New car suggestions - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-05-2011, 13:44   #31
Alanstrainor
Moderator
 
Alanstrainor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dublin, Rathfarnham
Posts: 16,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
I had considered it, and it would probably be the easiest to insure, but it's just fugly as hell! If the insurance quotes on the FTO and the likes are flat refusals i'll come back to the octy vrs and the likes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corkie- View Post
Isnt Draffodx selling his ST. I know it might be out of budget but its very clean
I could push out the budget to a ST, but I just couldn't justify it at the minute. Maybe in a few years!
Alanstrainor is offline  
Advertisement
18-05-2011, 14:43   #32
Cionád
Registered User
 
Cionád's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Drumcondra
Posts: 1,971
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2130059

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2154677

Insurance might be a problem for the T5's, a less potent option:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2140448
Cionád is offline  
18-05-2011, 15:22   #33
savagecabbages
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 860
Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574
savagecabbages is offline  
18-05-2011, 15:29   #34
Ardennes1944
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel, CH.
Posts: 7,248
what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example
Ardennes1944 is offline  
18-05-2011, 16:18   #35
giles01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!
giles01 is offline  
Advertisement
18-05-2011, 16:19   #36
Ardennes1944
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel, CH.
Posts: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles01 View Post
What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!
my next car to be too id say
Ardennes1944 is offline  
18-05-2011, 16:30   #37
Mr Benevolent
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,452
I know I keep mentioning them, but what about an MX-5 or Fiat Coupe?
Mr Benevolent is offline  
18-05-2011, 17:09   #38
Alanstrainor
Moderator
 
Alanstrainor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dublin, Rathfarnham
Posts: 16,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschlandfürimmer7 View Post
what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example
I'll run into trouble with insurance on something like that i'd imagine. And although it's great it's a big car, for someone who doesn't need any space. I'd rather a nimble, not so fast car over something that's nearing barge territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagecabbages View Post
Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574
The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cionád View Post
Again, that's getting more into luxobarge territory, good fast cars, no doubt. But it's just not something i'm after.

I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite so far.


As for MX5, it's always one i'd recommend on any of these threads, purely from reading about them. But unfortunately I just can't insure one at 23, most insurers run a mile from a 1.6 soft top!

Fiat coupe, look great, but what about reliability on them? I've heard they're a disaster. And that's not you're generic fiat pub talk kind of stuff!
Alanstrainor is offline  
18-05-2011, 18:15   #39
savagecabbages
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.
Theres nothing to drive one mad about them really. Its still a Golf, A GTI is just a higher spec faster one with better suspension/brakes. Same as any other hot version of a hatchback...


They are well built, well specced, comfortable etc. The 25th Anniversary one is the only one i'd bother with as its 180bhp, all the others are 150bhp. (i think)
savagecabbages is offline  
Advertisement
18-05-2011, 21:19   #40
colm_mcm
rotaredoM
 
colm_mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post

I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite
Sign up to www.fto-ireland.com
Get a feel for the different modifications available
Most of the ftos on donedeal etc get commented on so it'd save you a bit of legwork. In my opinion the club cars are the best minded and its easy to search owners posts to see any issues the car might have had.

There are a good few badly modified ones out there, the owners are generally not on the site.
You probably know I've had a few of them.
colm_mcm is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2011, 17:00   #41
Alanstrainor
Moderator
 
Alanstrainor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dublin, Rathfarnham
Posts: 16,306
Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!
Alanstrainor is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2011, 17:11   #42
Ardennes1944
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel, CH.
Posts: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!
^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too
Ardennes1944 is offline  
Thanks from:
19-05-2011, 17:27   #43
Alanstrainor
Moderator
 
Alanstrainor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dublin, Rathfarnham
Posts: 16,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschlandfürimmer7 View Post
^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too
Indeed! But even last year when I was pondering the same question MX5 quotes were impossible.
Alanstrainor is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet