Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-10-2010, 15:17   #1
Shenshen

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?
(112) thanks from:
Adiboo, alwaysadub, AnalogueKid, AssaultedPeanut, bb1234567, Big Nasty, BlaasForRafa, bronte, bullets, candy-gal1, Chad ghostal, charlietheminxx, chillywilly, Chuck Stone, CianRyan, Cocolola, coonecb1, Cravez, crfcaio, CucaFace, curlzy, dakan, darced, Das Kitty, degausserxo, demanufactured, Demonique, Denerick, Discodog, dlofnep, dr gonzo, Dudess, elgriff, entropi, e_e, Green Diesel, Greentopia, GreenWolfe, HalloweenJack, Hunter21, JD81, JohnDee, johnmryan, JupiterKid, Karmafaerie, Keptic, Kev_ps3, Kintarō Hattori, kowloon, krudler, LadyHeart, ladypip, lawhec, Lemming, LiamKK1982, mackg, Madam, Magenta, maguic24, Makikomi, Millicent, Mr. K, N64, Nailz, Niall09, NinjaK, nommm, NoQuarter, Nulty, Nuri Sahin, OnTheCouch, PandaX9, Papillon!, PizzamanIRL, previous user, Pride Fighter, Pumpkinseeds, pushkii, Quorum, realies, reap-a-rat, Red Hand, Rheo, Riamfada, Richard Dower, robby^5, Rosedust84, SadieSue, Saila, ScienceNerd, Shane-KornSpace, Smeggy, sotisme, splendid101, starbelgrade, storm2811, Suas11, Sulla Felix, SuperInfinity, Susannahmia, TeddyTedson, The Idyll Race, ToniTuddle, up for anything, Vargulf, Whatsernamex33, xxxJennyxxx, xzanti, youcancallmeal, Zapperzy, Ziegfeldgirl27, _whiskers
Advertisement
24-10-2010, 15:20   #4
JonJoeDali
Banned

I love cats. She's sitting on my lap looking at this post right now

Sometimes she goes after the mouse cursor, which can be quite annoying...
24-10-2010, 15:20   #5
PanchoVilla
Banned

I blame the pope.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-10-2010, 15:20   #6
Schism

Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.
24-10-2010, 15:21   #8
demanufactured

Send a message via Yahoo to demanufactured
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenshen View Post
Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?
It seems to come from farmer folk and boggers who live in the sticks who like to kill everything that moves..

Cats are cool , i have 6 of them
24-10-2010, 15:22   #9
gurramok
Closed Account

They kill birds, thats why. I never hated cats, I just distrusted their loyalty. But since I befriended the neighbours cat, my views of them has been a plus. They are lovely creatures.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-10-2010, 15:22   #10
Pookah

It's possibly a left-over from the prehistoric age when big cats stalked us, manifesting in the hypothalamus part of the brain.

Cat-lovers are therefore more evolved, according to this theory.
24-10-2010, 15:22   #11
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
Some people are morons.
I somehow doubt that the percentage of morons in Ireland is so significantly higher than anywhere else, though.
24-10-2010, 15:23   #12
JohnathanM
Closed Account

Love cats to bits, and the really great thing is you don't have to go looking for them. They just appear when you're catless and worm their way into your life. The new cat we have was living up a tree in the back garden, now it's snoring on my pillow. How do they manage that?
24-10-2010, 15:23   #13
Latchy
Closed Account

It might have something to do with cats being free roaming spirts were as dogs can be trained and more deserving of the title of of mans best friend .Dont own a cat and haven't had one since childhood but I like them
Thanks from:
24-10-2010, 15:23   #14
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.
I thought dogs killed hens?
(3) thanks from:
24-10-2010, 15:24   #15
ScienceNerd

Send a message via MSN to ScienceNerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the domestication of cats in part due to cats ability to catch vermin which was useful around the farm?

Personally I love cats and it pisses me off when people say they hate cats then can't back it up with any logical reason, which happens quite often.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion