Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2011, 23:46   #1
x in the city
Banned

Cork to Dublin

3 tolls, Km's of Motorway, lots of rest places (as in tarmac)

but zero filling stations, coffee shops, toilets, eateries...

is Ireland so prehistoric like this.. its 2011.

There would be $$$$$ to be made from anyone to open at least 2 huge outlets on that route
Advertisement
11-01-2011, 23:49   #2
Rodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x in the city View Post

There would be $$$$$ to be made from anyone to open at least 2 huge outlets on that route
how far is urlingford off that motorway? a mile?
and before the third toll, i presume the m50, there are petrol stations off the naas rd
And as for prehistoric? that would be when the journey took 5-6 hours, stuck behind tractors and passing through every village along the way.
Now? Not one single village to pass through on the way.
And what do you want coffee shops and 'eateries' for?
Its only two hours!!!
11-01-2011, 23:49   #3
si_guru

Quote:

Did Limerick to Dublin to Tralee on saturday - couldn't agree more!

FYI best stop currently is Roscrae - 2mins from M7 to Macdonald's or Centra - free toilet.
11-01-2011, 23:50   #4
squod
Closed Account

Look on the bright side. At least when you arrive in NAAS you're too fucking tired to bother to holler abuse at the idiots hogging the ''fast'' lane.
11-01-2011, 23:52   #5
si_guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by squod View Post
Look on the bright side. At least when you arrive in NAAS you're too fucking tired to bother to holler abuse at the idiots hogging the ''fast'' lane.
Thank you! I was thinking it was me being paranoid. There are 4 lanes too in places and they sit there in #3.
Advertisement
11-01-2011, 23:53   #6
EPM
Closed Account

Not really IMO. You can stop in portlaoise if you must but realistically it's a two and a little bit hour journey for most and if you start off with an empty tank you're brain dead. There's plenty of rest areas and a bottle of water will hold for a couple of hours I'm sure and if you're badly caught for a pdiddy either turn off or go in a rest area. Not ideal but...
11-01-2011, 23:56   #7
biko
Percolator

At least there's one Applegreen on the Galway-Dublin road.
12-01-2011, 00:12   #8
tommyhaas
Closed Account

Quote:

There's only 2 tolls if your going city centre to city centre, and there's about 250 petrol stations on the naas road, there's plenty of exits on the motorway with petrol stations (Johnstown, Littleton etc) close by, there's fcuk all traffic until you get to the Jack Lynch tunnel, I dont see what the problem is. I usually go off at Twomileborris, go to the petrol station, then go back on at the next junction, only about 10km down the road. Good to have a break from the motorway driving anyway

Johnstown in particular is good, the apple green there you get some food. At least by not having the UK style service stations it allows the smaller stations to stay in business

And its not like you have to use the toll roads. If things are that tight you can always go through Abbeyleix and Fermoy. If you want to avoid the M50 toll, well Dublin City is still open to traffic, turn off at Finglas or Blanch and head to the Naas road via Drimnagh

The Cork Dublin drive time has reduced dramatically in the last 6 or 7 years, I think its well work the €3.80
12-01-2011, 00:13   #9
x in the city
Banned

for any travellers coming from UK, Europe or the states is stinks of backward Irishness

come on now, lets get onto this exit and go to ballytwotownshandy and look for a toilet and some food...and about 30 mins later and maybe a bust suspension, buckled alloy, a near miss with a massey you might, just might have found a big mac and a toilet

of course most Irish accept it for what it is, you should NOT have to veer off a motorway into other towns for a piss, or some grub, or some petrol for that bad ass V6 you have under the bonnet.
Advertisement
12-01-2011, 00:15   #10
x in the city
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhaas View Post
There's only 2 tolls if your going city centre to city centre, and there's about 250 petrol stations on the naas road, there's plenty of exits on the motorway with petrol stations (Johnstown, Littleton etc) close by, there's fcuk all traffic until you get to the Jack Lynch tunnel, I dont see what the problem is. I usually go off at Twomileborris, go to the petrol station, then go back on at the next junction, only about 10km down the road. Good to have a break from the motorway driving anyway

Johnstown in particular is good, the apple green there you get some food. At least by not having the UK style service stations it allows the smaller stations to stay in business

And its not like you have to use the toll roads. If things are that tight you can always go through Abbeyleix and Fermoy. If you want to avoid the M50 toll, well Dublin City is still open to traffic, turn off at Finglas or Blanch and head to the Naas road via Drimnagh

The Cork Dublin drive time has reduced dramatically in the last 6 or 7 years, I think its well work the €3.80
€5.5 tbh
12-01-2011, 00:16   #11
x in the city
Banned

Quote:

we know that dublin has loads of filling stations, try get your ass to cork or limerick and drive up on motorways to naas and see how it goes
12-01-2011, 00:26   #12
tommyhaas
Closed Account

Quote:
we know that dublin has loads of filling stations, try get your ass to cork or limerick and drive up on motorways to naas and see how it goes
Well it would be pretty difficult to do the Cork Dublin drive without having been in Cork first

My point was that there are service stations near the motorway exits, even before you come on at the Jack Lynch tunnel, there's a petrol station on the Lower Glanmire Road if your coming from the City, and at least one off each of the two junctions on the South Ring Rd prior to the tunnel
Thanks from:
12-01-2011, 00:28   #13
bladebrew

totally agree, i left cork on x-mas eve to go to north dublin, due to the weather my 3 hour journey went to 4.5 hours,
i stopped at the useless small garage on the naas road and they dont have a toilet, i have no idea what the grumpy guy behind the counter did when a toilet break was needed

leaving the motorway wasnt really an option considering most of the country was buried in snow,

Last edited by bladebrew; 12-01-2011 at 00:30.
12-01-2011, 00:38   #14
tommyhaas
Closed Account

Quote:
€5.5 tbh
Thats if you use the M50 toll. Anyway, you're not being forced to use these toll roads, there are alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladebrew View Post
totally agree, i left cork on x-mas eve to go to north dublin, due to the weather my 3 hour journey went to 4.5 hours,
i stopped at the useless small garage on the naas road and they dont have a toilet, i have no idea what the grumpy guy behind the counter did when a toilet break was needed

leaving the motorway wasnt really an option considering most of the country was buried in snow,
In fairness, the snow is an exception, the country as a whole is totally unprepared

@ bladebrew & x in the city, yea can imagine that would be quiet frustrating. Iv stopped recently at a garage near Abbeyleix, the toilets were disguisting. Facilities of a decent standard definitely need to be provided at service stations
12-01-2011, 00:42   #15
x in the city
Banned

Quote:
Thats if you use the M50 toll. Anyway, you're not being forced to use these toll roads, there are alternatives

In fairness, the snow is an exception, the country as a whole is totally unprepared

@ bladebrew & x in the city, yea can imagine that would be quiet frustrating. Iv stopped recently at a garage near Abbeyleix, the toilets were disguisting. Facilities of a decent standard definitely need to be provided at service stations
Its not using the M50

3 motorways between cork city and the end of the naas one

1.8 x 2 & 1.90

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion