History of Ardgillan Castle
A Brief history
The demesne consists of the ancient townlands of Kilmainham, Ardgillan and Baltray. The district was originally controlled by the Gaelic O'Casey family and later the Earl of Tyrconnell. However, the period 1600 - 1700 saw great changes in the pattern of land ownership in Ireland due to the confiscation and redistribution of land after the Cromwellian and Williamite wars (1640's and 1680's respectively).
In 1658 the "Down Survey" records that Ardgillan was owned by a wine merchant, Robert Usher of Crumlin, Dublin and by 1737, the property had been acquired by the Reverend Robert Taylor, one of the Headfort Taylors, whose grand-farther had collaborated with Sir William Petty on the mid 17th Century "Down Survey of Ireland". Ardgillan remained the family home of the Taylors (later changed to Taylour) for more two hundred years until 1962 when the estate was sold to Heinrick Pott of Westphalia, Germany. In 1982 Dublin County Council purchased Ardgillan Demesne and it is now managed by Fingal Council.
Although referred to as a Castle, the residence at Ardgillan is a large country-style house with castellated embellishments. Originally named "Prospect", the central section was built in 1738 by Robert Taylor, with the west and east wings added in the late 1700's.
Initially the site was heavily wooded, the name Ardgillan being derived from the Irish "Ard Choill" meaning High Wood. It was cleared by out-of-service soldiers and itinerant workers in return for one penny a day, sleeping accommodation and one meal.
The house consists of two storeys over a basement which extends out under the lawns on the southern side of the building. When occupied, the ground and first floors were the living accommodation while the west and east wings were servants quarters and estate offices. The basement was the service floor, the kitchen and stores. The castle has now been restored and the ground floor rooms and kitchens are open to visitors for guided tours. Tea-rooms are located off the main reception area and serving light snacks are open in conjunction with the Castle opening times. Upstairs, the former bedrooms are used for classes and exhibitions including a permanent and unique exhibition of the "Down Survey" colour maps and text. Rooms are also available form small group meetings and workshops.
Griffith ’s Valuation is the name widely given to the Primary Valuation of Ireland, a property tax survey carried out in the mid-nineteenth century under the supervision of Sir Richard Griffith. The survey involved the detailed valuation of every taxable piece of agricultural or built property on the island of Ireland and was published county-by-county between the years 1847 and 1864.
The process of valuation was painstakingly thorough, involving multiple visits by valuation teams to analyse all of the factors influencing the economic status of the property: the chemical and geological properties of the land; average rents paid in the area; distance from the nearest market town. The aim was to get as accurate as possible an estimate of the annual income that each property should produce. This is the “Net Annual Value” figure (in £ s d, pounds sterling, shillings and pence) in the far right column of each valuation record. This was then used as the basis for local taxation, and continued up to the 1970s. The local authorities decided on a percentage of the Annual Value to be paid every year and usually expressed as “pennies to the pound”. For example a rate of 3 pennies to the pound meant that someone in possession of property valued as £10 would have to pay 30 pence, or 2/6.
The individual in economic occupation of the property was responsible for payment of the local taxation based on Griffith’s, with one exception: tenants with a holding valued at less than £5 annually were exempt, but their landlord was liable for the tax. This liability was a powerful incentive for landlords to get rid of smaller tenants in any way they could and certainly contributed to the wave of evictions that took place throughout the second half of the nineteenth century.
First of all most of North Co Dublin falls under the Barony of Balrothery which is sub-divided into the Barony of West and East Balrothery. If you check the post about Baldungan castle and knight templers on the history of rush thread for further reading on the barony.
From Chapters of Ireland
THE BARONY OF BALROTHERY
This maritime district, according to the survey and valuation of 1824, comprises 14 parishes subdivided into 174 townlands, and has been assessed to the ancient subsidies as extending over 30,370 arable acres, and 1,699 acres then deemed unprofitable. The  parishes there assigned to it are Lusk, Holmpatrick, Baldungan, Balrothery, Balscadden, Naul, Hollywood, Grallagh, Garristown, Ballymadun, Palmerstown, Westpalstown, Ballyboghill, and Dunabate. In this scope are 12 small towns and 16 villages. The surface of the barony is for the most part level, and the soil productive, resting almost entirely on limestone. it is, however, badly supplied with rivers, and its harbours have not been much improved. Being the most remote from the metropolis it is principally used in tillage.
Ok well parishes existed before the Reformation and after.
A civil parish is an administrative area of civil government in some countries. In general they originate from an ecclesiastical parish of the same name perhaps, in the course of time, to better suit local government, with modified boundaries and, responding to population growth further subdivisions into new civil parishes. Civil parishes are now found in England, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Sweden, the U.S. state of Louisiana, and a number of island nations in the region of the Caribbean
Family Name 1 TAYLOR
Forename 1 AND REV. E.
Family Name 2 In Fee
Barony BALROTHERY, EAST
Townland ARDGILLEN DEMESNE
Place Name ARDGILLEN DEMESNE
Place Type TOWNLAND
A map is provided on the link too.
At the end of the day Ardgillan is still in Fingal.