Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals - Page 35 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-04-2012, 14:17   #511
FitzjamesHorse

Only three athletes can go in the Marathon but there is a potential solution which could possibly allow all four to go the Olympics. The OCI will have to make a decision which could possibly be based on "first come first served" or even the three fastest times.
The "right" way to do it would be to select on the basis of who will perform best in the actual race. And that requires the judgement of Solomon. Someone will get left out and it could get pretty acrimonious......although it has not happened in Athletics, am I right in thinking that there was an acrimonious dispute fouror eight years ago in one of the two-man sailing classes?
Indeed it could all get very nasty.
People need a "Plan B" possibly thru a "B Standard Qualification" in the 10,000 metres. If one athlete was to get that standard and having already obtained "A" standard at Marathon, I would expect AAI to nominate that athlete for 10,000 metres....and Id expect the OCI to agree.
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 14:35   #512
FitzjamesHorse

Olympic Club of Castlebar, Mullingar, Skibbereen..........not to mention Enniskillen and Ballymena.
Actually I have often thought the same. That there are too many "small clubs" on a small island. It does not need to apply to major sports but I see no problem with minority sports particuarly those which require little space....Table Tennis, Badminton, Wrestling for example.
In effect we already have places in Ireland which are "into" specific sports......Skibbereen for Rowing, Dublin/Befast/Cork for Hockey.
People move thru school into the next level of a sport.
As a fan of the Olympics, I am often amazed at just how many sports we play in Ireland.
Discounting GAA, Hurling, Camogie and "Winter Sports" , I keep records on 50 sports.
Possibly too many to guarantee any kind of Olympic success.
The OCI is obliged to treat every sport equally ......and rightly so........but imagine the consequences (rightly impossible in a democratic society) if all not Olympic sports with the exception of our national sports lost financial support.....so that (say) Snooker, Surfing, Squash, Orienteering were not supported or even "banned".
More so imagine the consequences if there was a national directive that only ten sports would be fully supported.
The Cubans did it with Boxing for example.........but not with Football.

Let me hasten to add I am not recommending Cuban style decision making. Merely stating that Olympic success could be "guaranteed" but only with difficult decisions being made.
15-04-2012, 16:32   #513
feargale

What happened or what is happening to Eoin Rheinisch?
15-04-2012, 17:25   #514
Dan man

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
What happened or what is happening to Eoin Rheinisch?
Eoin is still on the qualification trail. He has recently qualified from the Irish trials to take part at the Olympic qualifier alongside Ciaran Hurteau and Sam Curtis. Eoin has one remaining chance to qualify for London 2012, this will be at the European Championships in Augsburg 11th-15th May.
The top 2 finishers from those countries who have not already qualified for the Olympics will qualify a boat for London. On that basis Ireland are in with a very good shout for one of those two remaining berths as Ciaran almost qualified at the Worlds last year and most of the top nations have already booked their Olympic places.
The Irish women's K-1 slalom kayakers are in a similar situation and Hannah Craig should be in with a decent shout of claiming one of the 2 qualifying berths.
15-04-2012, 19:11   #515
Dan man

Irish pentathlete Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe has finished an excellent 22nd in the third leg of the Modern Pentathlon World Cup Series in Budapest. This adds a sizeable portion of Olympic qualifying points to his tally and edges him towards the 2012 World Cup Series Final in which there will be a heap of Olympic qualifying points up for grabs. Starting to look really promising for the lad now, London 2012 is on the horizon!
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 19:19   #516
Dan man

Joe Ward has got off to a great start at the Olympic boxing qualifying tournament in Trabzon Turkey, beating Katende of Sweden easily on a 16-6 scoreline. Positive start.
15-04-2012, 19:36   #517
feargale

Joyce boxes Joe Cordina of Wales, a clever, aggressive little southpaw, aged 20. He won a tournament in Finland in november, beating Enroth of Finland 15-7, < see u-tube> and in the final Russian Vaganov 14-13. He also won in the Combat Games 2011, beating Zhong of China and Velky of Czech Rep.. Lost to Burhard, Germany in round one of the 2011 World Championships. He could trouble Joyce. There's a picture of him in Facebook stroking a tiger, but it could be a stuffed one !
Ward's opponent Katende is a big, hard-hitting Swede of limited skill, aged 25, who in the 2008 qualifiers beat a Pole, a Bosnian, a Turk and a Greek to lose to Kenny Egan in the final 15-10. In the Olympics Russian Beterbiev beat him 15-3. I would expect Ward to beat him.
I can get no info on Hickey's or Nolan's first round opponents.
15-04-2012, 20:54   #518
Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
I can get no info on Hickey's or Nolan's first round opponents.
Bios here

http://www.aiba.org/documents/site1/...iographies.pdf

Route to Olympics

Barnes
v Hungary
v Romania/Belarus

Joyce
v Wales
v Denmark/Germany
v Lithuania/Slovakia/Poland

Hickey
v Moldova
v Latvia
v Turkey/Croaita/Serbia/Czexh
Final

Nolan
v Poland
v Azerbaijan/Bulgaria
v Bosnia/Georgia/Romania/Cyprus

Ward
v Sweden - won
v Turkey
v Italy/Latvia
v Belarus/Slovenia/Greece/Finlnd

McCarthy
v Bosnia
v Hungary
v Turkey/Iceland/Moldova/Germany
Finland
15-04-2012, 22:33   #519
Dan man

2 out of 2 so far for the Irish in Trabzon...Joyce won through a tough encounter with Welsh opponent Cordina. He stopped the contest in the third frame for a superb comeback victory. Up next for Joyce is a tough but familiar German opponent Artur Brill, whom Joyce beat on countback at the recent Chemistry Cup in Germany. I think Joyce will just about edge this one again (we hope at least).
Advertisement
16-04-2012, 00:45   #520
feargale

I can get no info on the other Irish boxers' opponents, except that Ross Hickey's Moldovan opponent, Galagot, was one of 8 Moldovans at the 2011 Europeans. I dont know how he fared, but I found a page that expressed high hopes in advance for 5 of the Moldovans, and he wasn't one of them. However, Moldovan boxing isn't bad.
Incidentally, I see that Britain has three 60kg. contenders in Trabzon, representing England, Scotland and Wales, and also multiples at other weights. Maybe we should have four, from Munster, Leinster, Ulster and Connacht !
16-04-2012, 00:46   #521
feargale

I can get no info on the other Irish boxers' opponents, except that Ross Hickey's Moldovan opponent, Galagot, was one of 8 Moldovans at the 2011 Europeans. I dont know how he fared, but I found a page that expressed high hopes in advance for 5 of the Moldovans, and he wasn't one of them. However, Moldovan boxing isn't bad.
Incidentally, I see that Britain has three 60kg. contenders in Trabzon, representing England, Scotland and Wales, and also multiples at other weights. Maybe we should have four, from Munster, Leinster, Ulster and Connacht !
16-04-2012, 15:30   #522
Dodge

Hickey well beaten. Shame as himself and Moylette have been excellent at this weight for a number of years

Nolan won 14:9 (despite being knocked down in the 3rd). He faces a young lad from Azerbaijan in the next round. Now 2 wins away from London
16-04-2012, 18:16   #523
Dan man

Major disappointment for Irish Olympic hopes today with the news that Joe Ward has lost his last chance saloon Olympic qualifier with Turkish boxer Muzzafer and thus will not compete in London. Bitterly disappointing as Ward had been widely tipped to do very well should he qualify for the Olympics. The less boxers we qualify for London, the less serious medal chances we will have and Joe's absence is going to hit our hopes hard.
16-04-2012, 19:09   #524
Cosmo Kramer

It's a huge blow and now we've lost Con Sheehan too. Both to host country boxers I think.

In terms of the original title of this thread - genuine medal hopes as opposed to qualifiers - today has been a dreadful day, with Ross Hickey going out as well.
16-04-2012, 22:32   #525
feargale

I'm sick, sick, sick, especially over Joe Ward. Billy Walsh was on radio questioning the decision. Has anyone seen the fight? I can find no tv channel covering Trabzon. If home decisions are being given, the bad news is that one of our winners faces Azerbaijan in the next round, which is the same as facing a Turk. They're first cousins.
Thread Closed