Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-06-2011, 00:24   #31
LoTwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_b View Post
Great info LoTwan, thanks very much !

How low is that dish mounted ? Did it have to be that low ?
Did they charge extra for the pole mount ?
Do you mind me asking why you went with Onwave over Digiweb ?
- The tooway dish is approx 6' above the evenual ground level (the child in the first photo is 2.5 as a reference ) They chose to put it under the sky dish because of the greater risk of sway the higher up the pole you go.
- They didn't charge extra for the pole mount but they knew about it in advance, weeks ago. It was actually their suggestion in February that I go with a pole mount because I didn't want the dish on the side of the building. It is a new build and I ran 6 CT100's in from the pole straight to the attic.
- I went with Onwave because their office is 10km down the road I have customer support on my doorstep. They are marketing at €5 more expensive a month but have a price match promise and I suspect they will just drop to meet digiweb if enough people take them up on the offer.

I could have applied for and waited around for the NBS (for which they have a modified package on the KA SAT) but I don't want to sit around waiting for 6 months only to qualify for the lowest package.

There is reference to toowaydirect.co.uk earlier in this thread and I didn't come back to their pricing (because I was working on my phone). They are frontloading installation charges and having customers buy the equipment (onwave own my dish & satellite router) to keep the monthly cost down. They are also requiring a block mount for the dish which I couldn't provide.

I haven't tried VOIP yet because I don't have anyone to Skype with at the moment I will hook up the phone tomorrow but it is awkward as the router is in the attic and I have to arrange a different phone.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2011, 07:47   #32
long_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTwan View Post

I could have applied for and waited around for the NBS (for which they have a modified package on the KA SAT) but I don't want to sit around waiting for 6 months only to qualify for the lowest package.
Aha - in the first post Sponge Bob (genuflects) reckons that this service wouldn't be available on NBS (I'm assuming this applies to RBS too) because of the Sliding Time Window restrictions. Do you have any further details ?
Quote:
There is reference to toowaydirect.co.uk earlier in this thread and I didn't come back to their pricing (because I was working on my phone). They are frontloading installation charges and having customers buy the equipment (onwave own my dish & satellite router) to keep the monthly cost down.
I worked out that for me after all the costs (getting someone else to install, equipment, delivery) etc it worked out 14 euros different to the Digiweb package. Not worth the hassle I reckon, unless you're installing yourself
10-06-2011, 11:32   #33
LoTwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_b View Post
Aha - in the first post Sponge Bob (genuflects) reckons that this service wouldn't be available on NBS (I'm assuming this applies to RBS too) because of the Sliding Time Window restrictions. Do you have any further details ?
When I spoke to the guy in Onwave yesterday he said that they are modifying the package with regards to the sliding time window (I brought it up because of Sponge Bob's original post) so that it complies with the NBS requirements. That is all the info I have for now.
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2011, 12:27   #34
Apogee

@LoTwan - just out of interest, did you erect the pole yourself for the dishes? It's not actually a live ESB pole?
Thanks from:
10-06-2011, 13:49   #35
LoTwan

I put the pole up myself. It was the original ESB pole that was decommissioned when the subterranean supply went in. We recycled it from it's previous position to it's new home on the boundary. We didn't take off the ESB notice purely because I didn't get around to it ;-)
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2011, 14:23   #36
lucernarian

I take it the guy wire is for the pole in the hedge just behind the dish?
10-06-2011, 14:44   #37
LoTwan

Yes, the guy belongs to the ESB Networks pole on the other side of the boundary.
10-06-2011, 16:57   #38
yuloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTwan View Post
...I haven't tried VOIP yet because I don't have anyone to Skype with at the moment I will hook up the phone tomorrow but it is awkward as the router is in the attic and I have to arrange a different phone.
Is the VOIP system not a standalone service (not dependent on Skype) ? Surely you haven't just received a Skype phone?

I was told that they were introducing there own VOIP system designed to work with satellite. I have ran Skype over Tooway many times but would love to see a true purpose built VOIP system run over it.
10-06-2011, 18:11   #39
LoTwan

The wireless router is a "wireless router with 2 phone ports". The hook up is the fact that the router is in the attic & I don't have 2 phone docks which means the dock that I do have has to be in the attic which is not conducive to charging

The satellite modem is a surfbeam 2 rm4200
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2011, 22:18   #40
adne

how is onwave going for you, i am looking at getting it installed
10-11-2011, 20:11   #41
freddiew

I would like to know from someone who has Onwave, what they think of it and what are the negatives about the system?
13-01-2012, 17:40   #42
adne

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiew View Post
I would like to know from someone who has Onwave, what they think of it and what are the negatives about the system?

PM me if u want details, I have it installed two months now
13-01-2012, 19:58   #43
pat13wx

Quote:
Originally Posted by adne View Post
PM me if u want details, I have it installed two months now
Why not share your views here so we may all benefit from your experience?
13-01-2012, 20:41   #44
adne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat13wx View Post
Why not share your views here so we may all benefit from your experience?
ok - I have 10 Meg down, 2 Meg up unlimited installed the last 2 months, it has worked excellently, it dropped 2 days early this month when there was extreme high winds other than that i am getting circa 8.5 - 10 meg down and 1.3 - 2 meg up consistently.
13-01-2012, 21:04   #45
pat13wx

Quote:
Originally Posted by adne View Post
ok - I have 10 Meg down, 2 Meg up unlimited installed the last 2 months, it has worked excellently, it dropped 2 days early this month when there was extreme high winds other than that i am getting circa 8.5 - 10 meg down and 1.3 - 2 meg up consistently.
Thanks for that.

Unlimited? Have you an unlimited download package? I didn't know there there was such an option with SBB.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion