M1 Garand? - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2012, 22:01   #46
tac foley

What you CAN have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardennes1944 View Post
god i only wanted a list of the guns i could possibly own and its developed into such a stupid argument. guns can be for sport, just like archery is.
Dear Mr Ardennes - apologies for the late answer, but I've only just found this thread. In the event that you didn't get any of the messages from my pals in the VCRAI, here is a list of ALL the UNRESTRICTED former military rifles and carbines that are currently legal in the Republic of Ireland -

1. EVERY model of .303 British Lee-Enfield ever made - to include the Lee-Metford, the SMLE, the N04, and 5.

2. EVERY model of military Mauser ever made with a calibre less than 8mm [more correctly 7.92x57] - to include Sweden, Argentina, Siam, Persia, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Guatemala and a few more I can't think of right now.

3. The Canadian .280 and .303 Ross.

4. The US Krag in 30-40 Krag.

5. The US Navy Lee in 6mm Lee.

6. Every model of straight-pull Mannlicher-Schoenauer ever made - 6.5x54, 6.5x54R,

7. Every model of Swiss Schmidt-Rubin from the model 1889 on, in 7.5x55 Swiss, and

8. Every version of the revised Furrer-action K31, also in 7.5x55 Swiss.

9. Every model of Japanese service rifle ever made - 6.5 and 7mm Arisaka.

10. Every model of 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant rifle and carbine ever made, by every nation that made or used them - from Tzarist Russia to the end of WW2, Russia and Finland and all the Warsaw Pact nations, too.

11. Every French Lebel in 7.5 Lebel, and MAS in the same calibre.

12. Every model of Mannlicher/Carcano in 7.5 and 6.35mm.

13. US Springfield rifle in 30-06 Srpingfield - all versions, Army and USMC.

I'm sure to have overlooked a few, but then I'm getting old and it's way past my bedtime.

However, here is the list of RESTRICTED firearms that are judged to be classic and vintage enuff to use in the VCRAI -

All single-shot or repetition shot firearms with a calibre of 7.92mm or greater, including ALL German armed forces military issue rifles and carbines.

That's the Mausers taken care of. AFAIK, no other military/classic firearm of the kind that is PRESENTLY permitted in the RoI has a greater calibre - the gigantic pre-smokeless powder world has yet to open out to you.

So, what are we left with?

1. The M1 Garand 30-06, semi-auto.

2. The M1 carbine .30 cal., semi-auto.

3. The Russian SKS in 7.62x39 and its variants - all semi-auto.

4. The Swedish Ljungmann in 6.5x55 SE, semi-auto.

5. The M1A in 7.62x51 by Beretta of Italy, semi-auto.

No doubt there are a few more, but I'm certain you get the picture. More modern semi-auto firearms ARE permitted, but they are rare. I'm concentrating on those that are readily available - more or less - in the RoI.

If you want to know any more about this kind of shooting, get in touch with one of us in the VCRAI - we are more than happy to bend your ear all day long about our guns and why they are so great [and cheap].

tac
www.vcrai.com
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 16:31   #47
Ardennes1944

only just saw your great,informative reply sir i thank you! certainly clears up things for me

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion