Throwers and throws coaching - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2011, 09:44   #31
RoyMcC

It's sad that not even one of the senior throwers in the area can see their way to clear to taking the initiative. Even one dedicated coach who has (1) done it him/herself at a high level and (2) who is willing to pass on their expertise can make a big difference very quickly.

There was a lad, Patsy O'Connor, from Tralee I met a couple of years back. He seemed very enthusiastic and knowledgeable and the sort of bloke that could make an impression.

However Ireland isn't alone in this lack of expertise.
Advertisement
04-03-2011, 08:38   #32
madon

If you wanted to coach Shot or discuss how would you go about doing it?
04-03-2011, 09:00   #33
RoyMcC

Quote:
Originally Posted by madon View Post
If you wanted to coach Shot or discuss how would you go about doing it?
1. If you know something about it get yourself down to your local club. Tell them you want to coach. They'll be delighted to have your help, especially if you can make a regular commitment.

2. Depending on the club, the head coach there ought to be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise pick up the phone to your local RDO and ask him about courses and qualifications.

3. But the main thing is, if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.
04-03-2011, 09:36   #34
a_non_a_mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMcC View Post
3. But the main thing is, if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.
Absolutely....
05-03-2011, 21:44   #35
electrictrad

Quote:
if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.
Can't agree more. . .every volunteer helps keep the sport alive
Advertisement
09-03-2011, 17:59   #36
a_non_a_mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictrad View Post
Listen, just a shout out for the throwers, especially the juniors who get forgotton during this winter season. . .let's not forget that we're likely to have 4 or 5 throwers at the Euro Juniors later in the year. . .Pons and Hanlon will both be around or above 50m in the discus. . .Doyle and Hickey are over 15m already in the shot. . .Barry, Doyle, McCabe, Furlong, and Campion will be over or above 60m in the hammer, and who'd bet against Oosthousen breaking 60m in the javelin. . .as well as some very talented juveniles. . . it's gonna be a fantastic summer for throwing!
"moved" this as it was going to drown in the other thread...
I kinda agree...
Discus...Pons and Hanlon both have a great chance of making standard...but I'd guess only one will be picked at most.
Shot Putt....junior men's standard is 17.60m with 6k....I'd love to see someone get that distance, but I just can't see it...Doyle threw 16.15m in the AAA's...can't see him improving a meter and half before July...16m is already good throwing...
hammer...We could have a few male hammer throwers who could get the standard of 66m....including McGuigan from Finn Valley who you missed in your name check

But what about the ladies?
Kennedy could make it in the hammer (55m)
Maloney could make it in the Shot depending on how much Shot work she is doing in US but 13.85m is a big ask
I'm not seeing any other females coming close...

but yeah, could have good competitions during the year.....real dept in the Junior Men's Hammer...if everyone turns up 55m would probably be need for top8...65m to be in contention for a medal...
Schools Senior boys hammer could be a cracker also....campion is gone from school but I think there is still enough to have a situation where 50m+ could be needed for top6 there.

roll on the fine weather and the outdoor season...
(3) thanks from:
11-03-2011, 16:15   #37
a_non_a_mouse

Upcoming throws coaching...

a few coaching sessions including all throws in Munster over the next couple of weeks...

http://www.corkathletics.org/
11-03-2011, 19:00   #38
electrictrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_non_a_mouse View Post
But what about the ladies?
Kennedy could make it in the hammer (55m)
Maloney could make it in the Shot depending on how much Shot work she is doing in US but 13.85m is a big ask
I'm not seeing any other females coming close...

but yeah, could have good competitions during the year.....real dept in the Junior Men's Hammer...if everyone turns up 55m would probably be need for top8...65m to be in contention for a medal...
Schools Senior boys hammer could be a cracker also....campion is gone from school but I think there is still enough to have a situation where 50m+ could be needed for top6 there.

roll on the fine weather and the outdoor season...
I agree with ya, I should've mentioned the ladies; Cara has a good chance. . .but I'd bet on only one qualifier at most in the ladies. . . all the potential competitors at European level are too young. . .I see us with three or four women at the Euro's in 3 or 4 years. . .its funny how all the contenders in the womens are Munster athletes. . .

The hammer is unbelieveable at the moment, lets hope that they push each other over the 66m . . .I don't see McGuigan being picked over the likes of Doyle or Barry even if he does get the standard. . .age will come into play if we have more than 3. . .
11-03-2011, 19:45   #39
RoyMcC

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictrad View Post
The hammer is unbelieveable at the moment, lets hope that they push each other over the 66m . . .I don't see McGuigan being picked over the likes of Doyle or Barry even if he does get the standard. . .age will come into play if we have more than 3. . .
Not surprised to hear that electrictrad. A couple of years ago I attended (as a coach) a hammer masterclass led by Paddy McGrath at Santry. The turnout of athletes was such that the group had to be split with Phil Conway. There were some great guys and gals there - enthusiastic, gagging to improve. If a few of these are now breaking through then I'm delighted (admin, need 'delighted' smiley.)

Last edited by RoyMcC; 11-03-2011 at 19:51.
Advertisement
11-03-2011, 20:34   #40
RoyMcC

Sorry, weak moment. Couldn't resist posting Pat O'Callaghan, Olympic hammer gold medallist in Amsterdam 1928. May he be an inspiration to our present day throwers.

(1928, a rare claim for Jersey success at the Olympics. Cyril Gill led off the GB 4 x 100m team who won the bronze. Cyril is buried in Gouray churchyard in Jersey.)
21-04-2011, 02:01   #41
stupidrobot

Good weekend of throwing ahead to get the season started, a Kerry AAI Open competition on Friday, seems they have all field events and a few runs, event is permitted and I think Claire Fitzgerald is trying for the U23 discus standard.
On Monday the Dr. O'Callaghan Cup is being held in Wexford, everything from U16 to O70. Organisers are trying to get a permit for that as well as DMP and a few surrounding clubs have some athletes looking for the Junior marks in hammer and discus, with a lack of permitted competitions a few athletes have already had to start traveling to Scotland etc to hunt qualifying marks.
Thanks from:
21-04-2011, 06:34   #42
RoyMcC

Thanks SR, we'll rely on you reporting back with the highlights next week.

It's only the dedicated throwers that will have trained through the winter and they'll get their rewards now the season's here. So much more pleasant to be in the circle or on the runway with the sun shining. I was coaching a bit of hammer on Tuesday evening and sudenly the cage was surrounded - 'can we have a go at that?' Long may it continue.
21-04-2011, 16:21   #43
RoyMcC

Not much Irish connection here but the throwers might like this (and we're winding down for the long weekend.)

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okaye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent. Most of his throws were slamming into the cage but he eventually nailed one. It was with the senior 2kg weight and it went a mile. Unusually their coach (John Hillier) called for a measure - fortunately the discus had left a nice mark on landing. It was 64 metres which, in competition, would have put him top of the GB senior rankings for 2010.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.
21-04-2011, 17:40   #44
zico10

Quote:
Not much Irish connection here but the throwers might like this (and we're winding down for the long weekend.)

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okaye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent. Most of his throws were slamming into the cage but he eventually nailed one. It was with the senior 2kg weight and it went a mile. Unusually their coach (John Hillier) called for a measure - fortunately the discus had left a nice mark on landing. It was 64 metres which, in competition, would have put him top of the GB senior rankings for 2010.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.
A mile = 1,609.344 metres. You need to brush up on either your imperial or metric measurements, I'm not sure which.
Sorry I'm not working these days and I've too much time on my hands.
Thanks from:
23-04-2011, 14:38   #45
stupidrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico10 View Post
A mile = 1,609.344 metres. You need to brush up on either your imperial or metric measurements, I'm not sure which.
Sorry I'm not working these days and I've too much time on my hands.
At first I thought zico10 was just trolling when I saw that all their recent posts are in distance running threads. But then I thought if they really are from a distance background they probably don't know what a discus is ("is that the ball with the wire coming out of it or is that the short puck?") As such they probably don't understand how ridiculous it would be for a discus to go 1,609m and then became confused by a 1,545m discrepancy so we shouldn't be too harsh.
You do need to brush up on your rhetoric though and learn about analogy. "He threw a mile" is the same as "He drove from the starting blocks" (he didn't actually get into a car and drive to the 100m finish line) or "he flew around the last lap" (he didn't actually grow wings, lift off the ground and fly over the heads of the other runners)
And of course, welcome to the throws thread!

That is very, very impressive throwing RoyMcC! What's the technique like and how old is he?

Kerry Easter Open started with blistering heat (doesn't mean people actually broke out in blisters, just that it was warm) and ended with the place half flooded (doesn't mean...never mind).
Claire threw 44m in the discus, Dan Clifford won the discus at 44m and shot at 13.77m, senior men's hammer won at 52.36m, Rachel and Alice Akers were at 51-52m with their respective weights in the hammer, I didn't see much more, results should be up on one of the Kerry sites by today or tomorrow.

Numbers are low but a few top athletes coming for the Dr. O'Callaghan on Monday. This is a great oppertunity for athletes to get some early season throwing done. If well supported the ITC can grow and put on more competitions, if poorly supported then it will provide less and less. It would be a terrible pity especially to lose the Dr. O'Callaghan competition from the program so if anyone can make it down to Wexford on Monday there is an event for almost everyone. Look for Irish Throwers Club on Facebook, support greatly appriciated!

Last edited by stupidrobot; 23-04-2011 at 14:55.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion