Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Poll: Positive/Negative experiences with dating sites
Poll Options
Positive/Negative experiences with dating sites

26-04-2011, 10:43   #1
Wibbs

Online Dating General Discussion[NO flirting]

As per request and as per title. A discussion on online dating, experiences, advice etc. Number one rule NO flirting. You will be infracted and or banned. Take it to PM. No two opposed posters going at it either. NO links to profiles. Safety first people. Go the PM route. All other usual Boards guidelines apply. Don't be a dick being paramount.

Enjoy
Advertisement
26-04-2011, 11:13   #2
cantdecide

Any merit in a poll to see who's finding what sites better? Some will be successful on any site but if you could vote for the site that's given you most success, I think it could be useful.
(3) thanks from:
26-04-2011, 11:40   #3
Wibbs

Coolaboola. I don't know the sites* so a list would help and then I can throw up a poll for ye

*I appear to be subscribed to zoosk though can't recall signing up Think its a facebook thing
26-04-2011, 11:45   #4
Fittle

Tried it and met the greatest shower of wasters I've ever had the displeasure to meet - never again If they weren't married, they were in committed relationships - if it was none of those two scenarios, they stayed online and 'kept their options open'...shower of socially inept men incapable of communicating comfortably in person or by SPEAKING on a telephone - very comfortable texting or on 'chat'.....

Just my experience, sorry if it sounds harsh but I'd rather be single forever than go near online dating again
(2) thanks from:
26-04-2011, 12:18   #5
panda100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdecide View Post
Any merit in a poll to see who's finding what sites better? Some will be successful on any site but if you could vote for the site that's given you most success, I think it could be useful.
I've only used OkCupid and Plentyoffish so I can't speak for any other sites. I signed up to LoveGaa but then realised I had to pay for it, and so gave it a wide birth. Personally, I don't like paid sites,I don't like the idea of turning romance and love into a money making racket.

I have found the calibre of men on Okcupid to be much better than Plentyoffish. I've only met one guy from Okcupid, and he was very nice. We had three lovely dates, so my experience of online dating has been pretty positive so far.

I'm in my late twenties, and tend to go out a lot less than I did in my early twenties, so online dating is a great way of meeting new people!
Advertisement
26-04-2011, 12:52   #6
liah
Closed Account

List of Dating Sites:

OkCupid
ConnectingSingles
PlentyofFish
Smooch
Match
Zoosk
AnotherFriend

Uhh.. I feel like I'm forgetting some obvious ones. But that should help with the eventual view to a poll. Maybe make it so we can pick multiple options, some people use/like more than one.

Or make it so you have e.g. OkCupid - Positive Experience and OkCupid - Negative Experience as options so people can give a more rounded view..

Last edited by liah; 26-04-2011 at 13:00.
(3) thanks from:
26-04-2011, 12:59   #7
seenitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by liah View Post
List of Dating Sites:

OkCupid
ConnectingSingles
PlentyofFish
Smooch
Match
Zoosk
AnotherFriend
(3) thanks from:
26-04-2011, 13:06   #8
parker kent
Closed Account

Zoosk and Smooch really could have chosen better names for their sites!

I've only used OKCupid and POF. Found both to be pretty decent. OKCupid is the better developed site as it just looks and feels more professional. The average age of users on OKC is around 28ish (my guess anyway), whereas POF has slightly younger users. The work OKC has put into designing profile pages just means you learn more about the person. Plus I think it attracts less of the "lolz cum check me out xoxo" type.

But both are worth a go and both have decent enough people. I've not had any horror stories on either. Both have a fair amount of people who reply and I've met some good people on there.

Last edited by parker kent; 26-04-2011 at 13:12. Reason: Accidentally hit the post button before I had finished
Thanks from:
26-04-2011, 13:22   #9
Wibbs

Poll active
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2011, 17:59   #10
stripysocks85

Used OkCupid. Didn't get chatting to anyone interesting really. I liked the layout,and I liked the quizzes, but didn't really find it useful in it's main purpose of finding lurrrrrrve

Used Plenty of Fish. Met 1 man, and ended up going out with him for 2.5 years. Had chatted to a few other men at the time but they all seemed to be just out for the sex, and whilst sex is really important to me in a relationship, if men push for it from the outset, I lose interest quite quickly - I'm not just a piece of meat!

Can't comment on the others really. Signed up to Match as a joke, think they had a free trial or something. But I didn't really get chatting to anyone on that either.

I love chatting to people, regardless of whether I've an intention of meeting them, or see them as a potential partner or not. I just enjoy chatting and getting to know people, or the flirting. I think it's a great way of building a foundation of common interests before you meet, though the meeting is very important [obviously] and I don't think chatting to someone for 2 or 3 months is a good idea without meeting them or you could end up sorely disappointed in person.
26-04-2011, 19:30   #11
Augmerson

I've used OKcupid and POF. Out of those 2, OKcupid is definitely the better site, and I still use it. The type of people to be found on OKcupid seem more interesting - not a knock on POF users, I came across interesting people there too, but then there seemed to be an awful lot of "how r u? xx" with photos of either a tongue out or finger sticking up and hadn't got a whole lot to say. I like that on OKcupid you can take the tests or just answer questions, and you can let people know through your profile who you are more expressively.
26-04-2011, 21:49   #12
mariaalice

I am in my 40ths and am getting married to someone I met on a dating site...at the time I was separated.... I have two daughters....so for me it was a good experience for the most part but I will say its not for the faint hearted and its truly not good for anyone who is damaged in anyway ...when I have more time I will post about my experiences of on line dating.
26-04-2011, 22:00   #13
Otis Driftwood
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
I am in my 40ths and am getting married to someone I met on a dating site...at the time I was separated.... I have two daughters....so for me it was a good experience for the most part but I will say its not for the faint hearted and its truly not good for anyone who is damaged in anyway ...when I have more time I will post about my experiences of on line dating.
Congrats and best of luck with the marriage/future.
Thanks from:
27-04-2011, 00:13   #14
damagedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
I'm not usre if this is suitable for the thread but can I just ask why you wouldn't recommend it for someone who's "damaged"? I'm pretty sure I fall under that heading and it was for that reason that I was thinking of joining a dating site. I mean surely even the fact that you have to get to know the person a bit before you even meet them makes it easier to trust them etc.?
I'm not disagreeing with you or anything I just don't understand and am trying to decide whether to take the plunge or not.

27-04-2011, 14:40   #15
onlinedating

I don't know whether it's ok to post this here or should I take it elsewhere, but I've been on OkCupid and PoF and have had no luck whatsoever! I'm gay (female) and it just seems that any girls that are interested, only want sex. At the start, I didn't mind and wasn't taking the online dating too seriously, as I'm young and have a good social life anyway. I'm not one to get annoyed if I don't meet 'the one'. But I find myself now getting frustrated as it's been a couple of months and I've had plenty of girls interested in me, but only for sex!

Online dating seems to be more and more common these days, and useful for straight people. Doesn't seem to be the same for gay people. Or is it just me?!

Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion