Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2011, 20:33   #181
Limerick man

Best way to do it is to bring a stamped envelope, and both of ye go to a post box and post of the logbook.

Bring a printed page with you saying

"I ___________ have sold the vehicle with registration number _________ to ___________"

And both of ye sign it.

After that, it's up to trusting the owner.
Advertisement
16-09-2011, 23:21   #182
Deiseboy01

Hi Limerick Man,

Love the OP, did you ever get around to posting a sellers version?

I'm about to flog an 05 Renault Megane Monace 1.4L with 70,000 km's on the clock plus a 00 Lexus IS200 with 80k+ miles on the clock. Any idea what I should be asking?

Lexus has had a new timing belt and clutch in the last six months.
17-09-2011, 00:52   #183
Limerick man

Sadly neither of those cars would have a great resale, the demand for the Lexus Is200 has decreased alot lately and the supply has increased.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning up both cars, chancing the Megane at €4250 (and decreasing the price to around €3750 if it doesn't sell within a reasonable time frame) and about €2250 with the hope of getting somewhere between 1500-1800 for the Lexus.
17-09-2011, 14:45   #184
Kev_ps3
Banned

Whats the story with bringing a car to a garage to get it checked over before you buy it? Ive got a car last febuary and never bothered to do it, and when I went to sell it a few weeks ago no one wanted to do it. Is it the done thing? Is it really necessary? I never heard of anyone doing it.
I am having a look at a car during the week and I will probably do a motorcheck, would that be not enough?
cheers
17-09-2011, 15:01   #185
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_ps3 View Post
Whats the story with bringing a car to a garage to get it checked over before you buy it? Ive got a car last febuary and never bothered to do it, and when I went to sell it a few weeks ago no one wanted to do it. Is it the done thing? Is it really necessary? I never heard of anyone doing it.
Very, very few people would bring a car to a garage, most people will bring a mechanic with them but never bring it to a garage.

Quote:
I am having a look at a car during the week and I will probably do a motorcheck, would that be not enough?
cheers
No, a motorcheck is not enough. That's purely to check the history of the car, it's far from enough to check the current condition of a car. You really are best off bring a qualified mechanic with you to view a car for peace of mind.
Advertisement
17-09-2011, 16:29   #186
Kev_ps3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
Very, very few people would bring a car to a garage, most people will bring a mechanic with them but never bring it to a garage.

No, a motorcheck is not enough. That's purely to check the history of the car, it's far from enough to check the current condition of a car. You really are best off bring a qualified mechanic with you to view a car for peace of mind.
alrite man cheers, how much would a mechanic cost roughly to check it?
17-09-2011, 21:08   #187
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_ps3 View Post
alrite man cheers, how much would a mechanic cost roughly to check it?
I can't honestly answer that question because it completely depends on the mechanic.
17-09-2011, 22:05   #188
Deiseboy01

Quote:
Sadly neither of those cars would have a great resale, the demand for the Lexus Is200 has decreased alot lately and the supply has increased.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning up both cars, chancing the Megane at €4250 (and decreasing the price to around €3750 if it doesn't sell within a reasonable time frame) and about €2250 with the hope of getting somewhere between 1500-1800 for the Lexus.
Thanks LM, went to the garage today and the guy offered me a fair bit less than that for them so its a private sale for me.

I've also got an 01 BMW 520 Mtek which has 86k miles on the clock, any ideas as to its value?

I've just found out that number two is on the way so we're in the market for a people carrier, was looking at the SMax Ford, looks decent yet costly, what the general opinion of them?
17-09-2011, 22:11   #189
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiseboy01 View Post
Thanks LM, went to the garage today and the guy offered me a fair bit less than that for them so its a private sale for me.

I've also got an 01 BMW 520 Mtek which has 86k miles on the clock, any ideas as to its value?

I've just found out that number two is on the way so we're in the market for a people carrier, was looking at the SMax Ford, looks decent yet costly, what the general opinion of them?
The 520 without looking at other prices and if it's nct'd I'd be sticking it up for around 2250 and seeing how you go from there.

As for the Smaz I have only experienced one in my time, I was mad about it. Probably my favourite people carrier, main thing would be to watch out for service history etc. like any car, but they are a nice place to be in
Advertisement
18-09-2011, 12:08   #190
Deiseboy01

Went to clean up the damn Lexus which has been in the garage for a couple of months and it's as dead as the proverbial Dodo. Missus has buggered off in the BMW so I only have the Megane on hand, is it ok to charge a Lexus battery from a Megane?
18-09-2011, 12:10   #191
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiseboy01 View Post
Went to clean up the damn Lexus which has been in the garage for a couple of months and it's as dead as the proverbial Dodo. Missus has buggered off in the BMW so I only have the Megane on hand, is it ok to charge a Lexus battery from a Megane?
Charge it? No, jump it, maybe. I'd do it, but I'm not saying it's ok to do so. Probably better of buying a new battery for it, if it's fubbered it's going to stay fubbered
18-09-2011, 13:06   #192
connie147

Hey LM, very good post.

Im going buying myself a car and wondering if you could help with a guideline price. The car I have my eye on is 2007 Ford Focus ghia, 1.6l, 115BHP with 1 owner and 48,000 miles. Its been sold in a main dealers. Im not trading anything against it, straight deal. They were asking 8,900 for it, I have them down to 8,000 and reckon I could squeeze another couple of hundred off them.
Is this a fair price, or should I be getting it cheaper? I know the garage and the salesman, so no worries at all about anything being wrong with it. I also rang the previous owner who told me he just traded it against a new car.
Just looking for advice on price and indeed if anyone here has good/bad things to say about the 1.6l Focus Ghia?

connie
18-09-2011, 14:58   #193
Limerick man

If you're happy with the car, a bit under 8k wouldn't be bad at all! Any link to it?
18-09-2011, 19:15   #194
connie147

Quote:
If you're happy with the car, a bit under 8k wouldn't be bad at all! Any link to it?

Yeah, heres a link

http://www.beepbeep.ie/used-cars/car...=52027_1408819

Thanks for your advice anyway. What do you think of the focus ghia, and I guess, what do you think after checking the link?

Connie
18-09-2011, 19:38   #195
Limerick man

Hmmm...

You'd probably buy this for 6k,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2429015,

That gives you two grand to play with...
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion