Slane Concert 2012 - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2011, 23:51   #16
poteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Top Joe View Post
I sincerely hope Bruce(or anyone else i like)doesnt go anywhere near Slane,why on earth would you want to go there?? a big field in the middle of nowhere?? never understood the attraction......ill be gutted if he plays there tbh
I suppose you would prefer it in Dublin where it would be easy to get to for you and screw the other 31 counties. You need to get out more often from your safety net. Slane is one of the best outdoor venues in the world.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-06-2011, 23:54   #17
poteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious-Red View Post
Yea i do agree that a lot of people go to Slane because its Slane but i still dont believe they could headline and shift 80,000 tickets

If KOL played Marlay Park it would def sell out.

Although maybe if they had Foos headline with Green Day under them or a co headline job would be great
Im beginning to think that Foo Fighters and Green Day are Fading powers when it comes to headline slots. Great bands granted but I think their star has fallen slightly and they aint getting any younger.
02-06-2011, 01:44   #18
Furious-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by poteen View Post
Im beginning to think that Foo Fighters and Green Day are Fading powers when it comes to headline slots. Great bands granted but I think their star has fallen slightly and they aint getting any younger.
Im not sure about that with the new Foo's album getting rave reviews , selling out Milton Keynes twice before the new album was completed. Cant say anything about GD since not a big fan of them
02-06-2011, 09:26   #19
nm

Quote:
I suppose you would prefer it in Dublin where it would be easy to get to for you and screw the other 31 counties. You need to get out more often from your safety net. Slane is one of the best outdoor venues in the world.
Over a quarter of the population lives in Dublin, would you prefer put out the majority for the sake of making it easy (it's still never going to be) for some particular minority from another county?

Slane is a nightmare venue and should have been retired from being allowed host these gigs years ago. Okay for the standards of the 1980's, not such these days.
02-06-2011, 09:58   #20
poteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Over a quarter of the population lives in Dublin, would you prefer put out the majority for the sake of making it easy (it's still never going to be) for some particular minority from another county?

Slane is a nightmare venue and should have been retired from being allowed host these gigs years ago. Okay for the standards of the 1980's, not such these days.
Croke Park has proven to be the Worst large capacity venue in the country. I heard the sound in the Aviva Last year was brutal too. Marlay park is too small. Any concert that Phoneix park ever held was a disaster too. Running out of venues you would say are better than Slane at this stage. Where else can you put 80,000 ? Michale Eavis Manages to put 160,000 into Glastonbury in Somerset so please dont give me this demographic crap. Its a great venue and it isnt that much hassle to get there.
Advertisement
02-06-2011, 10:01   #21
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Croke Park has proven to be the Worst large capacity venue in the country. I heard the sound in the Aviva Last year was brutal too. Marlay park is too small. Any concert that Phoneix park ever held was a disaster too. Running out of venues you would say are better than Slane at this stage. Where else can you put 80,000 ? Michale Eavis Manages to put 160,000 into Glastonbury in Somerset so please dont give me this demographic crap. Its a great venue and it isnt that much hassle to get there.
LOL. The main problem with these venues is the sheer amount of people travelling to & from them at the same time. The villages/towns just can't handle it. Add to that the scumbag element intent on turning said villages into giant litter bins. It just doesn't work anymore. Our infrastructure(roads etc) just can't handle it.
Thanks from:
02-06-2011, 10:09   #22
splashthecash

I agree - I have been to Slane three or four times now but haven't gone recently because of the hassle getting in and out of the venue. They haven't solved the problem of toilets\queuing\transport getting home\etc.

Having said that, once you are in there I have always enjoyed myself and do agree that it probably is one of the best outdoor places to see anyone.

I might be persuaded to go if there was someone I REALLY REALLY wanted to see...the only two that would come to mind are Arcade Fire or Muse (both of which I believe would be epic Slane gigs!) but other than that, I'll pass
Thanks from:
02-06-2011, 10:12   #23
Atomic Pineapple

Slane sells out the same way Oxegen sells out, because of its name, I mean I was dismayed that KOL were headliners this year, they're nowhere near good enough to be headliners.

Slane has slumped pretty badly in recent years, Madonna, the Eminem fiasco and while this year wasn't as bad it was still pretty poor.

2012 needs Slane to return with a proper band, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Def Leppard.
(5) thanks from:
02-06-2011, 10:17   #24
splashthecash

I think the problem is, is that they are running out of top draw acts....i mean real world class talent..

think of who has played there...

bob, bruce, R.E.M, U2, Guns n' Roses...all of these were the biggest bands\acts in the world at the time they played..

KOL aren't that big at all in the US...Bryan Adams\Sterophonics\Madonna...pfft
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2011, 10:48   #25
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashthecash View Post
I think the problem is, is that they are running out of top draw acts....i mean real world class talent..

bob, bruce, R.E.M, U2, Guns n' Roses...all of these were the biggest bands\acts in the world at the time they played..

That pretty much sums it up. But, the hassle of getting to and from it, and the hassle of such things as queueing for a pint/the toilet is a real turn off. A friend of mine went to Oasis in Slane and said that he queued for over an hour just to get a pint. The whole organisation of the event is shambolic. The promoters only care about one thing: money. They don't give a flying **** about anything else.

Last edited by Mental Mickey; 02-06-2011 at 10:52.
02-06-2011, 10:49   #26
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
Slane sells out the same way Oxegen sells out, because of its name, I mean I was dismayed that KOL were headliners this year, they're nowhere near good enough to be headliners.

Slane has slumped pretty badly in recent years, Madonna, the Eminem fiasco and while this year wasn't as bad it was still pretty poor.

2012 needs Slane to return with a proper band, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Def Leppard.
Please, for the love of God, tell me you're not being serious about that last one!!!??
02-06-2011, 11:14   #27
bren2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashthecash View Post

Does it matter if they are that big in the US? I am not a fan of them but they are one of the biggest acts in Europe right now. That is all Slane gaurantees, a top act that is huge here.

There are very few world class acts, that can sell stadiums out across the world. The only two that come to mind are U2 and Bon Jovi. KoL are doing a European stadium tour. That puts them at the very top. They were right for Slane regardless of how well they performed.
02-06-2011, 11:24   #28
poteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
Please, for the love of God, tell me you're not being serious about that last one!!!??
LOL
(2) thanks from:
02-06-2011, 11:25   #29
frankcarty
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissorhands View Post
Discuss who you think should play Slane Castle 2012
AC/DC

that is all
02-06-2011, 12:28   #30
RayCon

I don't think there's a band alive that would make me go to Slane ....
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion