Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slane Concert 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭squonk

Awful venue and you'd think after 30 years they could have gotten a handle on organising it properly at this stage.

KOL are a joke as a headline act. I don't care if they're 'the biggest act in Europe'. I remember Slane being about World Class acts like Queen, Bowie U2, Springsteen. Frankly KOL just don't compare. As for RHCP, they stopped being good 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

AC/DC

that is all :cool:

Think their writing a new album, don't think they'll be finished it by next summer. Wouldn't bet on them doing a once off either. The only band I'd bother to go to Slane for.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

poteen wrote: »
    I suppose you would prefer it in Dublin where it would be easy to get to for you and screw the other 31 counties. You need to get out more often from your safety net. Slane is one of the best outdoor venues in the world.

Eh....im actually from Cork buddy;)

If a gig is in Dublin i can get the bus/train up,get a cheap hostel(or hotel if im feeling flash)walk to the venue or get the luas or whatever,soon as the gig is over i can be in the city if i feel like a pint or be in bed within half an hour......Slane on the other hand? pain....in.....the.....hole,as was pointed out it was fine in the 80s(even the 90s to a degree)when no one came here and we were delighted that any decent act would show up,i have no complaint with most gigs being in Dublin,im not under the impression the world revolves around me(unfortunately)i make the effort to go there all the time

At the end of the day Slane is really just field in the middle of nowhere,if you enjoy that good for you but to suggest that its a great venue is ridiculous

Also fyi.....ive been to gigs in Belfast,Kilkenny and Galway(along with Dublin and Cork of course)i was just up at Mercury Rev a week or two back

Im in no safety net,i just have standards when it comes to how i use my time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Depending on how the new RHCP album does commercially, it will likely be them playing next year.

I can't think of another band, big enough and on a new album/greatest hits tour that will drag the numbers in.

I hope to Jesus they do, and as you said it's quite likely with the new album that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Green Day would be great for Slane. I think people would really love their live show even if they aren't huge fans of the music, they make a damn good effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Flecktarn wrote: »
    I hope to Jesus they do, and as you said it's quite likely with the new album that they will.

You'd better hope that they are recording for a DVD or else they would be ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Could Van Halen be likely? They are releasing a new album in August and with a killer support bill they would be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

I might be persuaded to go if there was someone I REALLY REALLY wanted to see...the only two that would come to mind are Arcade Fire or Muse (both of which I believe would be epic Slane gigs!) but other than that, I'll pass

Was thinking on way home last saturday who I'd like to see playing and came up with Muse and Arcade Fire too. Can't think of anyone else. iirc it'll have been nearly 2 years since last irish muse gig (when slane time comes around) and if they're working on new album might be a good time for another.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RayCon wrote: »
    I don't think there's a band alive that would make me go to Slane ....

How about a dead one then?

I'll get me coat!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A reformed Pink Floyd playing Dark Side of the Moon at Slane. I can dream :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I am betting it will be Bruce as Little Stevie has said they will go back on the road next year. It's been a long time since he last played and he is mates with Mountcharles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

SB-08 wrote: »
    I am betting it will be Bruce as Little Stevie has said they will go back on the road next year. It's been a long time since he last played and he is mates with Mountcharles.

Sweet, have you any artilce or source from Stevie?

Last i heard he was meant to be back this year but that was changed early on to, not touring til completely in full health!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Aren't all outdoor concerts in a field??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

How about a dead one then?

No need to get your coat ... I meant what I typed ... there is no band ALIVE I that would make me go to Slane ...

Maybe Pink Floyd would have convinced me but now that Richard Wright is dead there can be no Pink Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

I Think maybe get two massive acts next year maybe Bruce and say the Chilli peppers again...It needs someone big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'd love to see Foo Fighters at Slane next year. They were amazing at Oxegen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Foo's with an undercard similar to what they had at Milton Keynes this year would be awesome. Im thinking along the lines of Biffy Clyro, Jimmy Eat World. Maybe two more bands, perhaps Two Door Cinema Club as the Irish contingent and another small act as an opener. Or even QOTSA again would be schweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

At Oxegen Foo fighters said they were in the process of organising to play in Ireland very soon again, i have a feeling the were talking about Slane 2012, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

mcronnymc wrote: »
    At Oxegen Foo fighters said they were in the process of organising to play in Ireland very soon again, i have a feeling the were talking about Slane 2012, fingers crossed.

Id say they were on about the arena tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

laois gael wrote: »
    I Think maybe get two massive acts next year maybe Bruce and say the Chilli peppers again...It needs someone big!

This is baffling.. why does anyone think MCD will pay for two massive acts when they can sell it out with one ****e act?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

nm wrote: »
    This is baffling.. why does anyone think MCD will pay for two massive acts when they can sell it out with one ****e act?

Last year some people were convinced that the Foo Fighters and Muse were going to support the KOL even though the event was already "sold out" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mcronnymc wrote: »

Summer 2012 is hardly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

laois gael wrote: »

Why? It sold out this year with a mediocre headliner who play here all the time and uninspired support. Last time round it sold out (did it? sold well, at least) with two acts over 10 years past their prime. Why bother paying big money for acts when they can sell it out with dross?

edit: just saw nm made the exact same point as me, sorry very tired :)

Anyone think these guys could be headlining next year????? I presume they will either do Oxegen or their own outdoor show next year

Maybe if they had bands like the Kaiser Chiefs under them like at Hard Rock Calling this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭bren2001

Anyone think these guys could be headlining next year????? I presume they will either do Oxegen or their own outdoor show next year

Maybe if they had bands like the Kaiser Chiefs under them like at Hard Rock Calling this year

I would not be surprised. I was at Hard Rock Calling for them and they certainly have the stage presence for Slane. They sold 30,000 tickets for Marlay Park 08 add to that another album and the usual Slane goers they would sell it out imo.

However, I think it will be Oxegen for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Last year some people were convinced that the Foo Fighters and Muse were going to support the KOL even though the event was already "sold out" :pac:

'Some people' were convinced? Who exactly? I doubt it was anyone with any inside knowledge. Just because someone down the pub heard someone who knows someone else said it was going to happen doesn't make it correct. The FF were never going to support KOL this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

'Some people' were convinced? Who exactly? I doubt it was anyone with any inside knowledge. Just because someone down the pub heard someone who knows someone else said it was going to happen doesn't make it correct. The FF were never going to support KOL this year

I think FM104 were spewing it out and there are a few posts in last years Slane section that thought it was a definite possibility.

I think FM104 were spewing it out and there are a few posts in last years Slane section that thought it was a definite possibility.

2FM also said Green Day were headlining Slane in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭bren2001

2FM also said Green Day were headlining Slane in 2010

They were in talks for it. They had done everything but sign the contract.

Advertisement