Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals - Page 44 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

14-05-2012, 10:35   #646
Dodge

Updated route to gold for Katie. Semis would see her qualify as if she reaches there, a max of 3 Europeans will be there

Last 16; Kazakhstan
Last 8; Romania/Bulgaria
Last 4; Tajikistan/Kyrgzstan/France/Thailand
Final; China/Russia/North Korea/Brazil/USA/Norway/England/India

--
The 2nd seed, the double 64kg world champion Tatar from Turkey is out. 2 potential medalists Dong from China and Ochigava from Russia fight in the next round. Its likely one of those now won't make Olympics. Even with the wild card, one of the top 4/5 fighters won't make London
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 12:45   #647
cazzak79

Hope olive loughnane does well FYI she from
Galway not cork although she lives there
14-05-2012, 13:01   #648
Dan man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzak79 View Post
I'm aware that she moved to Galway when she was young but she was born in Cork and currently lives in Cork. I understand that there is very good case to put her down under Galway in the lists but as I stated when I was making the list that I will in the main be categorising them by county of birth. The reason I am doing so is that I foreseen instances such as this and came to the conclusion that the table would become too messy as there are other athletes who have connections to more than one county. I know it isn't ideal but at least the system is clear and in any case, it's only for a bit of amusement.

But actually thinking this over, it's hard to discount her Galway connections since they are so strong. Maybe it would be fairer to put her down under Galway as she is the a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea. I think this is one of those cases where it would be fairer to look beyond county of birth so I will indeed edit the list to reflect this. Remember it's only for fun anyway. At the end of the day the only colours that matter in London are the green white and gold....and gold silver and bronze of course!

Last edited by Dan man; 14-05-2012 at 13:25.
14-05-2012, 13:35   #649
CoachDudie

Really this thread should be given higher significance. I only saw it when it was linked in the athletics forum. Maybe it should be part of a special Olympic forum?
Anyway it's great to see more and more qualifying. First time I read this thread the expectations were for over 50, now it could be near 60!
Also near half the counties of Ireland are represented, a good spread.
Just a question, when is the final date that Ireland announce their team? Can you qualify at the European championships?
Keep up the great work Dan Man.
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2012, 13:43   #650
cazzak79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan man View Post
Quote:
I'm aware that she moved to Galway when she was young but she was born in Cork and currently lives in Cork. I understand that there is very good case to put her down under Galway in the lists but as I stated when I was making the list that I will in the main be categorising them by county of birth. The reason I am doing so is that I foreseen instances such as this and came to the conclusion that the table would become too messy as there are other athletes who have connections to more than one county. I know it isn't ideal but at least the system is clear and in any case, it's only for a bit of amusement.

But actually thinking this over, it's hard to discount her Galway connections since they are so strong. Maybe it would be fairer to put her down under Galway as she is the a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea. I think this is one of those cases where it would be fairer to look beyond county of birth so I will indeed edit the list to reflect this. Remember it's only for fun anyway. At the end of the day the only colours that matter in London are the green white and gold....and gold silver and bronze of course!
Hiya it's just I know her and her family for years as I'm friends with her sister dosnt matter to be honest just hope she does well
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 13:47   #651
Dan man

The qualification deadline varies by sport. Triathlon and modern pentathlon are based on Olympic rankings with cut-off on May 31/June 1. Athletics deadline is July 8th...indeed athletes can qualify at the European Championships in Helsinki.
Swimming times must be achieved by 3rd of July for pool events and the final qualifying tournament for the open water swim is June 9/10.
Other athletes currently on the reserve list such as Scott Evans (badminton), Anna Merveldt (dressage) and some of our eventers will find out shortly whether or not they will get call ups. Joe Ward in the men's light-heavyweight boxing should also know this month if he will get a wildcard invitation for London.
Thanks from:
14-05-2012, 13:50   #652
Dan man

Quote:
Hiya it's just I know her and her family for years as I'm friends with her sister dosnt matter to be honest just hope she does well
I think everyone can agree with the good will sentiments...she will be one of our top performers in London, really wish her all the best.
14-05-2012, 13:56   #653
CoachDudie

Quote:
The qualification deadline varies by sport. Triathlon and modern pentathlon are based on Olympic rankings with cut-off on May 31/June 1. Athletics deadline is July 8th...indeed athletes can qualify at the European Championships in Helsinki.
Swimming times must be achieved by 3rd of July for pool events and the final qualifying tournament for the open water swim is June 9/10.
Other athletes currently on the reserve list such as Scott Evans (badminton), Anna Merveldt (dressage) and some of our eventers will find out shortly whether or not they will get call ups. Joe Ward in the men's light-heavyweight boxing should also know this month if he will get a wildcard invitation for London.
I suppose others are happy that they've already qualified and can concentrate on the Olympics with their training etc but if others manage to qualify in these last few weeks they will know they are on great form in the lead up to London. They'll be flying it.
Do you know is there many using Helsinki as there last go at qualification? Is this where Gillick is going?
14-05-2012, 14:19   #654
Dan man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDudie View Post
I suppose others are happy that they've already qualified and can concentrate on the Olympics with their training etc but if others manage to qualify in these last few weeks they will know they are on great form in the lead up to London. They'll be flying it.
Do you know is there many using Helsinki as there last go at qualification? Is this where Gillick is going?
It's very difficult to know who will be going to the Europeans with the Olympics just 5 weeks after....some people will use those champs to prepare, others will stay clear so as they can peak in London. I think I read that Gillick has Helsinki in his plans in order to prepare for the rounds of the 400m. Also most athletes who have not achieved the standards for the Olympics but have the European standard will likely use that competition in order to have a crack at the qualifying mark.
I would think we might see a lot of our Olympians at the Europeans. It's also a great opportunity for our women's 4x400m squad to nail down that Olympic place for sure...they are ranked 12th in the Olympic rankings with the top 16 teams achieving qualification when the deadline arrives. Even if they don't improve on their times from last year they still have a very good chance of qualifying. But I am sure they will be even faster this year with Joanne Cuddihy getting back to good form.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 14:28   #655
Dan man

In sailing news, our men's 470 team of Ger Owens and Scott Flanigan have placed 9th in both race 2 and race 3 at the men's World Championships in Barcelona today. They have so far put together a strong scorecard that keeps them towards the top of the rankings in terms of Olympic qualification. They are due to have another race today and another top 10 placing would be a very welcome result.

Last edited by Dan man; 15-05-2012 at 00:17.
14-05-2012, 14:38   #656
CoachDudie

Quote:
It's very difficult to know who will be going to the Europeans with the Olympics just 5 weeks after....some people will use those champs to prepare, others will stay clear so as they can peak in London. I think I read that Gillick has Helsinki in his plans in order to prepare for the rounds of the 400m. Also most athletes who have not achieved the standards for the Olympics but have the European standard will likely use that competition in order to have a crack at the qualifying mark.
I would think we might see a lot of our Olympians at the Europeans. It's also a great opportunity for our women's 4x400m squad to nail down that Olympic place for sure...they are ranked 12th in the Olympic rankings with the top 16 teams achieving qualification when the deadline arrives. Even if they don't improve on their times from last year they still have a very good chance of qualifying. But I am sure they will be even faster this year with Joanne Cuddihy getting back to good form.
It should be a good appetiser for the Olympics anyway and hopefully we get a medal or two plus a few late qualifiers.
14-05-2012, 14:48   #657
Dan man

Quote:
It should be a good appetiser for the Olympics anyway and hopefully we get a medal or two plus a few late qualifiers.
Yep it'll keep us ticking over until the big one comes... I'd say some athletes will show more emotion by actually making the standard than those winning the medals. Some of the distance races could be interesting, probably they won't be won at a crawl due to the fact that athletes are chasing the standards.
14-05-2012, 15:04   #658
Dan man

The Irish men's 470 duo of Owens and Flanigan have placed 10th in race 4 meaning that they have had a very good day in the battle for Olympic qualification. I will update with a list of the current standings when it is made available but it has to be said that they are well on track for a place in London 2012. Another consistent day in the top 10 tomorrow should cement that Olympic quota place.

Last edited by Dan man; 15-05-2012 at 00:17.
14-05-2012, 15:24   #659
Dan man

At the men's Finn World Championships in Falmouth, Ireland's Ross Hamilton endured another disappointing day of racing placing 45th and 58th in today's races. He has racked up an unwelcome total of points on his scorecard now that would suggest his chances of making the Olympic quota positions are now on the slim side.
Here is the latest ranking of those unqualified nations in Falmouth (the top 6 will gain Olympic quota places at the end of the competition):

Ross has moved up one place in this list.

POSITIONCOUNTRYRACE 1RACE 2RACE 3RACE 4TOTAL
1Poland91081542
2Austria2911213596
3Czech Republic10373130108
4Germany23133054120
5China21313338123
6Turkey32302564151
7Hungary39294346157
8Norway44461855163
9Cyprus47444833172
10India38386252190
11IRELAND (Ross Hamilton)73404558216

Last edited by Dan man; 14-05-2012 at 15:47.
14-05-2012, 15:55   #660
Dodge

Quote:
Really this thread should be given higher significance. I only saw it when it was linked in the athletics forum. Maybe it should be part of a special Olympic forum?
I, amongst others, tried to get an Olympics forum 4+ years ago and was shot down.
Thread Closed