Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-03-2012, 16:09   #1486
marco_polo
Moderator
 
marco_polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dublin (Clare)
Posts: 9,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiminay View Post
I haven't been able to play and that's annoying. Maybe someone here can help...

I don't currently have a DVD drive in my PC because I needed it for another machine. Figured I could just drop in the CD key into Origin and it'd go and download it. However, Origin doesn't seem to think this is a valid key. Do I need to install form disk for the key to work?

I'd no problem popping in a Key from G2Play (which G2P almost always supply from boxed retail versions AFAIK) and downloading it straight away.

To the best of my knowledge any EA key from any source, Digital/Retail etc, is supposed to be usable with Origin (With the exception that older pre 2009 games are a bit hit and miss and may require support assistance to add properly).

I'd say possible you were unlucky enough to get a key from a batch that wasn't uploaded to their authentication servers or something like that and are looking at a support ticket to resolve .


EDIT: Apparently this link will add games manually to Origin, according to this thread on the Bioware forums.

Last edited by marco_polo; 13-03-2012 at 16:56.
marco_polo is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 17:31   #1487
Cina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Anyone else thing ME3 is getting way more praise in the media than it really deserves? I don't mean the crap ending or the over the top review scores we all know are paid for but more the fact its not a very polished game for a big AAA title.

The graphics are fine but nothing amazing.

The gameplay is not only more linear than ME 1&2 but also alot simpler which after ME2 I didn't think they could dumb down any more.

The character animations (Shepard running) and lip synching are worse than ME2.

Even going by metacritic PC user reviews you can see there is something rotten going on

ME1
Critics 89
User 8.5

ME2
Critics 94
Users 8.6

ME3
Critics 93
Users 3.5
I think it's brilliant, personally. My only real flaws are the sidequests, namely the Citadel and it's overheard conversations where you go and get stuff for them. Really pointless.

The combat has massively improved and the sheer scope of dialogue and interaction based on decisions you made, and characters that survived in ME2 and ME1 is staggering really.

I wouldn't take the Metacritic stuff seriously, it's mostly from users who can't stand EA and are p*ssed at the whole DLC and Origin situations, I doubt most of them actually dislike the game at all.
Cina is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 18:25   #1488
Venom
Registered User
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 4,222
Send a message via ICQ to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
I think it's brilliant, personally. My only real flaws are the sidequests, namely the Citadel and it's overheard conversations where you go and get stuff for them. Really pointless.

The combat has massively improved and the sheer scope of dialogue and interaction based on decisions you made, and characters that survived in ME2 and ME1 is staggering really.

I wouldn't take the Metacritic stuff seriously, it's mostly from users who can't stand EA and are p*ssed at the whole DLC and Origin situations, I doubt most of them actually dislike the game at all.
Don't get me wrong its not a bad game by any means, I just don't think its even close to the 9/10 or 10/10 scores its been getting. Both Arkam City and Skyrim were true AAA titles but ME3 is just not near polished enough to be in the same league imho.

While the combat has improved hugely the RPG side of the game has become very basic. The size of the game has also gotten a lot smaller as well with most of the side quests being nothing more than scan a planet or sector.

If the metacritic scores were just people hating on EA why is the ME2 score not low? If you read the negative reviews a great deal of them are very well written and do make valid points.
Venom is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 18:31   #1489
Cina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 684
You lost me there when you said Skyrim was polished. One of the most ludicrously buggy releases of a big game ever.

It's just as good as ME2, for me anyway. For some reason lately people are just hating Bioware, because of the dumbed down stuff they've been doing like DA2 and TOR, as well as the very negative influence EA are having on them.
Cina is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 18:41   #1490
Venom
Registered User
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 4,222
Send a message via ICQ to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
You lost me there when you said Skyrim was polished. One of the most ludicrously buggy releases of a big game ever.

It's just as good as ME2, for me anyway. For some reason lately people are just hating Bioware, because of the dumbed down stuff they've been doing like DA2 and TOR, as well as the very negative influence EA are having on them.
I encountered one bug in the PC version of Skyrim which was a bugged minor side quest. It was the only issue I had and the rest of the game ran like a dream for me and looked amazing.

ME3 looks kinda dated tbh. Load up ME2 and the graphics are not much worse but the animations and lip sych of the characters looks much better. EA still have the most basic moral system for player choices which is either pure as driven snow or out and out bastard.
Venom is offline  
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 18:49   #1491
boneyarsebogman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Final Front Ear
Posts: 18,761
Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Apparently ME3 was given low ratings on metacritic because of the gay character that is featured and because supposedly Sheppard can romance a guy.
boneyarsebogman is offline  
13-03-2012, 19:20   #1492
Notorioux
Registered User
 
Notorioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Naas
Posts: 487
Spoilers

Last edited by Retr0gamer; 17-03-2012 at 19:04.
Notorioux is offline  
(4) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 20:11   #1493
johnners2981
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Anyone having trouble finding a game in multiplayer on pc, haven't been able to play one game.
And my summary of this game, terrible rpg, decent game
johnners2981 is offline  
13-03-2012, 20:31   #1494
sheehy83
Registered User
 
sheehy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,911
Holy f#ckballs!

Last edited by Retr0gamer; 17-03-2012 at 19:04.
sheehy83 is offline  
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 21:34   #1495
Shiminay
Moderator
 
Shiminay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: At the Gate!
Posts: 18,829
Send a message via MSN to Shiminay Send a message via Skype™ to Shiminay
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_polo View Post
EDIT: Apparently this link will add games manually to Origin, according to this thread on the Bioware forums.
Many thanks for the assistance, unfortunately it didn't sort my issue.

I shall just contact the folks who sent it to me and get it sorted tomorrow. These things happen
Shiminay is offline  
13-03-2012, 21:57   #1496
humanji
Moderator
 
humanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: with ceiling cat
Posts: 15,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Don't get me wrong its not a bad game by any means, I just don't think its even close to the 9/10 or 10/10 scores its been getting. Both Arkam City and Skyrim were true AAA titles but ME3 is just not near polished enough to be in the same league imho.

While the combat has improved hugely the RPG side of the game has become very basic. The size of the game has also gotten a lot smaller as well with most of the side quests being nothing more than scan a planet or sector.

If the metacritic scores were just people hating on EA why is the ME2 score not low? If you read the negative reviews a great deal of them are very well written and do make valid points.
I fully agree with you here. As I said earlier, I'm really enjoying the game but it's not something I'll give a second thought to once I'm finished. It's a terrible thing to say about something which people have obviously worked hard to create, but I can't help but get the feeling that they knew the game would be a success, so they didn't put their heart into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
For some reason lately people are just hating Bioware, because of the dumbed down stuff they've been doing like DA2 and TOR, as well as the very negative influence EA are having on them.
Are those not perfectly valid reasons for hating the current incarnation of Bioware?
humanji is offline  
14-03-2012, 01:06   #1497
Kiith
Moderator
 
Kiith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 11,585
Loved the game (multiplayer and all) but hated the ending. Wrote way too much on the ending thread.

That is all
Kiith is offline  
14-03-2012, 03:24   #1498
Mr Blobby
Registered User
 
Mr Blobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Nights Watch
Posts: 2,569
Ok guys i'm wondering if anyone can help me WITHOUT giving any spoilers away.
I just want to know since i dont have my save from mass effect 1 is there any real impact of not having it ?
I have my save from mass effect 2 which i can use. Also is there anything in the game like they did with the PS3 version of mass effect 2 where you could pick what happens ? or any sort of Mod on pc i could you to copy my actions from Mass effect 1 AND 2 over Mass effect 3?
Any help would be great.....But please no Spoilers from ME3
Mr Blobby is offline  
14-03-2012, 04:50   #1499
GTR63
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,466
I've been playing through the 3 Mass Effects lately so I feel I can give a good account of this game. I'm about 12 hrs in and its fairly enjoyable don't get me wrong but there are a lot of parts where I feel Bioware are trying to do something thats mimmicks other games I have played parts that remind me of Gears, Uncharted, Alien & Dead Space & there are a few too many cut scenes particularly early on for my liking. I've braced myself for the ending you'd have to be blind and deaf not to realise its been met with a lot of Anger.
GTR63 is offline  
14-03-2012, 09:14   #1500
humanji
Moderator
 
humanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: with ceiling cat
Posts: 15,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobby360 View Post
Ok guys i'm wondering if anyone can help me WITHOUT giving any spoilers away.
I just want to know since i dont have my save from mass effect 1 is there any real impact of not having it ?
I have my save from mass effect 2 which i can use. Also is there anything in the game like they did with the PS3 version of mass effect 2 where you could pick what happens ? or any sort of Mod on pc i could you to copy my actions from Mass effect 1 AND 2 over Mass effect 3?
Any help would be great.....But please no Spoilers from ME3
You don't import your ME1 save game, (as far as I could tell, anyway) only the ME2 one. They make the odd reference to (Mass Effect 1 Spoiler) Spoiler: either Ashley or Kaiden dying and to some other choices you made. But it's mostly ME2 choices that affect this one.

I gave a link earlier (can't find it now) to an editor that allows you to choose all the options you want for your character. I'll try and find it again.
humanji is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet