Google Navigation - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2011, 17:39   #16
k123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tui0hcg View Post
You sure can - really quick way of getting directions - zoom in use the 'whats here' option on the PC and then star it
It will show in your starred place in a matter of seconds on the phone

Hi I tried this and is not working, prob. something i am doing wrong
Advertisement
17-02-2011, 18:16   #17
k123456

Question on caching of maps to phone

Imagine I am abroad and dont want to use data (turn3g off) , say I want to navigate from Madrid to Girona

Using a wifi connection, (in Ireland before I leave), can I download the route to phone , looks like I can only do this using Maps, rather than navigation ?

I arrive in Spain and switch off 3g, will the navigation work and better still , will it reroute me if I go slightly off course, miss a turn ?

Last edited by k123456; 17-02-2011 at 19:02.
18-02-2011, 09:44   #18
BionicRasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by k123456 View Post
Hi I tried this and is not working, prob. something i am doing wrong
Click on map (on the PC that is)
Choose 'Whats Here'
the map will then either show a little green arrow or the place marker
Click on arrow or place marker and you will see a little star next to the address
click the star and that is then saved to your starred places
it will show on your phone almost instantly
18-02-2011, 09:57   #19
BenEadir

Quote:
Choose 'Whats Here'
Click on arrow or place marker and you will see a little star next to the address
Then click on https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l and change the name from gobbledegook Longitude and Latitude numbers to something that means something to you.

This little thread is becoming quite the Wiki for Google Navigation knowledge eh???

Ben
18-02-2011, 10:05   #20
BenEadir

Quote:
Originally Posted by k123456 View Post

Imagine I am abroad and dont want to use data (turn3g off) , say I want to navigate from Madrid to Girona

Using a wifi connection, (in Ireland before I leave), can I download the route to phone , looks like I can only do this using Maps, rather than navigation ?

I arrive in Spain and switch off 3g, will the navigation work and better still , will it reroute me if I go slightly off course, miss a turn ?
k123456 you might need something like this for offline navigation http://www.mapdroyd.com. Haven't used it myself but can't imagine it's as user friendly or up to date as Google Navigation but might be a good backup option if you lose your 3G connection or want to leave it turned off.

BTW, depending on what network you are on data roaming within Europe is no longer as punitive as it was. I get 50mb a day FOC in Europe as part of my standard 2GB monthly data package with Vodafone and I believe if you don't have that facility you can call them and they will only charge €1 a day for 50mb. I'm not 100% certain on that as I haven't had to use it recently but it's worth checking out before going to all the hassle of trying to use offline maps. I can't imagine Google Navigation would use more than 50mb even if you drove for 24 hours straight. Can anyone confirm the amount of data Google Navigation typically uses per hour of driving?

Make sure yo have your email sync and other data connecting apps turned off as well however.

Hope that helps.

Ben
Advertisement
18-02-2011, 10:42   #21
Gryzor

Quote:
Choose 'Whats Here'
When i do this, i can see the location in https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l, but it doesn't appear in Navigation on my phone. I have to go into Maps first, then back into Navigation and its there then...
18-02-2011, 10:43   #22
BionicRasher

I have tried in vain to get a good way to map a route either on the PC (and transfer to my phone) or directly on the phone when I want to go via a location to another location

Example -

I want to go visit Dublin to do a bit of shopping.
I want to go to Ikea first
I then want to go to Woodies on the Naas Road
I then want to go to Dublin Zoo with the kids

How do i set that up?
I know I can star each place and do one after the other but thats a pain
18-02-2011, 12:11   #23
BionicRasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
When i do this, i can see the location in https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l, but it doesn't appear in Navigation on my phone. I have to go into Maps first, then back into Navigation and its there then...
Strange
When I star a place on the PC I can then go to navigation on the phone and I see 5 options
Speak Destination
Type destination
Contacts
Starred Places
Recent Destinations

I just click Starred Places and viola

on a side note
Anyone know how I can get this on my Desire? http://www.htc.com/uk/howto.aspx?id=...ype=1&p_id=324
Would be real handy for the car
18-02-2011, 12:15   #24
Gryzor

Quote:
on a side note
Anyone know how I can get this on my Desire? http://www.htc.com/uk/howto.aspx?id=...ype=1&p_id=324
Would be real handy for the car
Google's version isn't as pretty, but it's alot more configurable than the HTC one..

Edit: Forgot the link for the HTC one

Last edited by Gryzor; 18-02-2011 at 12:18.
Advertisement
18-02-2011, 13:27   #25
BionicRasher

OK
Found the HTC one - well a version of it anyway
You need to install the HTC apk and also the CarHomelauncher apk if you want it to fire up say when your phone connects to your Bluetooth in the car

the apk's are in post 5 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=760322
Very nice

I had tried the Google one before but for some reason the screen kept timing out and it would not auto connect to my Bluetooth

The HTC one is very nice and has some great features when you click on call buttons etc - nice big icons

oh by the way you need to have Unknown Sources allowed in you applications to enable you to install an apk like this
18-02-2011, 13:44   #26
Gryzor

just tried the HTC one again, been ages since i tried it last. Doesn't seem to work on gingerbread, keeps force closing when i try and get at the settings....been using the google one for the last few months, launches automatically for me when bluetooth connects...
18-02-2011, 13:46   #27
BenEadir

tui0hcg,

Thanks for the links, I've been using the MyCarDock app from the market for a while but it's not that good.

I downloaded the three APK's from the XDA thread and although they download OK when I click on them I get the following error mesage "No application can be found to open this file."

I have a Samsung Galaxy S running Darky's 9.2 ROM and Dolphin HD browser. I've downloaded other APK's via the ROM and Browser without a problem.

Any thoughts?

Ben
18-02-2011, 13:49   #28
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySter View Post
I had the same problem. I used a cheap car charger I got on ebay and it did not supply enough charge. I bought an official HTC one and problem solved. If you check power it should say charging AC. If it does you should be ok.
Its a 12V 1A Charger with HTC cable, So nothing wrong with the supply, the device is not designed to have multi hardware power requests. Battery just isnt up to handling that type of abuse, it never was. So i cant see it changing other than placing with a large mA battery
18-02-2011, 14:31   #29
niallb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Chin View Post
Oh. I misunderstood completely

Just press on the location on the map so the pop up appears, then press on the pop up and press the star in the top right corner
Thanks for that. This might explain my problem with it a little more:

Navigation/Maps still doesn't allow you type in your own name for the location.
That's bad enough in the city, where at least you'd expect the address to be close.
In a rural area, if you try to save a location, it comes up under the name of the closest domestic or commercial property on a street - which can be over a mile away, and completely unrelated to the location you want to save!
18-02-2011, 14:52   #30
BionicRasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEadir View Post
tui0hcg,

Thanks for the links, I've been using the MyCarDock app from the market for a while but it's not that good.

I downloaded the three APK's from the XDA thread and although they download OK when I click on them I get the following error mesage "No application can be found to open this file."

I have a Samsung Galaxy S running Darky's 9.2 ROM and Dolphin HD browser. I've downloaded other APK's via the ROM and Browser without a problem.

Any thoughts?

Ben
Ya had the same problem last week on my non rooted Desire
I found this worked https://market.android.com/details?i...bt.downloadall
It allows you to save the file to your SD I believe and then you can open it with Astro or something similar and install it from there

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion