Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2012, 00:10   #871
Savage Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuffins View Post
Did Week 1 Day 2 today.

Significantly easier but still pretty terrible. The heat didn't help either!

Even today, I have no idea how I am going to be able for 90 secs next week, but we'll see when it comes
I did week 1 day 2 last night and found it much harder going than day 1. Especially the first half. I felt quite stiff but much better today (the day after) than I did the day after the first.
I did about 45 mins of indoor football tonight though and now I'm stiff as a board.
Advertisement
05-07-2012, 00:16   #872
MrStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Tyrant View Post
I did week 1 day 2 last night and found it much harder going than day 1. Especially the first half. I felt quite stiff but much better today (the day after) than I did the day after the first.
I did about 45 mins of indoor football tonight though and now I'm stiff as a board.
Are you stretching properly before and after?
05-07-2012, 00:20   #873
Savage Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuffins View Post
Are you stretching properly before and after?
"properly", probably not but I do go through a few stretches before doing the runs.
But I didn't stretch out before the soccer at all, and only barely afterwards. Only myself to blame I suppose.
05-07-2012, 12:17   #874
lolamars29

5k runner

hi all, i have recently started doing a couch to 5k called 5k runner. i am finding it really good, as i never run and have a mental block about it. i am on week 4 now and i am finding it good but it is getting more difficult every day, i did my 2nd 5k on tues where i use the app to do it. got a time of 36 mins which i was happy enough as took 2mins off the 5k from 2 weeks before. glad to see other people are doing this, i can never see me been able to run for all of a 5k tho. maybe if anyone has achieved this they can let me know....
05-07-2012, 12:46   #875
davenewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamars29 View Post
glad to see other people are doing this, i can never see me been able to run for all of a 5k tho. maybe if anyone has achieved this they can let me know....
You need to read some of the previous posts... mine included Keep at it!
Advertisement
05-07-2012, 13:27   #876
lolamars29

oh great thanks!! fair play you have reached your 5k goal!!! fingers crossed i will get there in the next 4 weeks.!! by the way did you lose weight on the scales by anychance?? my legs feel like tree trunks today and very fat...lol maybe its after the 5k on tuesday my muscles are still not use to it.
08-07-2012, 00:19   #877
Savage Tyrant

Week 2 Day 1 done this evening.
It was torture for the first half and I very nearly called it a night but I pushed on and got it done and found a new lease of energy in the second half, still tough going but I got there.
As hard as it was, this evening afterwards is the best I've felt yet.
09-07-2012, 22:51   #878
davenewt

@lolamars29: I lost about 1kg in the 8 weeks of the C25k although I wasn't too focused on weight loss - I figured it would drop naturally as I worked through the sessions.

@Savage Tyrant - Haha, I love the feeling *afterwards* too. During... hmm, not so much
Thanks from:
23-07-2012, 01:15   #879
Savage Tyrant

Week 4 day 1 done today....a 3 min, a 5 min jog, a 3 min jog and another 5 min... I came to a realisation that I LOVE running.
The muscle aches have gone, I day to day feel like I have more energy, I'm losing weight. I even feel more confident oddly.
And when I'm running, it's a "head rest" from other stuff. Just me and my music and sometimes my imagination.
I've quite a long way to go but I'm loving getting there.

Last edited by Savage Tyrant; 23-07-2012 at 01:17.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2012, 20:29   #880
shergar22

Myself and the missus started the C25K yesterday with our first run. Fitness level; low to non-existent and to be fair it's my first time doing any major running since GAA training a decade or so ago. All cycling for me since then. Herself has a good bit of gymwork done over the past few months

Pleasantly surprised by how well I did. Small bit stiff just above the knees, but gone today. Must warm up-down better.

Motivation was simple. Get off my arse. Better eating habits had seen me lose a stone and a half since Christmas, but I needed a goal, so we've targeted a 5k in 8 weeks time.

MrStuffins, keep it up, think of how positive you feel after, and set a medium term target, such as a first 5k. Then use that time and target an improved time for another one a few weeks later.

We're all in the same boat. None of us are Olympians. Our goal is to better ourselves and finish, so pat yourselves on the back for lacing up the trainers and getting out, no matter what level we're at.
Thanks from:
23-07-2012, 20:47   #881
davenewt

Well said shergar. Here, have a sugarlump
Thanks from:
24-07-2012, 10:27   #882
thumper10

just went for my first run in ages yesterday - on the treadmill in the gym, started on week 4 - completed and didnt feel bad for it at all, hurt my ankle ages ago and its now affeting my knee when running, so wrapped it up yesterday and it was ok....

felt great for doing it, so missed my running, great to be back at it, hopefully i'll keep it up
Thanks from:
05-08-2012, 18:59   #883
Savage Tyrant

The dreaded week 5 is done...

Day 2 was an 8 min run, 5 min walk and 8 min run .... The walk part honestly felt like it was in my way and holding me back and when the second run finished on the iPhone program I kept running for an extra 4 mins and felt good.

Day 3 was the dreaded 20 min run with no walking... I felt great doing it and when the program finished I was still a good bit away from the car so I kept running. Almost 26 minutes of continuous jogging and I honestly think I had at least another 5 mins left if I'd gone for it.

I'm ahead of the program most likely due to playing 30 or 40 mins of friendly soccer games for the last 2 weeks and almost an hour of indoor soccer the few weeks previous.

Given that day 3 of week 6 is a 22 min run which I already know I'm capable of, would I be better skipping ahead a week or sticking with the program?
Tomorrows run is 2 x 5min runs and an 8 with walks between and I don't see the point unless someone better clued than me can advise?

Last edited by Savage Tyrant; 05-08-2012 at 20:56.
Thanks from:
06-08-2012, 16:39   #884
Savage Tyrant

Ok, so I threw caution to the wind today...

Felt great before the run, and on the back of doing 25mins 2 days ago, I decided not to use the couch25k app today. Week 6, day 1 looked too easy, and I wasn't too sure where to skip ahead to...
So I set the Runkeeper to update me every 5 mins and decided to run as long as I felt comfortable..... 39 mins and 5.74k was what I ended up doing. The time was SLOW (I'd covered 4.4k in 30mins) but I felt brilliant and really proud of myself.
16-08-2012, 21:23   #885
shergar22

mightly pissed off with meself tonight. Seems like I'm gerting nowhere. Finished week 2 after doing Week 1 twice 'coz I felt I needed it. Week 2 is killing me though.
It's not my legs, plenty of pre- and post-stretching is keeping that at bay.
I'm just seeing no signs of progress and actually feel like I'm going backwards. Struggling for breath at tje end of 90 second runs, diaphgram feels really constricted, getting no satisfaction, no light at the end of the tunnel.
Perhaps it's the fact that I'm doing evening runs or having my dinner beforehand (albeit 3 hours before a run).
Seriously thinking of jacking it in. Can't see the point of going onto week 3 if I'm going nowhere and more importantly aren't getting any sense of satisfaction/enjoyment/achievement out of it .

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion