Has anyone had treatment for Dupuytren's contraction ? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-01-2011, 10:23   #1
Rigsby
Registered User
 
Rigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,611
Has anyone had treatment for Dupuytren's contraction ?

I have being doing some research on the net into treatment for this. Seemingly there is a treatment called "Xiaflex" which is an alternative to surgery. A substance is injected which dissolves the "knot". Basically I can live with this condition, but as I play guitar in a band, to be rid of it, or have the contraction reduced, could only be a good thing. Did anyone ever have the above treatment, or if you had surgery, how long was it before the hand healed ?
Rigsby is offline  
Advertisement
30-01-2011, 17:35   #2
drfrank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33
Its a collagenase injection, which dissolves the band. To date it is unlicensed in Ireland. The surgery can vary depending on the severity of the disease and can take anything from a couple of days to get back to normal to a couple of weeks.

Make sure you are being operated on by a surgeon who does lots of these cases, mainly plastic surgeons and some orthopaedic surgeons who have an interest in hand surgery.
drfrank is offline  
31-01-2011, 10:03   #3
Rigsby
Registered User
 
Rigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
Its a collagenase injection, which dissolves the band. To date it is unlicensed in Ireland. The surgery can vary depending on the severity of the disease and can take anything from a couple of days to get back to normal to a couple of weeks.

Make sure you are being operated on by a surgeon who does lots of these cases, mainly plastic surgeons and some orthopaedic surgeons who have an interest in hand surgery.
Thanks for that drfrank ! I was curious as to if it was available in Ireland. It seems to be a lot better than surgery. So, if I want to do anything about it, I guess the latter is my only option.
Rigsby is offline  
31-01-2011, 22:00   #4
genie
Registered User
 
genie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Up a mountain
Posts: 962
My Mum has had surgery (in England, where she lives) to correct this. It had to be surgery because it was very advanced (she had kept putting it off) and her ring finger and little fingers were almost touching her palms.

She had her left hand done first early last year and the bandages and stitches were removed after one week. The removal of the stitches was quite painful she said, because they were tight, but overall she said that there was very little pain and the scar healed very quickly.

Her right hand was done in October of last year. The right hand seems to have healed better than the left, which still has a bit of a raised scar, but full power has still not returned to her right hand.

The condition runs in Mum's family, who are Dutch, of Scandanavian origin and I've read that this condition is common in people with this ancestry. My grandfather had it and one of my Mum's sisters had it, too, but she had it dealt with far sooner than my Mum.

Get it seen to sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps!
genie is offline  
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 19:11   #5
Rigsby
Registered User
 
Rigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
Its a collagenase injection, which dissolves the band. To date it is unlicensed in Ireland.
I am reviving this thread, wondering in the intervening fourteen months, has this treatment become available in Ireland ?
Rigsby is offline  
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 10:30   #6
Katy89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 114
I have this strange dupuy...whatever as well and went to 2 different doctors last year. nobody told me of this possibility you interested in.
they were all recommending an operation. and this is in germany, health system is quite advanced here.

so I don't know, but I wouldn't do something which isn't tested and approved already.
also, they told me, even after an operation it's quite likely that it's reappearing and so have another operation sooner or later. so they told me to have the operation when the finger is roughly angled of 30 degree.

I know you play guitar and want to get rid of it at all, just wanted to give you the general infos which I got from 2 professional hand surgeons about it.
Katy89 is offline  
01-04-2012, 14:05   #7
Rigsby
Registered User
 
Rigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy89 View Post
I have this strange dupuy...whatever as well and went to 2 different doctors last year. nobody told me of this possibility you interested in.
they were all recommending an operation. and this is in germany, health system is quite advanced here.

so I don't know, but I wouldn't do something which isn't tested and approved already.
also, they told me, even after an operation it's quite likely that it's reappearing and so have another operation sooner or later. so they told me to have the operation when the finger is roughly angled of 30 degree.

I know you play guitar and want to get rid of it at all, just wanted to give you the general infos which I got from 2 professional hand surgeons about it.

Thanks for that. What renewed my interest in this particular treatment was a health programme I watched the other evening called "Embarrassing Bodies" ( ). It is a U.K. programme. So it is obviously available there. The procedure seemed quick and simple. The patient got an injection, then his hand was bandaged up. It did not show how long it was before the bandage came off, but from my research, I think it is around twenty four hours.

Seems almost too good to be true does n't it ?
Rigsby is offline  
02-04-2012, 20:37   #8
Katy89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 114
sounds interesting and definately worth investigating. I'm just the type who's a bit cautious with things which are not used that long and therefore there's not that much experience with it.

I remember, there's another treatment where are needles put into the affected area to destroy it. I ask the doctors about that as well, but they weren't recommending it.
it's really hard to say, I have to trust the doctors although nobody knows if they maybe recommend secretly the treatment which is most lucrative for them.....I don't know, it's a strange thing anyway, isn't it?
and they say it's genetic, but nobody else in my family has it
Katy89 is offline  
03-04-2012, 09:22   #9
Rigsby
Registered User
 
Rigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy89 View Post

I remember, there's another treatment where are needles put into the affected area to destroy it. I ask the doctors about that as well, but they weren't recommending it. (
This treatment sounds similar to what you say. A substance is injected into the "knot" and it breaks down the tissue.
Rigsby is offline  
Advertisement
06-04-2012, 15:02   #10
Katy89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 114
it was more that there's a fine (or more than one) needle which 'pokes' into the area very often to destroy the knot and the strained cord.
Katy89 is offline  
23-07-2012, 12:12   #11
DrTony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dupuytrens information

There are options outside of surgery for this Dupuytrens condition. However, hand surgeons in Ireland do not seem to offer any treatment beyond waiting for finger contraction and then doing conventional surgery.

The NA (Needle Aponeurotomy) threatment is widely available in the UK. See this site for really good information on the Dupuytrens condition:

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/

In the above site go to the 'Treatments' tab and then look at NA - and then a list of UK doctors and clinics that offer the service.

Does anybody know of a clinic in Ireland that offers this service?

Note - Dupuytrens is a common condition in Ireland (of Celtic and Viking decent) with some 20% of people over the age of 50 showing symptoms of the condition. However, it is amazing that we hear so little about this condition.
 
01-08-2012, 20:36   #12
drfrank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTony View Post
There are options outside of surgery for this Dupuytrens condition. However, hand surgeons in Ireland do not seem to offer any treatment beyond waiting for finger contraction and then doing conventional surgery.

The NA (Needle Aponeurotomy) threatment is widely available in the UK. See this site for really good information on the Dupuytrens condition:

http://www.dupuytren-online.info/

In the above site go to the 'Treatments' tab and then look at NA - and then a list of UK doctors and clinics that offer the service.

Does anybody know of a clinic in Ireland that offers this service?

Note - Dupuytrens is a common condition in Ireland (of Celtic and Viking decent) with some 20% of people over the age of 50 showing symptoms of the condition. However, it is amazing that we hear so little about this condition.
Not sure if DrTony works in Ireland or if he/she has any medical background???
All decent hand surgeons could offer this very simple treatment !
Needle fasciotomy/cordotomy can be very effective and was popularised in France. It is only suitable for the most 'basic' of disease as it simply cuts the cord as opposed to removing it.

Compared to fasciectomy (removal of the cord), needle fasciotomy is short lived and as such longterm results are disappointing.
However, that is not to say that it has no role in the treatment of the disease. Any surgeon you see should explain all the options available !!
drfrank is offline  
13-09-2012, 13:08   #13
ChuckDCU
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dupuytren's comment

Dr. Frank said - more or less - that any hand surgeon can do NA (Needle Aponeurtomy) for a hand with a Dupuytren's condition. This is a needle treatment that can break the cords without resorting to more invasive surgery. However, I have asked my surgeon in Dublin about this and she assured me that no surgeon in Ireland will do this - as this is a procedure which is common in France only. The only solution in Ireland is conventional surgery on the hand.

Charlie.
 
20-10-2012, 11:34   #14
ChuckDCU
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dupuytrens

Yes - in fact I found out that there are some doctors in ireland that do less invasive treatment for Dupuytrens hand condition. For example Dr. Kieran O'Shea in St. James and Dr. Colin Riordan in the Blackrock.

Charlie
 
01-02-2013, 09:59   #15
Clancy7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Coming to this question late so not sure if this helps...I had the needle aponeurotomy procedure done in Paris.
No problems. a simple 15 minute procedure. Definitely recommend it instead of surgery.
Clancy7 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet