Dye for weed killer - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 07:35   #1
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Dye for weed killer

Does anyone know the name of the dye that golf courses use when spraying weed killer so they know where they have sprayed?
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
Advertisement
06-05-2011, 08:29   #2
prospect
Registered User
 
prospect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,738
Don't know the name, but a landscaper I know told me it was shockingly expensive.

I tried to thing of a cheapy alternative, but couldn't.

F-all help to you, but thats all I know.
prospect is offline  
06-05-2011, 10:38   #3
Dizzyblonde
Moderator
 
Dizzyblonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North County Dublin
Posts: 6,172
This may sound silly, but maybe you could try putting food dye in with it? Unless of course you're covering a huge amount of land...
Dizzyblonde is offline  
06-05-2011, 11:03   #4
johngalway
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,036
I am in the same predicament on my farm. I have creeping thistles to spray. I bought blue and red food dye in (evil) Tesco's but don't yet have the weather conditions to try them out! I think the blue dye was 69c a bottle (very small, don't have it to hand for the exact ml), and the red was a bit more than that. May or may not work, but being a food ingredient it's not going to do any harm.
johngalway is offline  
06-05-2011, 11:46   #5
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Ya have heard about the food colouring idea and I might try it on a small scale first on the back lawn.
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
Advertisement
06-05-2011, 12:23   #6
Alun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bray, Co. Wicklow
Posts: 13,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngalway View Post
I am in the same predicament on my farm. I have creeping thistles to spray. I bought blue and red food dye in (evil) Tesco's but don't yet have the weather conditions to try them out! I think the blue dye was 69c a bottle (very small, don't have it to hand for the exact ml), and the red was a bit more than that. May or may not work, but being a food ingredient it's not going to do any harm.
If you want to use food dye then you can get red food dye in powder form in large-ish quantities sometimes in the larger Asian food shops. They use it in Indian restaurants to colour tandoori chicken amongst other things. Might not be too easy to find in rural Connemara though

One other thought .. the stuff they put on rams bellies to check if the ewes have been mated, could you use that, or would it be too thick and gloopy and clog up the sprayer?
Alun is offline  
06-05-2011, 12:39   #7
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Just in my local Kerry agri store. They can order it, 30e for litre and a litre would do 10 knap sacks. A bit pricey
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
06-05-2011, 13:10   #8
johngalway
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
If you want to use food dye then you can get red food dye in powder form in large-ish quantities sometimes in the larger Asian food shops. They use it in Indian restaurants to colour tandoori chicken amongst other things. Might not be too easy to find in rural Connemara though

One other thought .. the stuff they put on rams bellies to check if the ewes have been mated, could you use that, or would it be too thick and gloopy and clog up the sprayer?
I'm not sure about the raddle Alun, I have some here somewhere, going to use it this Autumn for the first time. It's usually mixed with oil into a paste then painted onto the rams chest. May be too gloopy for a sprayer but as I say I've no experience of it.

Am in Galway city once a week at least so I'll look up the Asian shops and see what they have, thanks for the tip
johngalway is offline  
06-05-2011, 15:04   #9
mr l
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
Marksman about €30 per 1 litre, 2.5mls to 1 litre of water it says on the bottle but i put a drop extra in for good measure. I got it in an agri store last year and still have loads left. Great stuff, very affective.
mr l is offline  
Advertisement
06-05-2011, 15:08   #10
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr l View Post
Marksman about €30 per 1 litre, 2.5mls to 1 litre of water it says on the bottle but i put a drop extra in for good measure. I got it in an agri store last year and still have loads left. Great stuff, very affective.
what colour does it leave on the grass?
and how long does it stay on the grass?
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
06-05-2011, 15:15   #11
mr l
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
The one i have is blue. First time i used it the weather was very dry and it stayed visible for about 4-5 days. Second time, it rained the next day for a couple of hours and there was no trace afterwards. I mainly use it on my brick driveway and its not "very" obvious once it dries in.
mr l is offline  
06-05-2011, 15:42   #12
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr l View Post
The one i have is blue. First time i used it the weather was very dry and it stayed visible for about 4-5 days. Second time, it rained the next day for a couple of hours and there was no trace afterwards. I mainly use it on my brick driveway and its not "very" obvious once it dries in.
Could you give me the full name on the bottle, i'd like to see if i can get it on line.
Thanks
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
06-05-2011, 15:51   #13
mr l
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
http://www.nad.ie/docs/sections/Spra...Indicators.pdf

Same stuff.
mr l is offline  
06-05-2011, 16:47   #14
Anthonyk2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr l View Post
Thanks that fantastic.
Anthonyk2010 is offline  
07-05-2011, 09:37   #15
countrywoman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: carrick on shannon
Posts: 164
Excellent idea about the food colouring. Im going to try it. Thanks!
countrywoman is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet