Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Avensis Qs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 1.8s are much higher spec than the 1.6s, and they have life saving safety features such as ESP, traction control and brake assist as standard.

They will be quieter at speed because of the fact that they run at lower revs and lower revs = less noise.

Have you considered the likes of the Mazda 6 or the Ford Mondeo OP?

The Mazda with a petrol engine (the diesels are disasters) in particular is more reliable than the Avensis, and it's a better car by a bit of a margin.

The VVTis can be quite fond of burning lots of oil as the miles pile on and the bearings in the gearbox give trouble as well.

The 6 with a petrol engine just does not ever go wrong. Apart from the 2.0 Honda Accord, I don't think there is a more reliable family car out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Traction control in an Avensis?

I've heard it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I have look into both the Mondeo and the Mazda 6, i dont really have any interest in the MOndeo, i just can't seem to bring myself to like them.

The Mazda 6 however is definatly a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gophur wrote: »
    Traction control in an Avensis?

I've heard it all now!

Presumably in conjunction with ESP...you'll find a lot of even lower powered cars have this feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

EPM wrote: »
    Presumably in conjunction with ESP...you'll find a lot of even lower powered cars have this feature.

My remark was very much tongue-in-cheek.

Avensis has to be one of the most numbing cars to drive, they are dreadful. I should know, I made the error of getting one, thinking they would be OK. I got rid of it as soon as I could.
    They are typical Toyota, built for people who just want to get from A to B with zero interest in the time in between.

• Advertisement

I am now just browsing through alot of D4D 2.0L diesel Avensis, i know the MPG for these is better, what about reliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pre 2006 facelifted models suffer from DMF issues which are costly to replace. Unless you are racking up alot of miles then I don't see the point in paying a premium for a diesel car and run the risk of having to replace expensive parts just to save a few cent at the pumps.

The diesels also have swirl flaps, which will write off the engine if they get injested into the engine.

Incredibly rare for them to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've never heard of a diesel Avensis with swirl flap problems.

That's why I said "incredibly rare";)! Never heard of them going myself either, but according to Honest John (yes, I know) the D-4Ds do have swirl flaps, so I'd be getting rid of them if they were in my car, I know that much!

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on the Corolla compared to Avensis?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

I had a pre face lift 06 2.0 d4d as a company car for 18 months and stuck 60k miles on it on top of 50k which it had when i got it. nothing broke and it was a nice enough drive ( a little dull) but nice power with 125bhp. I found the clutch quite heavy but i think this may have been because it hadn't been adjusted correctly in a service. No dmf isuues for me or any of the other 4 avensis that the company had at the time. The only thing that went wrong was one needed a water pump at 80k. When we got rid all of the cars had over 100k miles on them

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pre facelift would be the 5 speed 116hp model

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pre facelift would be the 5 speed 116hp model
    Sorry you could be right there but it still had a nice bit of poke to it

O/T, but brilliant sig Colm!

Bought a 1.8L Mazda 6 today - wish me luck! thanks for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Guill wrote: »
    Bought a 1.8L Mazda 6 today - wish me luck! thanks for advice!

They are so savage. Well done. Good choice.

Post pics man!

Ha! Just figured out it had cruise control, sweeeeeettttttt......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Guill wrote: »
    Ha! Just figured out it had cruise control, sweeeeeettttttt......

As I said, this thread freaked me out, its like we are living the same life!

Crappy almera car
    new baby
    wanted an Avensis
    bought a mazda 6
    Creamed over cruise control.

My old nissan

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380.jpg

The Avensis I wanted

20674619847728627681346.jpg

My mazda 6.

22568920340425344791346.jpg

22805420340452145461346k.jpg

That is crazy!

Same year a colour Almeras to Mazda 6's!

mines only 04 so your ahead!

For now..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement