Looking for Apprenticeship (help) - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2011, 01:00   #1
HoopsLad1888

Looking for Apprenticeship (help)

Hi im really new to this i hope i posted this in the right place lol.
i am currently in college but i hate it and am dropping out before the years out i generally hate the college and the course and just dont think college is for me i would rather do something more hands on so i am looking for an apprenticeship which i wanted to do in the first place, only went to college 2 make the parents happy but cant stand it anymore. Anyway i am looking for an apprenticeship as an electrician so if anyone has any advise for me about this or would be able to set me up with an apprenticeship or knows someone that could PLEASE reply to this . Thanks for reading
looking foreward to feedback
Advertisement
09-03-2011, 11:15   #2
yew_tree

ESB are currently taking applications for apprentices. check out their website. I hear they give great training.
09-03-2011, 11:22   #3
HoopsLad1888

Thanks Yew Tree i hav already applied for that hopefully i get a posative reply off them but i wont be holding my breath.
i would really love to get an electrical apprenticeship
someone HELP lol
10-03-2011, 12:33   #4
eire2009

Finish college, no work for sparkies at home. All the apprentices I know are struggling for the past 3 years to even get their final 6 months experience done.

ESB will be extremely hard to get into and they`ll let you go when you finish, with zero training for the domestic, commercial and Industrial markets. It’s mostly work in sub-stations which will only give you limited experience. You wont be insured or allowed to do anything by yourself there till your qualified..

Australia is changing the requirements for skilled migration and trades are the going to be the first to be axed. Other countries will follow as construction comes to a halt in many countries.

Don’t be expecting a reliable job out of it as there is so many highly experienced trades men out of work it will be near impossible to get chance of a good job in the future..

Working in all conditions as well is hard, if you go abroad when qualified some of the projects don’t come to a halt until -40C and 50C depending on the country,

There a lot of just pulling cable some the thickness of your leg on large scale projects…

Good money but its not an easy life and there’s nothing back home..

Id suggest doing Quantity Surveying, Project Management if you want to get into the construction business not a trade, I know some QS`s earning 1000Euro a day..

To be honest you`ll be bored to death in the college part as well, its Junior Cert pass maths and a few motors, really boring and that’s a year of the 4..
Thanks from:
10-03-2011, 12:43   #5
HoopsLad1888

Thanks but im dropping out next week and the course im doing is quantity surveying and its sh*te and i hate it and everything about it.
i think i hav something sorted there in a feww weeks so hopefully it works out for me...
also i would be happy working abrad as i plan to leave anyway its something i really want to do and i dont wan2 do anything else

Last edited by HoopsLad1888; 10-03-2011 at 12:47.
Advertisement
10-03-2011, 13:30   #6
eire2009

Your mental boy, if you want something hands on go the gym.. You`ll spend the first year getting lunches and carrying tools and getting shouted at..

Some people have to learn the hard way.. I did, ended up going back to college after a qualifying from a trade..

Go onto constructionjobs.ie and do a search for QS jobs and one for sparks.

Type electrician into jobs.ie or Fas.ie

Good luck either way ..
10-03-2011, 15:10   #7
HoopsLad1888

Thanks lol
10-03-2011, 17:38   #8
bassey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eire2009 View Post
ESB will be extremely hard to get into and they`ll let you go when you finish, with zero training for the domestic, commercial and Industrial markets. It’s mostly work in sub-stations which will only give you limited experience. You wont be insured or allowed to do anything by yourself there till your qualified.
Sorry I just had to highlight this. It's bullshìt.

Yes it is very hard to get into but it's a great apprenticeship if you do get it.

Saying he'd have zero training in domestic is wrong, he'll have done phase 2 and a fair bit of wiring. Same goes for industrial.

And no it's not all work in sub-stations. It's probably the most varied electrical apprenticeship you can do in the country just some of the things you'll do are:

Lines work at HV, MV and LV
Cables work at the same
Operations
Metering
HV station work
Sub station work

And withing all these there's so much more.

Also he won't definatly be let go at the end of his time, they keep on their best apprentices.

OP you'd be mad not to apply for the ESB apprenticeship, you have as much chance of getting it as everyone else who applies
(2) thanks from:
10-03-2011, 18:20   #9
HoopsLad1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassey View Post

Yes it is very hard to get into but it's a great apprenticeship if you do get it.

Saying he'd have zero training in domestic is wrong, he'll have done phase 2 and a fair bit of wiring. Same goes for industrial.

And no it's not all work in sub-stations. It's probably the most varied electrical apprenticeship you can do in the country just some of the things you'll do are:

Cables work at the same
Operations
Metering
HV station work
Sub station work

Also he won't definatly be let go at the end of his time, they keep on their best apprentices.

OP you'd be mad not to apply for the ESB apprenticeship, you have as much chance of getting it as everyone else who applies
Thanks man feels good to finally hav someone tell me its a good idea
Advertisement
10-03-2011, 18:29   #10
bassey

Look if you were to get it it's 4 years solid employment. But alot of what eire2009 said is true, there's an awful lot of unemployed electricians out there and apprentice's that can't get a job to finish their time
10-03-2011, 18:41   #11
HoopsLad1888

i no but sure what can ya do like its something i hav wanted 2 do so im doin it ya no
12-03-2011, 11:27   #12
eire2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassey View Post

Cables work at the same
Operations
Metering
HV station work
Sub station work

Like I said no experience in Domectic,Industrial or Commercial Industries..

Most of the work will be maintenance just reading voltages any major work sub-contractors are brought in to do..

Phase 2 isnt experience its training..

In this climate they will let go their apprentices go and renew them with more..

Dont get me wrong its money for 4 years + a trade ..

But a QS Degree is worth so much more in the long run a lot of the bull**** in college isnt apart of the actual job as well..
12-03-2011, 11:54   #13
bassey

Quote:

Most of the work will be maintenance just reading voltages any major work sub-contractors are brought in to do..
Wrong again, then how come as an apprentice I got to build cubicles in HV transformer stations? I got to build HV underground cable circuits?

Also your missing out one of the best things about the ESB apprenticeship, the chance to do an electrical engineering degree.
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2011, 13:31   #14
HoopsLad1888

eire2009 i no ur tryna help but as i said i am already doing a quantity surveying course at the moment and i hate it thats why i am dropping out.

Bassey you seem to knowwhat your talking about did you get into the ESB?
12-03-2011, 13:45   #15
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Australia is changing the requirements for skilled migration and trades are the going to be the first to be axed. Other countries will follow as construction comes to a halt in many countries.
NZ were looking for ways to fast-track the registration/conversion of many trades, because they needed lots of construction workers to fix damage caused by the September 10 earthquake. I suspect the demand will be even greater after the recent earthquake.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion