Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You. - Page 9 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 22:06   #121
jamesbil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 338
any one know what the new regs coming in on 29April re conversions needing to be done by a workshop are?
or where to find them?
jamesbil is offline  
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 01:23   #122
Buford T Justice
Registered User
 
Buford T Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In Pursuit
Posts: 4,689
All you need to know is here

You can still build your own, but it needs to be certified by an NSAI registered garage.
Buford T Justice is offline  
04-04-2012, 11:18   #123
jamesbil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 338
This is where I got the 29 April date; http://bluetdi.blogspot.com/2011/06/...an-status.html
jamesbil is offline  
17-04-2012, 15:57   #124
brian_m
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 86
Hi Guys,

I am toying withe the idea of a camper/day van for my mountain bike excursions. From reading the other threads I have gained a lot of useful knowledge but am still a bit unclear on a few items. A Mazda Bongo would be ideal size wise but they are a bit on the expensive side for what I want and seem quite hard to come by outside the UK. Another suitable vehicle on my radar is a MKII Nissan Serena/Elgranda people carrier. They seem to be priced reasonable and look like they would carry a bit more comfort than a panel van.. What I want is a diesel engine, a rock and roll bed, probably a fridge and a sink set up with a hose to run outside for a quick wash down of the bikes. I am not that bothered with cooking tbh but willing to install a cooking set up to come around reclassification terms. I am confident in carrying out the work myself.

1. My understanding is that the 1.8m rule no longer applies for VRT classification so I am good to go on that front but it may be a motor tax issue depending on who I meet/which tax office I go to?

2. As a Serena is already classed as a private car I would not have any additional VRT liability to pay when its is classed as a camper?

3. Does anyone have any experience of what the storage space stipulation consists of..? As space in a Serena is limited enough I was thinking one or two small cupboards or a roof box for my conversion?

any help appreciated
brian_m is offline  
17-04-2012, 16:05   #125
spaceHopper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,253
There is a nice but old VW day van on done deal at the moment.
spaceHopper is offline  
Advertisement
17-04-2012, 16:28   #126
stevire
Registered User
 
stevire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_m View Post
Hi Guys,

I am toying withe the idea of a camper/day van for my mountain bike excursions. From reading the other threads I have gained a lot of useful knowledge but am still a bit unclear on a few items. A Mazda Bongo would be ideal size wise but they are a bit on the expensive side for what I want and seem quite hard to come by outside the UK. Another suitable vehicle on my radar is a MKII Nissan Serena/Elgranda people carrier. They seem to be priced reasonable and look like they would carry a bit more comfort than a panel van.. What I want is a diesel engine, a rock and roll bed, probably a fridge and a sink set up with a hose to run outside for a quick wash down of the bikes. I am not that bothered with cooking tbh but willing to install a cooking set up to come around reclassification terms. I am confident in carrying out the work myself.

1. My understanding is that the 1.8m rule no longer applies for VRT classification so I am good to go on that front but it may be a motor tax issue depending on who I meet/which tax office I go to?

2. As a Serena is already classed as a private car I would not have any additional VRT liability to pay when its is classed as a camper?

3. Does anyone have any experience of what the storage space stipulation consists of..? As space in a Serena is limited enough I was thinking one or two small cupboards or a roof box for my conversion?

any help appreciated
Best of luck with your venture, whatever you go with in the end!!

1. You shouldn't have any issues when at the motor tax office once the CVO gives it an inspection. Some motor tax offices are also carrying out inspection which rules out the CVO.

2. I'm not fully sure on where the VRT comes into it any more, I had a Private 94 Ambulance up for VRT December 2010 but my latest is a 98 Caravelle down as a Private MPV which didn't require any VRT...

3. You'll need a two gas hob, bed and sink to pass the requirements as a campervan. Haven't heard of any requirements re storage space...

There's new requirements that all work has to be carried out by qualified body/individual. I'm sure there are ways and means around it, but these requirements were due to come into play at the start of this month.
stevire is offline  
17-04-2012, 17:14   #127
brian_m
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper View Post
There is a nice but old VW day van on done deal at the moment.
great, will check it out thanks
brian_m is offline  
17-04-2012, 17:17   #128
brian_m
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevire View Post
Best of luck with your venture, whatever you go with in the end!!

1. You shouldn't have any issues when at the motor tax office once the CVO gives it an inspection. Some motor tax offices are also carrying out inspection which rules out the CVO.

2. I'm not fully sure on where the VRT comes into it any more, I had a Private 94 Ambulance up for VRT December 2010 but my latest is a 98 Caravelle down as a Private MPV which didn't require any VRT...

3. You'll need a two gas hob, bed and sink to pass the requirements as a campervan. Haven't heard of any requirements re storage space...

There's new requirements that all work has to be carried out by qualified body/individual. I'm sure there are ways and means around it, but these requirements were due to come into play at the start of this month.
thanks Steve,

2. Ya i cant imagine anything else is due as full VRT would have been charged on the original registration here when imported from Japan..

3. Ok sounds good, thought i read that somewhere

really... that could scupper the whole plan.. can anyone else mention a way around this if one has been found?
brian_m is offline  
17-04-2012, 18:50   #129
jamesbil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 338
on the Bongo/Serena topic; are these now classed as campers and can they be taxed as such?
jamesbil is offline  
Advertisement
17-04-2012, 21:20   #130
sparrow100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
question for newbie

Hi Guys

I am a young guy just arrived to your beautiful country because of professional reasons. My wife and me want to take the opportunity to discover Irelands beauty in the weekends and are therefor searching for a small campervan, cheap, doesnt have to have a lot of comfort, but just in order for at least 1-3 years of discovering Ireland!

But I am reading all this info about MOT, VRT Etc that I lost my way. For the moment I am looking at 1) an old Nissan van (1995) for 900 EUR (not converted to a camper, but good enough for some mattresses and boxes - commercial vehicle and has a Mot) and

2) an even older Toyota Hiace (1985) for 2200 EUR (converted to camper, needs nct test, low taxes).

Does anyone has advice?

Do I need an extra test to get insurance for 1) or 2)? What will be the prices around?

Is the chance realistic that the old Nissan will not pass the test? (I don't want to use the van only for some months only of course).

What tests will I have to do for 1) or 2)?

MANY thanks for your answer or help, while we are completely lost -
sparrow100 is offline  
17-04-2012, 22:32   #131
moodrater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hotel ducato
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow100 View Post
Hi Guys

I am a young guy just arrived to your beautiful country because of professional reasons. My wife and me want to take the opportunity to discover Irelands beauty in the weekends and are therefor searching for a small campervan, cheap, doesnt have to have a lot of comfort, but just in order for at least 1-3 years of discovering Ireland!

But I am reading all this info about MOT, VRT Etc that I lost my way. For the moment I am looking at 1) an old Nissan van (1995) for 900 EUR (not converted to a camper, but good enough for some mattresses and boxes - commercial vehicle and has a Mot) and

2) an even older Toyota Hiace (1985) for 2200 EUR (converted to camper, needs nct test, low taxes).

Does anyone has advice?

Do I need an extra test to get insurance for 1) or 2)? What will be the prices around?

Is the chance realistic that the old Nissan will not pass the test? (I don't want to use the van only for some months only of course).

What tests will I have to do for 1) or 2)?

MANY thanks for your answer or help, while we are completely lost -
That hiace looks nice 4 speed auto could be thirsty especially above 55mph probably 25 - 30mpg. Beware of tinworm in a van that age. Beware of underseal its a great cloak of invisibility that can hide all sorts.

Van conversion take 10 x times the time you think it will and you'll spend a small fortune by the time you've added up everything. If the nissan is €900 by the time you've bought mattresses, cooker, pots and pans, curtains, gas bottle, lights, wiring, insulation, timber, roof vent etc. etc. you'll be close to the cost of the hiace and the extra tax for 3 years would bring you over the price of the hiace.

With the price of fuel now if it was just the two of us I'd probably build a decent sized teardop trailer or get a folding caravan like a esterel and tow it with our car rather than hulking around a couple of tons of steel and chipboard.
moodrater is online now  
13-07-2012, 00:47   #132
carmad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 48
Guys if I bought this;
http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/bodytyp...7293d27/advert

Reg it as a van (50?) and get it converted to a camper will I save?
Or what is the best/legal route and the costings?
carmad is offline  
13-07-2012, 08:29   #133
stevire
Registered User
 
stevire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmad View Post
Guys if I bought this;
http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/bodytyp...7293d27/advert

Reg it as a van (50?) and get it converted to a camper will I save?
Or what is the best/legal route and the costings?
It will work out the same, if you register it as a van you will pay 50e VRT (not sure if this is still the standard rate?) to get it to a commercial. When going from commercial to camper you will have to pay additional VRT which is worked out as 13.3% of the OMAP of the vehicle as a camper.

If you got a minibus you wouldn't have to pay additional VRT when going from bus to camper but the VRT when importing it would be a lot higher.

Last edited by stevire; 13-07-2012 at 08:31.
stevire is offline  
Thanks from:
13-07-2012, 14:47   #134
moodrater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hotel ducato
Posts: 1,152
I should think they'll fleece you on the omsp for a 2011 van though.
moodrater is online now  
Thanks from:
20-08-2012, 19:11   #135
motherofdivine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Great post,Thanks!!!! I have just bought a 01 transit that's been converted but not reclassified, how do the calculate VRT? Anyone got a rough idea how much it would be for a van that age?
motherofdivine is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet