Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-04-2011, 15:00   #76
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Have always had to get a three year UK license. But they don't charge me for it, and it's the handy credit card sized thing that you can actually carry around with you (unless your hiring a car when you need the paper part as well).

Was surprised when I got the Irish license and they asked far less details, I think it was just a note from a GP that I walked in to the office with, girl at the desk didn't even look at it, and just gave me a 10 year license. No actual checking of the medical details as far as I could see. That was some years ago though and I never bothered renewing it after that.
Advertisement
13-04-2011, 15:54   #77
BC

Robinph - didn't realise it was NHS, I understand now!

On the driving licence, I have good HBA1C - its been less than 6.5 for the last 8 years - but my consultant still won't put anything more than 3 years on the medical report so I've been getting 3 year licences.
14-04-2011, 14:09   #78
graflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
Robinph - didn't realise it was NHS, I understand now!

On the driving licence, I have good HBA1C - its been less than 6.5 for the last 8 years - but my consultant still won't put anything more than 3 years on the medical report so I've been getting 3 year licences.
You might fair better with the application form if you get your GP to sign it?
14-04-2011, 14:22   #79
CramCycle
"Jan and Klodi's Party Boy"

Mod: Cycling
Send a message via Skype™ to CramCycle
I never even got a cert from my GP, just handed in my form and they gave me one. No questions asked, that said they also gave me a provisional car license when i was 16 so i never really had much faith in their ability to check paperwork in my local CC.
16-04-2011, 08:41   #80
GlennGeo

Hey Guys, I would just like to ask you fellow diabetics about tattoos.
I am a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 and i am currently thinking of getting a tattoo.. Has anyone else got a tattoo and how did it go.. Was there any problems with getting it done?

Cheers
Glenn
Advertisement
16-04-2011, 09:13   #81
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennGeo View Post
I am a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 and i am currently thinking of getting a tattoo.. Has anyone else got a tattoo and how did it go.. Was there any problems with getting it done?

Cheers
Glenn
Hi Glenn, I have two, no problems getting them or since.
16-04-2011, 09:14   #82
GlennGeo

Ah thats grand
Thanks a million
Thanks from:
16-04-2011, 19:00   #83
lilmissmoo

Diabetes

Hi,

Recently my 7 year old nephew was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I would be putting it lightly to say that the diagnosis took the whole family by shock. My nephew is finding it very hard at the moment and naturally as a young child, keeps focusing on what he wont be able to eat from now on.

My family dont have much knowledge of diabetes and although the nurses have been fantastic, does anyone have any advice on living with type 1 diabetes?

Also, is there anywhere to buy diabetic easter eggs?

Thanks in advance
16-04-2011, 19:05   #84
Sid_Justice
Closed Account

I think the big chocolate stores like Thornton's sell diabetic chocolates. They do do Easter eggs but from personal experience, they sell out a few days before easter so get in early.
Advertisement
16-04-2011, 19:10   #85
tbh
Closed Account

Diabetic chocolate contains a sweetener which acts as a laxative if you eat too much. I wouldn't go near it to be honest. You should take a read through a few of the diabetes thread lmm, the good news is your nephew will be able to lead a normal (ish!) life once the shock subsides.
Thanks from:
17-04-2011, 11:31   #86
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennGeo View Post

Cheers
Glenn
I've had a tatoo since being diagnoed as well, it's not an issue. Just check your levels before hand and let the guy doing it know that your diabetic in case you flake out on him. There is not reason not to get one though.
17-04-2011, 11:32   #87
GlennGeo

Ya thats cool

Thanks
Glenn
20-04-2011, 07:45   #88
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbh View Post
Diabetic chocolate contains a sweetener which acts as a laxative if you eat too much. I wouldn't go near it to be honest. You should take a read through a few of the diabetes thread lmm, the good news is your nephew will be able to lead a normal (ish!) life once the shock subsides.
I wish someone had told me that before I went mad on the sugar free cola bottles.
20-04-2011, 08:53   #89
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
I wish someone had told me that before I went mad on the sugar free cola bottles.
ha ha yeah - I had two bars of chocolate and spent a very trying few hours "reading the paper" afterwards!
21-04-2011, 16:35   #90
robinph

Last weekend was a bit messy and involved an excessive amount of beer, quite a few high bg readings and of course hangovers. I was expecting the higher bg's and didn't worry too much about them though.

This week my numbers have continued to do silly things to me, basals have remained the same, corrections have been done, I know the canula must be in right or I'd be in hospital by now. But even with the correction and regular bg boluses I'm still running high far too much.

I've a feeling that my basals may have changed with the weather and I need to tweak them again. Looks like I'll be spending these bank holiday weekend doing more fasting tests as things currently seem way different to what was happening to me last week.

Going to run a 5 mile race tonight and with the weather being good I'm hoping for a better time than I've got so far on that course. Should also help bring the BG back down to a more sensible range.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion