League 1 + League 2 + BS premier and below! - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-12-2010, 23:54   #16
Mars Bar

Well I like to look out for Watford as I lived there when I was an ickle baby.

Also, Luton Town due to Football Manager! Got them from League 2 to being Premiership Runners up.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2010, 23:56   #17
SantryRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars bar View Post
Well I like to look out for Watford as I lived there when I was an ickle baby.

Also, Luton Town due to Football Manager! Got them from League 2 to being Premiership Runners up.

You're not allowed follow both That's like supporting Birmingham and Villa or United and Pool. So just support Watford
04-12-2010, 00:04   #18
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantryRed View Post

You're not allowed follow both That's like supporting Birmingham and Villa or United and Pool. So just support Watford
Yeah I know!

I love the press conferences on FM when I'm playing Watford. I had Liam Henderson playing up front for Luton, I had bought him from Watford for 90k, he ended up being worth almost 7 mil!

Watford is where I'm at really.
Thanks from:
04-12-2010, 00:05   #19
JerryHandbag
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinturicchio View Post
Can I ask how or why an Irish person first gets interested in a lower league English team?
Well theres usually some connection, I doubt anyone picks a team at random.

I look out for Luton Towns results because my cousin used to be involved with the youth team, and have a few cousins who are season ticket holders.

They reached FA Cup semi finals in 1994 and was gutted when they lost, they would've played Man United in the final!
Thanks from:
04-12-2010, 00:13   #20
mikemac
Closed Account

I supported Sheffield Wednesday as one of the best games I've ever seen was the 1992/1993 FA Cup semi final against Sheffield United. Steel city derby!
Was just a young lad and getting into football and I didn't have a team at the time, RTE used to show these games

And I went to Hillsborough once

But they weren't a lower league back then, they were well established in the top flight. Bad times these days

Like Cambridge United due to Football Manager, been following since since the late 1990's.
And their website is one of the best league or non-league websites around, great articles on it. I've often spent an hour or two there. May head over and visit some day
Advertisement
04-12-2010, 04:29   #21
Paul Tergat

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingstressed View Post
I always watch the football league show late every Saturday
People should definitely watch this whether its on the night or on the iplayer later. My favourite programme on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinturicchio View Post
Can I ask how or why an Irish person first gets interested in a lower league English team?
Quote:
A lot of people will say it's Championship Manager/Football Manager
It is quite funny but a good bit of it is this. A lot of people look out for Rushden and Diamonds results because in one version of FM/CM they were the team to take from the conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the untitled user View Post
Family, had an uncle who lived in Derby for years, always look out for them.
Family ties is another reason obviously and its nice to see people take an interest in lower league footie. I watch some random conference games when theyre on setanta ireland and get laughed at for doing so....meh, i love football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars bar View Post
Watford is where I'm at really.
At least you picked one

Quote:
I supported Sheffield Wednesday as one of the best games I've ever seen was the 1992/1993 FA Cup semi final against Sheffield United. Steel city derby!
Was just a young lad and getting into football and I didn't have a team at the time, RTE used to show these games
Epic match. They were a big club at the time and seeing them where they are now is a real shame. With the support they can get they will be back in the premiership in the not so distant future.

Yorkshire football ftw
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2010, 04:33   #22
Liam O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferoaks View Post
I'm guessing Stephen Dawson?
Got it in one

kind of preferred it last season and the season before when he was at Bury as it was close to Manchester and had a ticket link if I ever wanted to see United. He got in the League 2 team of the season for the past 2 years and they seem to be warming to him at Orient which is quite a nice (if old) ground that they play in

Last edited by Liam O; 04-12-2010 at 04:36.
Thanks from:
04-12-2010, 10:22   #23
Notorious

Rushden & Diamonds are the one I watch (again, because of CM back in the day). Within 5 seasons they moved from the old Conference to Division 2 and back down to the Conference.

They were the glory days.
Thanks from:
04-12-2010, 11:22   #24
Mr Posh

Nice to see a few lower league fans on here, far to many glory hunters around!

I’m a Peterborough Utd Fan!!!! and never thought I would be out numbered by both Cambridge and Northampton fans in Ireland!!!

Cambridge are having a bit of a shocker this year, I actually miss having Cambridge in the football league,

How’s Leon Mckenzie getting on at Sixfeilds he was one of may favourite Posh players of all time?

Do many of you get over for games?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2010, 11:43   #25
SantryRed

I don't get people in this country at times. I really don't.
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2010, 14:44   #26
Dozen Wicked Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Posh View Post

How’s Leon Mckenzie getting on at Sixfeilds he was one of may favourite Posh players of all time?

Do many of you get over for games?
Posh have been up and down, they started like a steam train and tailed off a bit, a brilliant strike force (I am loathed to admit!!)

Mckenszie has been great when hes fit, not the nicest bloke off the pitch but who cares I suppose. Best striker we have by a mile. I try to get over for 2 or 3 a season if I can.

To answer why follow a lower league team, in my case its because I have most of my family in Northampton and lived there for more than half my life thats why I follow them, practically my home town team.

I used to go to my local LOI team here occassionally, but they gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.

God I feel at home, surrounded by Watford, Luton, Cambridge, P'Boro and Rushden and Diamonds fans. All within an hour of the mighty Cobblers.
04-12-2010, 14:58   #27
mikemac
Closed Account

Who would have thought we'd have rivalry between Peterborough and Cambridge United fans on boards.ie
04-12-2010, 16:34   #28
Mr Posh

We are two leagues above Cambridge these days so our rivalry is stronger with the Wobblers and Franchise FC.

Posh have been punching above there wait for a while but have superb Irish chairman that backs the club, one of our finest managers of all time was Noel Cantwell a Cork man as some of older ones on the boards will remember.

I personally think its no more strange being a Irish fan of a lower league team than being a fan of Man U Chelsea, Man City ETC…… just means you get to experience more downs than up’s which is the reality of being a real fan which any Liverpool or Man U fan will tell you who supported them in the 60’s and 70’s, Most glory hunters seek instant gratification in a football team which in all honesty is false.

If you’re a lower league fan STICK with it and you will get a far more satisfying experience and a feeling of belonging which is hard to beat when the good times role in if only for a season or two!
Thanks from:
04-12-2010, 16:54   #29
Dozen Wicked Words

Cobblers win 2 nil and surge up the league to about 17th!

Swindon beating Wednesday 2 - 1.
04-12-2010, 17:21   #30
SantryRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Posh View Post
I personally think its no more strange being a Irish fan of a lower league team than being a fan of Man U Chelsea, Man City ETC…… just means you get to experience more downs than up’s which is the reality of being a real fan which any Liverpool or Man U fan will tell you who supported them in the 60’s and 70’s, Most glory hunters seek instant gratification in a football team which in all honesty is false.
It's actually clearly more strange. For people who support those clubs they have reasons, such as facilities, exposure, quality of football on the likes. The fact you support a team over the water which offers pretty much the same quality of football as the LOI and the same facilities but you have to cross the water to get it. I find that baffling tbh.

Was just getting my spoke in about it! I don't wanna drag it off to a LOI debate or anything like that, I just find it even more confusing.

For the record, I look out for Watford and get over to a game or two a season because my dad is from there and was a ST holder for 15 years. But Shels will always be my team.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion