Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

07-07-2012, 19:02   #1156
Dan man

Joanna Mills has replaced Catriona Cuddihy on the relay team after a successful appeal....correct decision in my view but it never should have come to this. The AAI made a huge blunder by putting Catriona on the team ahead of Joanna, there was absolutely no grounds they could argue for a legitimate reason behind that decision. Mills is much younger, much faster personal best, faster season's best, proven at major championships at underage level and has relay experience.
What the AAI should do now is that instead of breaking the heart of Catriona Cuddihy by now telling her she's off the team, they should include both girls and drop Jessie Barr from the squad of 6. This sounds drastic but it's not. Barr should instead be sent to London in the 400m hurdles with her B-standard for that event and in doing so she can still compete in the relay team without being named in the squad of 6.
The AAI are making bad judgements now on a regular basis that are clear to even casual followers of athletics let alone to the knowledgeable fan or the athletes themselves. They need to sort out their act, it's not fair on the athletes and after all they are the priority.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-07-2012, 19:49   #1157
Truman Burbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan man View Post
Joanna Mills has replaced Catriona Cuddihy on the relay team after a successful appeal....correct decision in my view but it never should have come to this. The AAI made a huge blunder by putting Catriona on the team ahead of Joanna, there was absolutely no grounds they could argue for a legitimate reason behind that decision. Mills is much younger, much faster personal best, faster season's best, proven at major championships at underage level and has relay experience.
What the AAI should do now is that instead of breaking the heart of Catriona Cuddihy by now telling her she's off the team, they should include both girls and drop Jessie Barr from the squad of 6. This sounds drastic but it's not. Barr should instead be sent to London in the 400m hurdles with her B-standard for that event and in doing so she can still compete in the relay team without being named in the squad of 6.
The AAI are making bad judgements now on a regular basis that are clear to even casual followers of athletics let alone to the knowledgeable fan or the athletes themselves. They need to sort out their act, it's not fair on the athletes and after all they are the priority.
As a "casual follower", it beggars belief that they did what they did. Do we know, for sure, what was their reasoning behind this initial incompetence apart from their apparent e-mail?? Am delighted Joanna Mills appealed. Well, her team anyway. Terrible to put her/them through this.

Re Catriona Cuddihy - A profuse apology won't cut much weight even if she knew the place should not have gone to her in the first instance, but apart from sentiment here, there seems no need to include Cuddihy, there's already the 6 best qualified and coaching needs to concentrate on them. I get what you're saying, but surely this is just more messin around? Experience for Cuddihy? Yes! Necessary for the women's relay. No!
07-07-2012, 23:55   #1158
feargale

Dan's solution seems fair and sensible, preferably with the agreement of all parties. It would, one would hope, be academic regarding Ireland's prospects, since it affects only the reserves' bench.
C. Cuddihy's present situation bears similarities to being acquitted of a crime, and then being told: " Sorry, we made a mistake, you're convicted."
The result of the ultimately disappointed party in this matter going to the High Court is anybody's guess.
I'm not familiar with the factionalism etc. referred to by Fitz, but if I devoted all my waking hours to qualifying for London, and failed, I would feel deflated. If that failure resulted solely from an administrative error I would be very angry indeed.
08-07-2012, 00:38   #1159
feargale

Dan's solution seems fair and sensible, preferably with the agreement of all parties. It's impact on Ireland's prospects would, one would hope, be academic, since it would affect only the reserves' bench.
C. Cuddihy's present situation bears similarities to being acquitted of a crime, and then being told, " sorry, we made a mistake, on second thoughts you are convicted."
The result of the ultimately disappointed party in this matter going to the High Court is anybody's guess.
I'm not familiar with the factionalism etc. referred to by Fitz, but if I devoted all my waking hours to qualifying for London, and failed, I would feel very deflated. If that failure resulted solely from an administrative error I would be very angry indeed.
This is as much about young athletes' lives as it is about the honour and glory of Ireland.
08-07-2012, 05:13   #1160
knockcon

Chloe Magee has shown good form in the build-up to the Olympics Reaching the final at an event in russia. Not many ov the worlds top ranked women are competing but a good confidence booster nonetheless, especially so close to London. Good luck to her in the final.
Advertisement
09-07-2012, 13:29   #1161
Truman Burbank

Catriona Cuddihy appealing
09-07-2012, 14:07   #1162
Dan man

I have created a virtual Olympic medals table based on medals won at the most recent World Championships in each sport. I've posted it over on the Olympic Countdown Thread, you can view it here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...0&postcount=87

Remember, it isn't a prediction based table but as I said based on recent World Championship medals.
09-07-2012, 17:11   #1163
Truman Burbank

Brammeier loses appeal

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/201...olympic-place/
09-07-2012, 17:50   #1164
Dan man

Showjumper Denis Lynch out of the Olympic team! He'll be replaced by another Irish combination:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2...-olympic-team/
Advertisement
10-07-2012, 18:05   #1165
Dan man

Cian O'Connor has been chosen as replacement for Denis Lynch for Olympic showjumping competition. He will ride Blue Loyd in London.
10-07-2012, 18:35   #1166
Truman Burbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan man View Post
Cian O'Connor has been chosen as replacement for Denis Lynch for Olympic showjumping competition. He will ride Blue Loyd in London.
Dan, when you get a chance, will you pass on the list of banned substances to Horse Sport Ireland please for dissemination?
10-07-2012, 18:50   #1167
The_Kew_Tour

Am I the only one who thinks its a disgrace that he is back in Irish team after the disgrace in 2004?
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2012, 18:51   #1168
Dan man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
Dan, when you get a chance, will you pass on the list of banned substances to Horse Sport Ireland please for dissemination?
I will do, thanks
10-07-2012, 20:11   #1169
Silvio.Dante
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kew_Tour View Post
Am I the only one who thinks its a disgrace that he is back in Irish team after the disgrace in 2004?
It's a complete joke and HSI are giving the two fingers to the IOC with this brazen selection...
11-07-2012, 15:34   #1170
Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio.Dante View Post
It's a complete joke and HSI are giving the two fingers to the IOC with this brazen selection...
Ah the IOC don't care. There's tons of ex-dopers in loads of sports. O'Connor (despite having his medal revoked) isn't even one of the more prominent ones.

Rules are there. As long as he's clean now and served his ban, they have to select the best available (see all the court cases from ex-dopers)

What should happen is life bans so situation like this don't arise
Thread Closed