Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-10-2011, 16:50   #241
AhSureTisGrand
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,275
I'm not sure I agree with the definitions of libertarianism and authoritarianism on which the test seems to operate. "Authoritarianism" appears here to refer to one's general attitude to life, rather than one's political views.

In theory, I could be a libertarian yet promote a very authoritarian parenting style. I might say that only the parents / legal guardians may infringe on the rights of their children, and nobody else (ie the State) may restrict their freedoms. My parenting might involve hitting my children and constantly invading their privacy, yet at the same time if somebody tried to force them to go to school I would be mighty pissed off. Then when the child becomes an adult I would acknowledge that they own themselves and cease aggression against them. Similarly, if I were an employer I could treat my employees like mindless sheep yet still consider myself a political individualist.

The poll also seems to consider racism a form of authoritarianism. If I think my race is superior to others why does that mean I can't believe in strong individual freedom?

Basically a lot of the questions are kinda irrelevant to politics and you need to be a douchebag to score high on the authoritarian scale
AhSureTisGrand is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2011, 17:20   #242
DEVEREUX
Registered User
 
DEVEREUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 516
DEVEREUX is offline  
05-11-2011, 13:19   #243
RussellTuring
Registered User
 
RussellTuring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSureTisGrand View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the definitions of libertarianism and authoritarianism on which the test seems to operate. "Authoritarianism" appears here to refer to one's general attitude to life, rather than one's political views.

In theory, I could be a libertarian yet promote a very authoritarian parenting style. I might say that only the parents / legal guardians may infringe on the rights of their children, and nobody else (ie the State) may restrict their freedoms. My parenting might involve hitting my children and constantly invading their privacy, yet at the same time if somebody tried to force them to go to school I would be mighty pissed off. Then when the child becomes an adult I would acknowledge that they own themselves and cease aggression against them. Similarly, if I were an employer I could treat my employees like mindless sheep yet still consider myself a political individualist.

The poll also seems to consider racism a form of authoritarianism. If I think my race is superior to others why does that mean I can't believe in strong individual freedom?

Basically a lot of the questions are kinda irrelevant to politics and you need to be a douchebag to score high on the authoritarian scale
I think they expect a person's political opinions to be consistent with their general thoughts. If you don't like the idea of government but still wield a great deal of authority on your children, then you're only rejecting a particular form of authority; not all authority on principle.
RussellTuring is offline  
29-07-2012, 21:27   #244
Denerick
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,415
Thought I'd update this. I feel that I've taken a strong lurch to the left in the past year, and decided to give the political compass another wheeze to see where I stand. And this is where I got:

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49




There is some huge flaws with this though, there is no way that myself and Robert Mugabe share the same views on economic policy.
Denerick is offline  
31-07-2012, 03:47   #245
matthew8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,432
Before I post my compass I would like to point out that this website is a left-libertarian hack website that is designed to convince everyone of how left wing they are, and to know the extent of their hackishness you need only look at their US 2012 compass. The questions are completely loaded and many of them irrelevant. Anyway here's my compass:



I must say though that I strongly disagreed with a clear majority of the statements. Not sure how I got an economic score so far to the right, even though I would be even further to the right I remember answering most of the economic questions like someone on the left.
matthew8 is offline  
Advertisement
31-07-2012, 11:58   #246
Kinski
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew8 View Post
this website is a left-libertarian hack website that is designed to convince everyone of how left wing they are, and to know the extent of their hackishness you need only look at their US 2012 compass. The questions are completely loaded and many of them irrelevant.

[...]

Not sure how I got an economic score so far to the right, even though I would be even further to the right I remember answering most of the economic questions like someone on the left.
Need I even say anything?
Kinski is offline  
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2012, 22:50   #247
matthew8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinski View Post
Need I even say anything?
What do you mean? It asked whether corporations exploited third world countries and I said they are because it is what it is. It asked whether there should be environmental regulations and I said yes there should be. It asked whether what's good for corporations is always good for people and I strongly disagreed. Those were the 3 that stuck out in my mind. I don't have a left wing position on any of the actual issues pertaining to those questions though.
matthew8 is offline  
01-08-2012, 12:47   #248
Kinski
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew8 View Post
What do you mean? It asked whether corporations exploited third world countries and I said they are because it is what it is. It asked whether there should be environmental regulations and I said yes there should be. It asked whether what's good for corporations is always good for people and I strongly disagreed. Those were the 3 that stuck out in my mind. I don't have a left wing position on any of the actual issues pertaining to those questions though.
You claim the test is designed to trick people into thinking they're left-wing, yet even though you claim that you responded to many propositions in ways which you consider left-wing, the test still placed you on the right. Doesn't really back up your claim that it's trying to falsely identity test-takers as leftists.
Kinski is offline  
Thanks from:
01-08-2012, 20:44   #249
matthew8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinski View Post
You claim the test is designed to trick people into thinking they're left-wing, yet even though you claim that you responded to many propositions in ways which you consider left-wing, the test still placed you on the right. Doesn't really back up your claim that it's trying to falsely identity test-takers as leftists.
The fact that I answered any economical questions in a left wing way means the questions are loaded.
matthew8 is offline  
Advertisement
01-08-2012, 22:18   #250
View
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew8 View Post
The fact that I answered any economical questions in a left wing way means the questions are loaded.
No, it doesn't; it just means your "inner Communist" is struggling to get out.
View is offline  
(3) thanks from:
03-08-2012, 14:19   #251
RandomName2
Registered User
 
RandomName2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: R'lyeh
Posts: 2,924
I'm stuck right in the middle of left-and right economically (when I first took the test I was actually on the line... now I'm just a tiny piece to the left )

And naturally moderately libertarian.

I do not know how they have labelled the Socialist Party or Sinn Fein as Libertarian. Not. At. All.

Of course, one has to distinguish between those who say 'question authority' and those who say 'question authority... until such a point that we are in power and then do as we say.' There have been plenty or liberating revolutionaries who swept away the old order only to be far more authoritarian than those who came before.
RandomName2 is offline  
Thanks from:
06-08-2012, 02:10   #252
HalloweenJack
Registered User
 
HalloweenJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: David Frost Garden Party
Posts: 3,198
HalloweenJack is offline  
06-08-2012, 15:22   #253
Denerick
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName2 View Post
I'm stuck right in the middle of left-and right economically (when I first took the test I was actually on the line... now I'm just a tiny piece to the left )

And naturally moderately libertarian.

I do not know how they have labelled the Socialist Party or Sinn Fein as Libertarian. Not. At. All.

Of course, one has to distinguish between those who say 'question authority' and those who say 'question authority... until such a point that we are in power and then do as we say.' There have been plenty or liberating revolutionaries who swept away the old order only to be far more authoritarian than those who came before.
My biggest problem is with the economic questions. It asks you where you stand on principle, but not in practise. As a matter of principle, I think commodities like bottled water (Whose brands differ in only the most superficial ways) are a bit of a joke and that its a shame that we pay one euro fifty for 500mls (The markups are ludicrous)

That said, my loathing of bottled water (And to a lesser extent the speculation of land for profit) are comparable to my loathing to going to the dentist. In the end, I'll still go to the dentist, because I recognise I won't have any teeth left if I don't. The questions need to be less about ideals and more about what you actually think works in practise. Which is why I emerge further to the left than Lenin!
Denerick is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-08-2012, 19:10   #254
Histie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannny1 View Post

That has a bias to place people in the "Libertarian Left" quadrant. Here's another one: http://www.edwardgaffney.com/political-compass.html.

Last edited by Histie; 07-08-2012 at 20:37.
Histie is offline  
Thanks from:
08-08-2012, 00:53   #255
Scofflaw
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histie View Post
That has a bias to place people in the "Libertarian Left" quadrant. Here's another one: http://www.edwardgaffney.com/political-compass.html.
Hmm....100% of people are closer to the centre than me? That's almost impressive.



Needs an easy way to do that. A generated image taking in the coords of the user's result would work.

Political Compass (current) for comparison:

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

cordially,
Scofflaw

Last edited by Scofflaw; 08-08-2012 at 01:00.
Scofflaw is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet