Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2011, 21:11   #76
maria74

love those purple snacks ...an understated snack!
Advertisement
15-01-2011, 00:01   #77
Emer911

Best of luck tomorrow. Sounds like there's a good gang going, so it should be a bit of crack. I'll be thinking of ye all on my nice slow easy 9 miles LSR
Thanks from:
16-01-2011, 10:40   #78
claralara

Waterford HM - Saturday 15th Jan 2011

Cheers for the well wishes lads - I'm afraid I haven't brought a wonderful glowing report home but I'm just about in one piece so that's all that matters...

Mile Pace
1 8.54
2 8.45
3 9.02
4 9.28
5 9.08
6 9.30
7 9.04
8 8.59
9 9.37
10 9.26
11 9.08
12 9.04
13 8.58
.14 8.40

Woke up in Waterford to hideous weather conditions so I pressed snooze once or twice or ten times hoping that each time I opened my eyes that the winds would have blown the rain clouds away – not a hope!

In short (because I still haven’t got the energy to engage my brain to write a lengthy or interesting report) it wasn’t my day. Physically, I felt ok (not amazing) but alright. Mentally, it just wasn’t there. I probably went out a little fast but I felt great and was enjoying it for the first 4 miles. Miles 5, 6 and 7 were tough and probably the worst terrain and weather of the race. The 2 hour pacers passed me just over the halfway point and I just got this horrible sinking feeling which remained for pretty much the rest of the race. I managed to stick with them for the downhill mile but my brain had given up on me by the time we turned back towards Waterford. For some reason all I could think about was Connemara and how much worse it was going to be and that was really giving my confidence a battering. The 2 hour pacers were savage though –despite me shouting “I’m not in your group, I’m only out for a run!” they came back and insisted I stick with them at that stage. They were offering people gels and water and to carry jackets – really sound guys so big thanks to Maire and Ian. I even got complimented on my running style – apparently it’s very ‘energy efficient’...I expect that’s a very nice way of saying ‘lazy’ . I knew that once I got to 10 miles it was mostly flat home so I found a bit of something to get me there. I thought the finish line was going to be at the gates to the RSC so I put the foot down with a belt of energy that. And then I realised I had about 300m more to go...Ugh. I could see the seconds counting down on the clock and rounded the last stretch thinking I still had the 2 hours but the wind hit me like a truck at the turn and I knew it was game over.

Garmin Summary: 13.14miles - 2.00.19

Met up for a few drinks with Menoscemo, RK, Ainman, Brianderunner, and jcsmum after – great running out of the lot of them. Fair play lads! I had one cup of tea / pint of water too many...the drive home was dreadful!

Obviously not the worst time considering the conditions and the fact that this time last year the New Year’s resolution was to do a HM by the end of 2010 but definitely the most mentally trying run I’ve ever done. There were some serious emotions running through me for most of it! Anyway I only expected to be able to run it as a training run so I won’t complain.

Feel alright today – bit of pain in the lower back so I really need to work on the core strength for the longer runs. Gonna join the group for a very easy 5 miles at 1 and then have a good ole stretch in front of the TV for the evening
16-01-2011, 13:15   #79
maria74

Quote:
Originally Posted by claralara View Post
For some reason all I could think about was Connemara and how much worse it was going to be and that was really giving my confidence a battering.

I was having the same feeling yesterday in the run and then my other main thought was..."forget this I am never getting off my couch again! I was quite happy for 35 years never to run, I can go back to that!!"

You did GREAT! Well done on the time.
Thanks from:
16-01-2011, 14:38   #80
Aimman

Sure because you ran through those weather conditions, the other races will be a piece of cake.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2011, 15:29   #81
dublogic

Hey Clara - great post - very inspiring - just came in after my Sunday long run and was feeling sorry for myself - still feeling sorry for myself but good to know there are others out there facing similar challenges (I'm doing con too). Are you looking to do a 3:45?
Thanks from:
16-01-2011, 19:41   #82
Mr Slow

Claralara,

That was a hellish race due to awful conditions, you said your heart wasn't in it and you pulled a 2 hour race out of it? Stop being so hard on yourself.

Everyone finishes their first half wondering how in the name of Jaysus they'll manage to double the distance but you have 12 weeks (that's 3 months) to get there.

You ran a very respectable time in terrible weather, and then went out for 5 miles with us today!
Well done!
(3) thanks from:
16-01-2011, 19:43   #83
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslow View Post
Claralara,

That was a hellish race due to awful conditions, you said your heart wasn't in it and you pulled a 2 hour race out of it? Stop being so hard on yourself.

Everyone finishes their first half wondering how in the name of Jaysus they'll manage to double the distance but you have 12 weeks (that's 3 months) to get there.

You ran a very respectable time in terrible weather, and then went out for 5 miles with us today!
Well done!
You're on form with the good advice these days mrslow
Keep reading them books so
16-01-2011, 19:49   #84
Mr Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoscemo View Post
You're on form with the good advice these days mrslow
Keep reading them books so
It's all the pictures and big spaced out words that's the trick
Advertisement
16-01-2011, 20:07   #85
Emer911

Wow Claralara, for an easy LSR that was some run! Don't be so hard on yourself. Congrats - great time - and in those conditions?! Wow! I'm in awe
You'll breeze through Conn.
Thanks from:
16-01-2011, 22:38   #86
maria74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emer911 View Post
Wow Claralara, for an easy LSR that was some run! Don't be so hard on yourself. Congrats - great time - and in those conditions?! Wow! I'm in awe
+ 1!
And you did 5 miles today!! I can barely move after doing 10K yesterday! WOW!!
Thanks from:
17-01-2011, 08:22   #87
Cabaal
Cat Herding Mod

claralara, I woudn't be too hard on yourself to be honest as you said yourself you were going to do the run as a LSR not a race.

The conditions were awful and still as you said yourself you kept with the 2hr pacers, atleast you know now what you need to work on for Connamara and its better you know this now then on the 11th April.

btw I don't think you were the only one who thought the finish was at the gates of the RSC
17-01-2011, 08:49   #88
RubyK

That was great running clara! Those conditions were terrible, but it will stand to you! Great work
Thanks from:
17-01-2011, 09:38   #89
jcsmum

Oh my God missus, stop being so hard on yourself. Like others said, eventhough you felt your heart wasn't in it, you did a super time. I know that being in a positive mental state is so important so imagine the time you will do when you are in that place.
Well done!
Thanks from:
17-01-2011, 10:55   #90
shazkea
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsmum View Post
Oh my God missus, stop being so hard on yourself. Like others said, eventhough you felt your heart wasn't in it, you did a super time. I know that being in a positive mental state is so important so imagine the time you will do when you are in that place.
Well done!
+1000 on this, that was a great time in horrible conditions. Well done you
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion