Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-11-2010, 20:19   #1
holatrish32

is running best exercise for weight loss

Is running the best cardio exercise for weight loss? I have 3 stone to lose and would also like to get mega fit, also any recommendations on how to get started with the training
Advertisement
20-11-2010, 20:50   #2
kennyb3

TBH for weight loss you ll struggle to beat cycling, you can do it for so many hours assuming you go at the correct speed and if you are heavy you dont have to worry about impact injuries, such as knee injuries. A 3 hour cycle on a saturady morning toghther with 2-3*1hr intense rides during the week and you ll be flying. just be careful not to eat loads extra to compensate when you feel tired. if you do feel hungry eat the right foods
20-11-2010, 21:05   #3
KJL3

Consistent running/jogging over a few months and you'll have no problem losing weight. Consistency is the thing, no point in just 1 or 2 days a week. But important to remember to start low and go slow. If you haven't run before, start by walking 20-30mins 3/4 days a week, gradually increasing the distance, frequency and intensity as the weeks go by. The big mistake is to do too much too soon - your body won't be used to it and you'll just risk getting injured and demoralised. Stick with it though and you'll be amazed at the difference it'll make to you (If you can stay motivated over the winter months). Good luck
20-11-2010, 21:39   #4
Fluorescence
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

The main key to weight loss is your diet. Exercise will do you no good in this regard if you eat too much. I've found running every second day with 3 nice meals a day to work perfectly for me. Good luck
Thanks from:
20-11-2010, 21:43   #5
gerard65
Closed Account

Running is only second to cross-country skiing for weight loss. Cycling comes a bit down the list, but as kennyb3 says its kinder on the joints.
Advertisement
20-11-2010, 21:51   #6
kennyb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard65 View Post
Running is only second to cross-country skiing for weight loss. Cycling comes a bit down the list, but as kennyb3 says its kinder on the joints.
I'd say your talking in terms of calories per hour? but you have to compare how long your average cyclist spends training to your average cyclist runner.

I'd spend up to 15hrs per week training to be cycling fit but only 6 hours or so running.

Last edited by kennyb3; 20-11-2010 at 22:03.
20-11-2010, 22:23   #7
dna_leri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb3 View Post
I'd say your talking in terms of calories per hour? but you have to compare how long your average cyclist spends training to your average cyclist runner.

I'd spend up to 15hrs per week training to be cycling fit but only 6 hours or so running.
That's a good reason to go running so!
20-11-2010, 22:37   #8
gerard65
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb3 View Post

Is 1 hr running equal to 3 - 4 hrs cycling for burning calories? Hence running is more efficent as a weight loss exercise. (Disclaimer - I may be completely wrong about that, scampers off to google it)
20-11-2010, 23:19   #9
kennyb3

Quote:
Is 1 hr running equal to 3 - 4 hrs cycling for burning calories? Hence running is more efficent as a weight loss exercise. (Disclaimer - I may be completely wrong about that, scampers off to google it)
I think 1:4 is the often mentioned ratio of miles run to miles cycled, but not in terms of calories.

http://www.fitpronutrition.com/main.asp?nID=803
Advertisement
20-11-2010, 23:20   #10
kennyb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna_leri View Post
That's a good reason to go running so!
Depend whether you like the wife or not
20-11-2010, 23:28   #11
Arthurdaly

Quote:
yes you are completely wrong!
21-11-2010, 12:37   #12
gerard65
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurdaly View Post
yes you are completely wrong!
Thanks, your comment has been very helpful and amusing

OP you asked where you could start. The 'couch to 5k' program works, here's a link:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
21-11-2010, 12:40   #13
gerard65
Closed Account

'

Last edited by gerard65; 21-11-2010 at 12:41. Reason: Double post
21-11-2010, 13:46   #14
Slogger Jogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by holatrish32 View Post
Is running the best cardio exercise for weight loss? I have 3 stone to lose and would also like to get mega fit, also any recommendations on how to get started with the training
I'm not qualified to say whether its the best or not at losing weight but lose weight you will if you put the training in. In the year when I ran my first marathon I lost more than 3 stone so its definitely achievable. Hardest days are at the start but once you get the willpower sorted and your goals in order you can do it. I've been running regularly since 2004 and my weight is a hungry looking 68 kgs. As for getting started, little by little and build gradually is key. My first slow jogs were probably around 20 mins duration and I built slowly but surely from there. Best of luck.
21-11-2010, 16:09   #15
kennyb3

Can i just add OP that you should do whatever sport you are likely to enjoy most, as you are more likely to stick with it. I love both running and cycling, but not cycling in the winter and hence concentrate fully on running over the winter.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion