Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-03-2011, 09:15   #1
IrishHomer

What to do dog died

My beloved black Labrador passed away totally heartbroken he has leukaemia only diagnosed 5 days ago.

Just looking for advice are we allowed bury dog in garden?

Someone said it's not allowed anymore.
Advertisement
06-03-2011, 09:31   #2
Tallon
Closed Account

Sorry to hear about your dog, that is very sad news

afaik it is perfectly ok to still bury cats and dogs in your own garden
06-03-2011, 09:51   #3
lrushe

Sorry to hear about your dog Irishhomer, my sister's JRT died last June and she is buried in her back garden, just remember to put lime down first and it should be fine.
06-03-2011, 11:44   #4
ToniTuddle

Sorry to hear about your dog x

I never even thought about it being allowed or not to bury your pets in your land. Just figured you were allowed.

We have good sized area and have buried all of ours over the years, never gave it a second thought seeing as it's our land, maybe it's different if you are in rented accomodation?
I never put down lime though.
06-03-2011, 11:49   #5
ThisNoize

Hi, sorry about your loss.

Perfectly fine but I seriously recommend the lime, my mother learnt this the hard way as stray dogs dug up the family Lab, wasn't nice
Advertisement
06-03-2011, 14:10   #6
hdowney

so sorry for your loss.

when my cat died 10yr ago i was told by someone you can't bury them in your back garden - what if you move and some such. i was like i ain't moving any time soon and i don't give a fúck what anyone says, he is being buried in the garden.

two yr ago when the other cat died the vet had the option to have him cremated. we decided on this as if we do decide to move in the next few yrs i would have felt a bit crap having buried him - personal feeling but still.

if you want to bury him, you bury him and sod anybody else.
06-03-2011, 14:15   #7
amdublin

Sorry for your loss op

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdowney View Post
if you want to bury him, you bury him and sod anybody else.
Em no, no you don't.

You check if there are any health and safety / contamination issues.
You check if there are any council laws / guidelines.
You might ring a vet and query what is the best option, for you, for the environment, for your poor little deceased doggy.
Etc etc.

It's called being a responsible citizen.
06-03-2011, 14:21   #8
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
IMO if I wanted a bury a loved pet in the garden no one would stop me.

However a Lab is a large dog to bury, unless your strong/fit and can dig deep I'd recommend you taking it to the Vets and asking them to look after its removal.
Thanks from:
06-03-2011, 14:29   #9
Diddler1977

Sorry for your loss.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055505524
Discussion about pet cemeteries here
Advertisement
06-03-2011, 18:56   #10
hdowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdublin View Post
Sorry for your loss op

Em no, no you don't.

You check if there are any health and safety / contamination issues.
You check if there are any council laws / guidelines.
You might ring a vet and query what is the best option, for you, for the environment, for your poor little deceased doggy.
Etc etc.

It's called being a responsible citizen.
fair enough. but i just found people were BOSSING me about just after my pet died. honestly they were not kindly offering their advice and whatnot, they were ordering me about like they had the right. and i guess that is what got my back up. as i said i cremated my second cat (no pet cemetaries round here as far i kno).

it probably does pay to check things out, so you don't have hassles after you have buried your beloved pet, cos that could make things much worse for you
Thanks from:
06-03-2011, 19:00   #11
henryporter

Cremation is another option. Sorry for your loss OP.
06-03-2011, 19:06   #12
mistyd

Sorry for your loss op, I lost my little jack russell just before christmas, soo horrible..we buried her in the garden.. as we have done with every family pet.. as another poster said, the local vet will take care of cremation for you if you want to go down this route..
06-03-2011, 19:14   #13
kitchens decks

dont bury !

my advice is not to bury the dog in ur garden , i buried our cat in our yard 5 years ago in a small wooden box....two wks ago i dug out our lawn wit a digger for a new shed and ...yes.. i came across the buried box again so u never kno wat u will be digging out for in yrs to come, i reciently had to put my lab on donedeal for sale i kno how attached ppl get to labradors very loyal dogs
06-03-2011, 19:23   #14
ISDW
Closed Account

So sorry for your loss, I don't know the legalities of burying him in the garden, I guess it depends how urban or rural you are.

I'm really sorry that you didn't have much time to say goodbye to him, our dog died 2 years ago of lymphoma, we had 4 weeks between diagnosis and him leaving us.

Take care of yourself.
06-03-2011, 20:43   #15
Taceom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrushe View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog Irishhomer, my sister's JRT died last June and she is buried in her back garden, just remember to put lime down first and it should be fine.
I too am sorry to hear about your dog. It is very difficult to lose a pet especially after such a short illness.
I've never heard about the lime thing. Can anyone explain what it does or why it is recommended. I know my neighbours buried their lab in their garden and I don't recall them using lime.
I would imagine you could bury your dog on your own property, why not.
Thread Closed