Ball must hit bottom of cup? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
26-05-2011, 14:07   #1
esker man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Ball must hit bottom of cup?

Guy chips in from fringe, ball rests against the flag in the hole without fully dropping. I'm next to putt, remove flag and another guy calls penalty against guy who chipped in because the ball didnt hit bottom of the cup.

Question is, if the ball hasnt/wont move and flag needs to be removed what happens?
esker man is offline  
Advertisement
26-05-2011, 14:15   #2
AldilaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by esker man View Post
Guy chips in from fringe, ball rests against the flag in the hole without fully dropping. I'm next to putt, remove flag and another guy calls penalty against guy who chipped in because the ball didnt hit bottom of the cup.

Question is, if the ball hasnt/wont move and flag needs to be removed what happens?
Rubbish - If the flag comes out and the ball falls into the hole then it was holded by the last shot i.e. the chip shot - no penalty. Where do these guys get these notions about the rules !
AldilaMan is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:21   #3
murphdogg11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 115
Did you hand the ball back to the other player without allowing the ball to drop into the hole?
murphdogg11 is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:22   #4
esker man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldilaMan View Post
Rubbish - If the flag comes out and the ball falls into the hole then it was holded by the last shot i.e. the chip shot - no penalty. Where do these guys get these notions about the rules !

Ah, sorry, in removing the flag I lifted out the ball, so technically the ball didnt hit the bottom of the cup?
esker man is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:25   #5
IITYWYBMAD
Registered User
 
IITYWYBMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 716
I'm not 100%, but I think the ball does have to be below the line of the hole. There may be some phraseology with regards to nomination, but I'd imagine as playing partners you're covered.

I know for a fact that you cannot remove the ball if it is still above the hole, while resting against the flag pole.

Basically, if this happens in the future, allow the person who chipped in, to adjust the flag, and take the ball from the hole.
IITYWYBMAD is offline  
Advertisement
26-05-2011, 14:25   #6
bustercherry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldilaMan View Post
Rubbish - If the flag comes out and the ball falls into the hole then it was holded by the last shot i.e. the chip shot - no penalty. Where do these guys get these notions about the rules !
I believe as long as the entire ball is below the surface of the green then it's considered holed. If it was not and the ball does not drop into the hole when the flag stick is removed, then the ball should be replaced on the lip without penalty. The player still has not holed out, if he doesn't then he occurs whatever penalty applicable. So the guy might be correct.
bustercherry is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:26   #7
IITYWYBMAD
Registered User
 
IITYWYBMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by esker man View Post
Ah, sorry, in removing the flag I lifted out the ball, so technically the ball didnt hit the bottom of the cup?
Bang....into the arena of penalties and "you shouldn't have done that"...
IITYWYBMAD is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:28   #8
Russman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,154
So, did the ball come out when you took the flag out ? How did the guy know the ball hadn't hit the bottom of the cup ? I'm not really sure I follow the sequence of events.

As far as I know, and I don't have a copy of the rules handy so I'm happy to stand corrected, I think amateurs must remove the flag before the ball.

Pros don't have to, and can pick the ball out without removing the flag.

Edit: just seen the post where you say you basically took the ball out with the flag, thats not allowed I'm almost sure.
Russman is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:37   #9
pitchnputtking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Yes the ball has to hit the bottom of the cup.

If its wedged and not gone done u can remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop.

Pulling the flag and thus removing the ball too is not allowed
pitchnputtking is offline  
Advertisement
26-05-2011, 14:46   #10
bustercherry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchnputtking View Post
Yes the ball has to hit the bottom of the cup.

If its wedged and not gone done u can remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop.

Pulling the flag and thus removing the ball too is not allowed
From the R&A rulebook -

"Holed
A ball is “holed” when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole
and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole".

http://www.randa.org/~/media/RandA/D...20Edition.ashx
bustercherry is offline  
Thanks from:
26-05-2011, 14:49   #11
pitchnputtking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
what if all of the ball is not below the surface.
pitchnputtking is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:52   #12
bustercherry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchnputtking View Post
what if all of the ball is not below the surface.
Then it's not holed, as per the definition I posted.
bustercherry is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:52   #13
Russman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustercherry View Post
From the R&A rulebook -

"Holed
A ball is “holed” when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole
and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole".

http://www.randa.org/~/media/RandA/D...20Edition.ashx

Guess that settles it then
Russman is offline  
26-05-2011, 14:53   #14
pitchnputtking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustercherry View Post
Then it's not holed, as per the definition I posted.
Ok
pitchnputtking is offline  
26-05-2011, 15:03   #15
GreeBo
Moderator
 
GreeBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,203
Mod: Golf
You removed it not him, so he gets to replace it and then remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop correctly.
He would not be penalised for you interfering with his ball.
GreeBo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet