Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Antivirus / Antimalware Recommendation Thread (May 2011)

• 26-05-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

To keep the information on your choices of AV and Antimalware fresh, I'm going to start rebooting the polls periodically (not decided how often yet, probably every few months).

You can find the old stickies on the topic here and here.

The current poll options are the most popular items from the last poll. If you use something else, tell us here on thread.

What AV/Antimalware do you use? 382 votes

Microsoft Security Essentials
    0% 2 votes
    Avast
    31% 122 votes
    AVG
    21% 83 votes
    ESET
    17% 66 votes
    Avira
    3% 14 votes
    Kapersky
    4% 16 votes
    Norton
    6% 23 votes
    Something else (post on thread)
    8% 31 votes
    None
    6% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janchi

K7 Computing is not well known over here. Worth of placing it in to the poll though.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

McAfee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Bitdefender - pay to use
    Microsoft Security Essentials -free

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hi, I had a 3 year subscription to Norton on my Dell laptop which is up next month. Their annual sub is almost €50. I understand there is some good free anti virus stuff out there, can someone recommend the best company to go with please? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭flutered

any thing, but my preference is for microsoft security essentials, there is a great thread here on boards, where you will get the best advice advailable on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Microsoft Security Essentials & Malware bytes Anti Malware, get the 2 of those and you'll be right.

Download app remover to get any old security software like norton off your computer.

All those programs are free, just google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭flutered

i forgot to mention malware bytes, also use superantispyware and ccleaner also oldetom, use one daily keep them upgraded, never use adminastrator on the net, it attracts undue attention.

Ok, thanks lads. Is it necessary to remove the Norton thats allready on the laptop so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

yep, just installed microsoft security essentials tonight and you have to remove old antiviruses.

do you need malwarebytes too though? MSE says it's anti malware too, and i deleted malwarebytes too, should i get it again??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

yep, just installed microsoft security essentials tonight and you have to remove old antiviruses.

do you need malwarebytes too though? MSE says it's anti malware too, and i deleted malwarebytes too, should i get it again??
    Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials for free real-time scanner.

Keep Malwarebytes, the free one is on an on demand scanner which means you have to run it, run it once a week/month/before you buy something or whatever. You can have more than one Anti-Malware. It's been regarded as the best for a long time. Run it in safe mode.

As above, don't use your computer in an Administrator Account, go into User Accounts and set up a Standard User Account, helps stop dodgy websites installing stuff in the background.

Install an ad-blocker. Don't use it on boards or your other favourite sites though, unless they have those click here to win ads.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I had problems with firewalls with paid full anti virus etc.Then i got microsoft security essentials with free daily downloads.All FREE.No problems at all and i still think of the € i've spent over the years.They could have told me in the pc shop where i'd spent money on other products.I won't be buying my next pc there.My pc is in it's 4th year.Everthing better than ever.25mb/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaulSco

Avira AntiVir is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Common Sense 2011 should definitely be on the list.

Teutorix wrote: »
    Common Sense 2011 should definitely be on the list.
    I'm sorry I didn't stay with Norton. I have a keyboard now that some of the letters come up as numbers. That Microsoft Security Essentials seems to have let me down.
    I'm using my phone for this post as the keyboard is unuseable this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm sorry I didn't stay with Norton. I have a keyboard now that some of the letters come up as numbers. That Microsoft Security Essentials seems to have let me down.
    I'm using my phone for this post as the keyboard is unuseable this evening.

Norton is terrible, you should use MSE in conjunction with avast.

That sounds like a hardware issue, tried another keyboard?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I have thought of the p.c. industry as a glasshouse.I cant see the giving away of unnecessary anti- virus stuff with a new pc as adding up.Their Credibility is open to question? Why do they do it ?Related to other s/wares?

paddyandy wrote: »
    I have thought of the p.c. industry as a glasshouse.I cant see the giving away of unnecessary anti- virus stuff with a new pc as adding up.Their Credibility is open to question? Why do they do it ?Related to other s/wares?

It's called bloatware.
    Licencning and all that jazz.
    Exposure to more clients and potential paid customers.

On another note, I know people post antivirus solutions.
    Another addition worth mentioning is to have;
    An application layer firewall such as comodo, which will observe ,alert and await user reaction to any out going traffic being requested by processes.

Teutorix wrote: »
    Norton is terrible, you should use MSE in conjunction with avast.

That sounds like a hardware issue, tried another keyboard?
    Your not suppose to use two realtime scanners as they will find each other and slow your computer down while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

What antivirus would people recommend for a Mac?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

There aren't many as far as I know

This is only one I've heard of

http://www.clamxav.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Comodo Internet Security (new version now out which is excellent)
    Scotty Win Patrol
    PeerBlock
    SuperAntiSpyware
    MalwareBytes
    Sandboxie

All FREE & low on resources apart from MalwareBytes which I only run about once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

I have AVG Internet Security V 9.0.920 running on my machine but unfortunately my hard disk needs to be swapped out (it's faulty) so I'm going to be installing a new drive today with Win 7 32 bit and I might as well take the opportunity to review what security software I'm running. Should I just stick with AVG which will need to a new licence in a few months or should I just go with MS Security Essentials and leave it at that? Perhaps run CCleaner, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes once a month on top?

Thoughts/comments???

Ben

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I currently have AVG home Internet Security.
    Have read a bit on here about MSE being good.
    Can anyone advise me should I pay for a new renewal of AVG or go with MSE?

I am not a tecchie so any simple advice would be appreciated.
    I dont do gaming if that matters do have a router and AVG free on netbook at mo.

Thanks

I currently have AVG home Internet Security.
    Have read a bit on here about MSE being good.
    Can anyone advise me should I pay for a new renewal of AVG or go with MSE?

I am not a tecchie so any simple advice would be appreciated.
    I dont do gaming if that matters do have a router and AVG free on netbook at mo.

Thanks
    No need to spend money GF,

MSE OR Avast (I just changed from MSE after using it for 3 years, I had no reason for changing, both are brill)
    Firefox
    WOT (Spend abit of time to set it up right, not hard)
    Malwarebytes
    NoScript (Spend abit of time to set it up right, not to hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Quick question. If I already have MSE installed is there any benefit to installing and periodically running Super Anti Spyware?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

yes. It's no harm using an antispyware scanner periodically along side MSE. I use Malwarebytes free though

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

is there such a thing as decent but FREE anti-virus software available anywhere?

thanks!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

i use avast

Advertisement