Electricity Saving Box, do they work? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-05-2011, 16:05   #1
ulinbac

Electricity Saving Box, do they work?

So we had the guy in to service the water filtration system (not too sure if I can name the company so wont).

Nice guy, chatted away and suddenly the conversation changed to our electricity bill;

How much is your bill a month?
Would you like it to be cheaper etc.?

We knew it was a sales pitch but let him off. He was very good though to be fair and was talking about electrical currents moving in wavelengths and trying to make it appear as though you were putting the dots together.

Anyway he says "We are selling this Electricity Saving Box" that could save you anywhere between 18-30% on your bill and has done so for over 3000 of our customers.

Our first question was how much, to which we got, "sure its €49 but I will take off the VAT and give it to you for €40".

Next question: You have mentioned about the research and studies done, please give the name of one as my laptop is on and I would like to have a quick look.
Response "Ummm, ahhh" then he handed me the box and said look for yourself.

I googled like crazy (a 2 min search) and found that it does regulate the power supply but surges are not meant to be charged in our bills anyway (I may be wrong here, corrections welcome). We said thank you but no thanks to him saying that his bill has decreased 20%. To be honest I think he probably plugged it in during February and compared the bill to the last one in Winter (so it would be less).

So heres the question, does anyone out there have this device and notice a difference? The box also said "Regulated by the Chinese Energy Board" don't know if thats a good thing or not?

Mods, apologies if posted in the wrong forum
Advertisement
11-05-2011, 16:12   #2
orourkeda
Banned

Perhaps using less electricity would reduce your bill
(2) thanks from:
11-05-2011, 16:14   #3
Tow

Your 2min search on google should have given you the answer. They make no difference on a domestic supply/bill.
11-05-2011, 16:17   #4
orourkeda
Banned

make the big switch
11-05-2011, 16:19   #5
Dean0088

I've heard of these for indistrial power supply units. Industrial power is charged during surges for some reason.... residential is not.

Also, unless it's been EU tested and certified, don't buy. Sounds like a pyramid scheme, he'll be trying to sell you a 'licence' to sell and install them next
Advertisement
11-05-2011, 16:21   #6
holystungun9

The electricity saving box is that thing on the wall in every room. Switch it one way, use electricity, switch it the other way, instant savings, guaranteed.
(2) thanks from:
11-05-2011, 16:36   #7
Ray Palmer

The water filter is a scam and without an explanation to how it saves electricity I would say that is a scam too.
A current regulator wouldn't save you any money
11-05-2011, 16:54   #8
suicide_circus

Read title as

Electricity shaving box
11-05-2011, 18:48   #9
brightspark

Devices similar to what you are describing were being heavily advertised about 18 months ago, at least one had a complaint against it upheld by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASAI).

They won't reduce your bill. save your money and use it to buy energy saving light bulbs instead.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-05-2011, 19:27   #10
M cebee
Closed Account

if it's those voltage regulator things

they're prob a waste of time
Thanks from:
11-05-2011, 19:45   #11
Bruthal

Probalby them units sold as power factor correction things. Even if they perfectly corrected any less than parity domestic power factor, the whole current meter does not measure this, so no difference to your bill.
11-05-2011, 19:46   #12
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
Read title as

Electricity shaving box
Shave €€€`s off your bill
11-05-2011, 19:51   #13
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
The water filter is a scam and without an explanation to how it saves electricity I would say that is a scam too.
A current regulator wouldn't save you any money
I remember a fella coming around and demonstrating how clean the water is from one of their filters compared to tap water, by putting his "filtered" water into a jar and putting the jar into a device, and nothing happened. Then the same with tap water, and it all went brown while bubbling away, and their marketing was telling people its polution in the tap water appearing.

The reality was his filtered water was really distilled water which a filtration unit wont be producing, and the device he was testing the water in was simply 2 probes with a voltage on them, causing an electrolysis reaction.

So nothing happened with electrolysis probes in his distilled sample as it conducts no electricity. A scam to scare people into buying the filtration units when they believe the tap water "pollution" is showing up in his machine.
Thanks from:
11-05-2011, 20:08   #14
M cebee
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7730 View Post
Probalby them units sold as power factor correction things. Even if they perfectly corrected any less than parity domestic power factor, the whole current meter does not measure this, so no difference to your bill.

i heard of a gadget here alright that was for power factor and surges

these are the other 'voltage optimizer' things
http://www.wolf-passivehomes.com/pro...optimiser.html

they're all gimmicks-people will believe anything when they're bamboozled with BS
11-05-2011, 20:14   #15
Bruthal

Interestingly enough, if you move the electricity meter closer to the load, the bill will reduce, not that its practical etc, but as a matter of interest, if you have a 50 meter run to a shower, the meter will read slightly less if beside the shower than if at the start of the cable run.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion