Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-03-2012, 12:24   #781
Duffryman

Hi folks

Bernso, the 5k I'm going to do on St Patrick's Day is in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, so if you're talking about Dunboyne for something else then it probably doesn't suit you. It's not listed on that Run Ireland calender - it's just a charity fundraiser being run by a GAA club there. I'm involved in our own GAA club here just a few miles out the road, so am going in to support it.

I got the runners afterwards by making a trip to Dublin to head for Runways on Parnell Street (www.runways.ie). Cost me €105 but well worth it and would recommend anybody doing the same if they intend to see out the C25K and keep it up after that.

Finished the progamme myself last week and am stretching it out just a little further now - ran 4.5 miles this morning, for instance. There's a 10k near me at the end of April that I'm aiming for now as well. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck to all still going through the programme itself. Stick with it. Found it a little tough myself at certain stages, but came through it and feel great about it. If it works for me, it can work for everyone else too!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 22:06   #782
Bernso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffryman View Post
Hi folks

Bernso, the 5k I'm going to do on St Patrick's Day is in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, so if you're talking about Dunboyne for something else then it probably doesn't suit you. It's not listed on that Run Ireland calender - it's just a charity fundraiser being run by a GAA club there. I'm involved in our own GAA club here just a few miles out the road, so am going in to support it.

I got the runners afterwards by making a trip to Dublin to head for Runways on Parnell Street (www.runways.ie). Cost me €105 but well worth it and would recommend anybody doing the same if they intend to see out the C25K and keep it up after that.

Finished the progamme myself last week and am stretching it out just a little further now - ran 4.5 miles this morning, for instance. There's a 10k near me at the end of April that I'm aiming for now as well. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck to all still going through the programme itself. Stick with it. Found it a little tough myself at certain stages, but came through it and feel great about it. If it works for me, it can work for everyone else too!
Thanks a mill and best of luck on your journey
One question, did that running shop get you to run on a treadmill and check your gait/ foot style when running etc? I know the shop in Bray does this. Cheers
09-03-2012, 08:32   #783
thumper10

can i just ask a question.....do you run on your heels or ball of the foot, when landing, been told you should be on the ball of your foot, to lesson the impact...been advised to check out CHI running... anyone done it or do you run on the heel???
09-03-2012, 12:42   #784
Duffryman

Bernso - yup, there was the treadmill thing there all right, that's what attracted me to them in the first place having seen them mentioned elsewhere already. Ran first in bare feet and then with five different pairs before both the guy there and myself were happy that we'd found a pair to suit. Much better thank picking up a pair more or less at random from an ordinary sports shop, which is basically what I'd done in the past.

Now a question for you - what's the shop in Bray? I didn't know there was one there. If I had done, I may well have gone there instead, as it's closer to me. Would be handy to know about for future reference.
09-03-2012, 13:33   #785
MLC_biker

The shop in Bray is Amphibian King, top of Dargle Road near LIDL. I got my runners there. After gait analysis the staff picked 2 or 3 pairs of suitable shoes, I was able to try them all and bought what felt best for me. There's also runways on Parnell St D1 . BTW I have no connection to either shop
Advertisement
09-03-2012, 13:41   #786
MLC_biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy12 View Post
Hiya, I'm on week 3 of c25k runningmate. I am doing the 3 runs per week but I feel I need to do more to loose weight / tone up.can anyone recommend what I can be doing in another couple of gym visits?
Weight loss happens at lower intensity, if you're running as fast as you can it'll burn musle energy insted of fat. See 'Fat Burning Zone' article on http://www.brianmac.co.uk/ , site has lots of good info

Good luck. I'm on Week 7 - 25 minute run , listening to my music , having repeated one or two weeks at the start (Jan)
11-03-2012, 13:43   #787
mpdg

Hi, I have just started c25k this week and would like to join the thread. I finished Day 2 today and am feeling great. I have been mostly doing runs around my college and the park beside it - some of the other people who run in the park are unbelievably fit. Inspiration for the future!
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 22:58   #788
snoopy12

Cheers MLC_biker.
I missed almost a week and just did a wk 3 jog tonight and it went fine... It's funny as I was a wheezing mess at the official end of my week 3 and tonight's was grand. Best of luck with wk 7 - I have nothing but admiration for anyone at that stage. Seems like a distant dream at the moment but I have committed myself to a 5 k in a few months so that will hopefully keep me going!
12-03-2012, 08:43   #789
thumper10

went for my run this morning, did w8d1 instead of w7d1, but it was fine...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 04:50   #790
mpdg

Finished Week 1 yesterday - the running was a good bit easier to do today I think than it had been for Day 1 or 2. I did have to stop for a little bit to catch my breath though - I was breathing too shallowly while running and felt a bit woozy. Some rest and water helped that though!

I have been using the zenlabs C25K android app to cut into my music to tell me when to start running/walking. I find it great. I've also started bringing my phone out with me because it has a runtastic app on it which records your speed, distance, area covered etc.

I'm actually looking forward to running longer on Friday...God help us all.
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 13:38   #791
MLC_biker

Week 8...and a half

Monday 3.02 miles in 31:22, today 3.08 miles in 30:46. Nearly there ! Signed up for Run with Ray 5k (Good Friday) and Docklands 5k (May) and 8k (June), money spent so I WILL be there
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 13:43   #792
Jackalvano

I haven't tried it before, but intending to do it as sooooooon
14-03-2012, 14:21   #793
Bernso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffryman View Post
Now a question for you - what's the shop in Bray? I didn't know there was one there. If I had done, I may well have gone there instead, as it's closer to me. Would be handy to know about for future reference.
The shop in Bray is Amphibian King (as mentioned).
I've not been but my friend who is a seasoned runner swears by them it sounds exactly like Parnell street in terms of the assessment though so I reckon i'll give there a go.
Thanks again
18-03-2012, 16:36   #794
mpdg

I couldn't get out on Friday because of college work so I doubled up yesterday and today. Got on well in both of them - I keep nearly mowing down elderly couples who are out walking though, which isn't the best
26-03-2012, 11:54   #795
thumper10

havent run in nearly 2 weeks, was away and went for a lovely run, in muckross gardens....since then i've been sick, still not mended, so taking another few days off, but hopefully by the weekend/midweek be back to it, might go back to week 7 though

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion