Louis Theroux documentary - The Ultra Zionists - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-02-2011, 18:23   #1
My name is URL

Louis Theroux documentary - The Ultra Zionists

This is on tonight.. I suspect some here might like to watch it.

BBC2 - 9:00pm (Louis Theroux, Ultra Zionists) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ybyxp

Just a heads up for anyone interested
Advertisement
03-02-2011, 20:20   #2
Penn

Fantastic. I love Louis Theroux. This should be really interesting
03-02-2011, 20:39   #3
Phill Ewinn
Closed Account

Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given. This show has the possibility to be absolute dynamite. Can't wait to see the reactions in the various discussion forums after it's over.
03-02-2011, 21:01   #4
My name is URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Ewinn View Post
Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given. This show has the possibility to be absolute dynamite. Can't wait to see the reactions in the various discussion forums after it's over.
I'm almost certain that he isn't Jewish.. afaik he's irreligious but was raised in a catholic family.
03-02-2011, 21:09   #5
kryogen

pretty sure i saw this documentary before
Advertisement
03-02-2011, 21:09   #6
kryogen

yep, i have seen it. good watch but nothing you wont already know
03-02-2011, 21:16   #7
My name is URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
yep, i have seen it. good watch but nothing you wont already know
Are you sure? According to the BBC site and Louis' Twitter page, it's the first time it has aired.
03-02-2011, 21:48   #8
RGDATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Ewinn View Post
Therioux is himself jewish. Wonder if that will influence his opinions given.
As URL has said, Theroux is not Jewish though it seems to be a popular myth about him.

Possibly this is because of the scene in his show with the US Nazis in which he refuses to confirm or deny their suspicions. But if you look at his background there's no suggestion he's Jewish.
Thanks from:
03-02-2011, 23:56   #9
Brown Bomber
Banned

Irrelevant if he is Jewish or not.

Thanks for sharing url. Always enjoyed Theroux's programmes, should be well woth the watch.
Anyway. Part 1 on Youtube,

part 2 on related videos
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2011, 00:00   #10
Arciphel

Thought this was brilliant. Depressing watch though, can't see any possible way out of the predicament over there.
04-02-2011, 00:57   #11
kryogen

Nope, beliefs are a horrible thing, people kill and die for beliefs, i prefer theories and ideas
04-02-2011, 13:36   #12
Yitzhak Rabin
Banned

As usual with Louis Theroux it was very thought provoking. The attitude of some of those settlers was nauseating. The sheer arrogance and racism was really revolting.

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture, and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

The sad thing is, that although those nut-bag religious types are a tiny minority, they hold sway in government. Its documentaries like that that really expose the dangers of religious radicals. I wish people would just see the wailing wall as just a wall, and the temple mount as just a building. That those ancient books can cause so much misery for people today is really mind-boggling.
(2) thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:34   #13
allybhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekahS View Post
As usual with Louis Theroux it was very thought provoking. The attitude of some of those settlers was nauseating. The sheer arrogance and racism was really revolting.

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture, and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

The sad thing is, that although those nut-bag religious types are a tiny minority, they hold sway in government. Its documentaries like that that really expose the dangers of religious radicals. I wish people would just see the wailing wall as just a wall, and the temple mount as just a building. That those ancient books can cause so much misery for people today is really mind-boggling.

I've been to Israel and unfortunately the mindset of those in the documentary lastnight would be the opinion of the vast vast majority of people I met in over there, allbeit perhaps not as vocal in front of camera. I couldn't believe when the young guy started saying he saw 'arabs' as unequal and the Jews were the chosen race..... Eh hello Holocaust much?
Thanks from:
06-02-2011, 01:51   #14
Mr Plough
Banned

Flame the BBC on one hand.. Look forward to watching in on the other. Difficult to decipher what is being spoonfed and what is good honest journalism/reporting.
06-02-2011, 01:56   #15
ArtSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekahS View Post

The only problem with Louis documentaries is that he focussing in on a bizarre sub-culture
, and sometimes the viewer is left with the impression that all Israelis are like the ones in the documentary, when in fact that is just the lunatic fringe. It was the equivalent of a documentary on a group of extremist Muslims who believe that all Jews should be put to the sword. It would have been better if it was maybe a two-parter, that also focussed perhaps on the Palestinian side, with both episodes also including views from the larger more moderate views.

That is standard Theroux. Tabloid masquerading as Broadsheet, delivered with a Guardian accent. Seen through him a long time ago.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion