyanogenmod Desire.
Put the same apk onto my backup Samsung Galaxy Spica running Froyo, and it came up no problem. Not great on searching for Irish addresses though.
08-06-2011, 19:16   #12
Dozen Wicked Words

Off topic but Google Navigation is hopefully going to be fully offline by the summer, link here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/g...armin-and-tom/
(3) thanks from:
09-06-2011, 15:14   #13
ThisRegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeciMester View Post
Update: uninstalling Navfree took my install of Google Maps with it, don't know why or how but I had to reinstall Maps.
When installing I get the message that it's going to replace another application which I presume is google maps.
11-06-2011, 09:48   #14
smoochie06

Has anyone got this to work.
I tried using it and it wouldnt search a route without data on. Then when i turned on data it couldnt find O Connell Street Dublin.

Am i doing something wrong?
12-06-2011, 10:43   #15
OREGATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochie06 View Post
Has anyone got this to work.
I tried using it and it wouldnt search a route without data on. Then when i turned on data it couldnt find O Connell Street Dublin.

Am i doing something wrong?
Seems like no one can get it to install.. What phone/version of android are you using?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion