Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with translation

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am getting this tattoo but I would like to make sure I have it correctly spelled: oth aon rud sa saol = Regret nothing in life. Any help would be fantastic.

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Better off asking in an irish forum tbh.

My irish is basic and I can tell you the above is wrong. Oth isn't a verb for a start (afaik)

so it should at least be Is oth aon rud sa saol,
    then I think aon rud is anything, rud are bit is nothing so, "Is oth rud ar bith sa saol"

But like I said, get somebody on the irish forum to have a look, the above are just two observation from me, because I don't think what you posted is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Why get an Irish tattoo if you don't speak Irish???

I've never heard of oth

Regret is aiféala

So it could be something like "With no regret in my life"

Gan aiféala i mo shaol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I agree with this.

I've never heard of oth

Regret is aiféala

So it could be something like "With no regret in my life"

Gan aiféala i mo shaol
    I've heard "oth" being used but I can't remember the context so I've no idea what it translates to in English.
    I would change cherub rock's translation slightly to "Gan aiféala sa saol".
    Either way, the OP should get a more concrete translation before getting the tattoo. I'm sure they don't want to end up with something spelt and translated wrong like this person:
    200702230939-pix1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Don't see why the OP can't get an Irish tattoo regardless if they speak it or not. I'm sure they have some basic Irish just not fluent in it.

The OP is most likely Irish and Irish is the first language of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Don't see why the OP can't get an Irish tattoo regardless if they speak it or not. I'm sure they have some basic Irish just not fluent in it.

The OP is most likely Irish and Irish is the first language of this country.

Still not a great idea if they don't know how to translate it themselves, as they could get something that looks like it could be right, but is actually grammatically way off. Like the "Drug'ail saor" example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Don't see why the OP can't get an Irish tattoo regardless if they speak it or not.
    Nobody has said the OP can't get a tattoo with Irish text in it. If the OP doesn't actually know the language then they might as well get a tattoo in Klingon or Kanji for all the relevance it has to them.
    Still not a great idea if they don't know how to translate it themselves, as they could get something that looks like it could be right, but is actually grammatically way off. Like the "Drug'ail saor" example.
    Exactly. The difference in meaning between "Free from Drugs" and "Free Drugs" is quite a lot :).

Advertisement