Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-05-2011, 21:00   #1
FORD 4000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
electric sheep shears

thinking of buying a decent set of electric shears, something that would shear approx. 500 head a year. anyone any ideas what model to go for and wheres would you go to get a set, im around south donegal here...
FORD 4000 is offline  
Advertisement
25-05-2011, 21:05   #2
reilig
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD 4000 View Post
thinking of buying a decent set of electric shears, something that would shear approx. 500 head a year. anyone any ideas what model to go for and wheres would you go to get a set, im around south donegal here...
Lister is the tried and tested model for the last 50 years. Personally I wouldn't use anything else. There are a few on donedeal second hand. New ones are very expensive. The hand piece alone can be in excess of 200 euro.
reilig is offline  
25-05-2011, 21:23   #3
FORD 4000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
how much would the entire lister kit cost new do you know? id be prepared to buy a new set as hopefully they will do me my lifetime at sheep, any i need to look out for before buying a secound hand set?
FORD 4000 is offline  
25-05-2011, 21:33   #4
knotknowbody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD 4000 View Post
how much would the entire lister kit cost new do you know? id be prepared to buy a new set as hopefully they will do me my lifetime at sheep, any i need to look out for before buying a secound hand set?
Don't know about price for new kit, but if buying second hand make sure there is not too much wear and tear on the internal parts of the hand-piece the rest of it is pretty straight forward to repair.

Do you shear, I would recommend trying it before you buy a machine, for me it looked easier than it is until I tried it, luckily we had the machine so i could practice for free until I perfected it.
knotknowbody is offline  
25-05-2011, 21:39   #5
FORD 4000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
i never sheared with the electric shears before but myself and the uncle have been shearing over 500 head a year since i statred farming, it just that hes not fit to shear much anymore so i thiught the electric would speed it up a bit.. there much difference in the hand and electric??
FORD 4000 is offline  
Advertisement
25-05-2011, 22:19   #6
knotknowbody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 243
I never managed to shear one by hand but have done hundreds a year for about 15 years with electric, once your used to holding her from doing her by hand you should find it easy enough to switch to electric.

Do you know anybody to show you how to set-up the hand-piece, if you don't set the comb and cutter central you will nick them more, its common-sense really but a bit fiddly the first time or two.
knotknowbody is offline  
26-05-2011, 15:29   #7
foundation10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD 4000 View Post
i never sheared with the electric shears before but myself and the uncle have been shearing over 500 head a year since i statred farming, it just that hes not fit to shear much anymore so i thiught the electric would speed it up a bit.. there much difference in the hand and electric??

Electric will be much easier you will find it difficult at first to get used of the handpiece etc but stick with it especially on the half bred ewes such as suffolks which have dense wool

I have also used a lister.

Last edited by foundation10; 26-05-2011 at 15:32.
foundation10 is offline  
26-05-2011, 19:42   #8
FORD 4000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
i will, it gota be better than by hand.... what wattage does it take to run them as iv a small 1000 wat gennie, that will hardly run it????
FORD 4000 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet