140.6 deep breaths... - Page 101 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2012, 12:43   #1501
jackyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambaata View Post
I wouldnt rule out the LD champs next year MCOS. TI don't fill half their spots and im sure you could talk to them. Id be surprised if they didnt let you go.
+1, sure if i can get in.......
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 14:22   #1502
griffin100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyback View Post
+1, sure if i can get in.......
Jaysus they even gave me a spot last year (although there might be more competition for 2013 given the location)
Thanks from:
03-05-2012, 10:37   #1503
shotgunmcos

Late Sessions

Turbo: Aerobic Tempo
90 minutes at 81% FTP average. It was a bit better than last week but still a way to go. I'd like to get to stage where I could hold a sweet spot effort for the 1.5 hours. It was nearly 10pm by the time I got on too. The first 40 mins felt great and I had a super rhythm going. I thought I could hold the tempo comfortably for the duration. I lost my concentration though soon after and took a breather to refocus. I needed 2 more short breathers before the end as I found the going tough. I could have done with some music or smething to distract me from my quads. I even had to dig in a bit for the last 15 minutes. There was literally a pool of sweat on the tiles under the bike for a finish. Solid enough work.
Total 53.8km, average 264w

Short Swim
A simple short swim while Shotgun Junior played wth his dive sticks (He wants to be a deep sea research diver when he grows up!)
600 freestyle, 200 breast stroke, 200 backtroke all easy I then joined him under water.
Total 1,000m

Run/Swim Brick
It wasn't intended as a brick but I missed the morning swim and since booking Barcelona flights, have vowed to try to make every session count. So, I coupled my swim and evening run together. I realy enjoyed the run. There were people out running all over the city which was great to see. It helped that it was a warm sunny evening to boot. The Great Limerick Run is this weekend and I found it motivating watching the faces of the runners undoubtedly thinking about their race plans. It was a simple steady aerobic run with a route bias towards hills. I kept the heart rate under 150 but still managed to work up a sweat.
Total 10.59km

It was nearly 9pm by the time I reached the Arena so I wasted no time changing into swim shorts and showering. I had no plan, just swim. There was a half dozen in the lane but mostly swimmers and triathletes so that suited me. I hopped in and started swimming. My only goal was to cruise at a strong steady state, kind of IM pace. I had 25 minutes for a 1.5k in mind as a benchmark. I had the watch on and thus no need to look at the clock. I was interested to see how it would turn out. The lane traffic was polite which helped an uninterrupted even paced swim. The 1.5k came out at 25:04 which I was very pleased with. 30 secs off my PB and swimming at steady state My calves had felt tender kicking off the wall towards the end. I sort of expected that swimming straight after a run. I was gong to hop out but decided to join 2 of the tri girls for 10*100 easy. I had a couple of dodgy moments with my calves so barely kicked off the wall at all. Looking back on my diary from last year I see that I did a few 3.8k swims in the pool with a best of just under 63mins (I actually shuddered a little when I looked at that diary). If I'm going to pencil in an hour for the Barcelona swim I know I need to hit this mark by August
Total 2,500m
Thanks from:
03-05-2012, 11:07   #1504
interested

deep sea free diver eh ? quality

re: barca and swim

imho its a tricky spot to swim - the year I did it there was alot of traffic (I was in the last swim wave) and alot of additional buoys in the water that made sighting critical and navigation a little more difficult than I usually find it. The morning of the race was very calm, little or no wind so it was pretty flat.

That said, the beach itself and bay is prone to swells. Its a great location and quality venue for a race but I know in their first year for their HIM there was a descent swell in the water.

Apart from the cheesy euro music the link below might be entertaining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0f7nB7dV8c

Mr JB and a few others Id imagine may have a different view on it - and Im pretty certain about 40 from Limerick Tri avoid a ash cloud to do the race a couple of years ago.
Thanks from:
03-05-2012, 12:33   #1505
jackyback

Yeah there can be a swell as there was for the HIM last year. From memory you swim into it for the first 200/300mtrs and take a right along the coast when it starts to settle. This may need to be done twice for the IM course.
I seen it calm as well so its pot luck really. The wind can pick up on the out part of the bike course and but can be fast on the in part.
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 12:41   #1506
shotgunmcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested View Post
deep sea free diver eh ? quality
Something like that. I asked him the other day what he would get if he had all the money in the world. The answer: A house made out of chocolate and a pet maco shark

RE: Barcelona swim. I checked out results from past years vs swim times of people I know. If I get back to Roth swim fitness I'd hope to be close to the hour anyway. But hey whatever I get on the day is what I'll get. Part of the Roth plan was 1:10 for swim+transitions. I'll keep that for Barcelona.

How are you going yourself Chief? You doing that Eton swim?
03-05-2012, 12:53   #1507
interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunmcos View Post
Something like that. I asked him the other day what he would get if he had all the money in the world. The answer: A house made out of chocolate and a pet maco shark
Wow, the little man has taste. Im kinda hoping for similar when I grow up too. A pet shark would rock.

Quote:
How are you going yourself Chief? You doing that Eton swim?
Im doing alright, relatively heathly and enjoying an interesting sojourn into the world of barefoot running with interesting results. Eton ? yeah, thats the plan but with bad weather forecasts all during May for the Uk and here Im going to make a stand and NOT take part if they've to break the ice to let us in
03-05-2012, 12:55   #1508
interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyback View Post
Yeah there can be a swell as there was for the HIM last year. From memory you swim into it for the first 200/300mtrs and take a right along the coast when it starts to settle. This may need to be done twice for the IM course.
I seen it calm as well so its pot luck really. The wind can pick up on the out part of the bike course and but can be fast on the in part.
The IM course may have changed since the first year - but it was one big long trek down the beach, 50 or 100 metres out the sea, and then back again. Lots of markers that were'nt part of the race course but hey ...
03-05-2012, 13:08   #1509
BTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested View Post
Im doing alright, relatively heathly and enjoying an interesting sojourn into the world of barefoot running with interesting results. Eton ? yeah, thats the plan but with bad weather forecasts all during May for the Uk and here Im going to make a stand and NOT take part if they've to break the ice to let us in
Was wondering about those strange slippers you wore poolside on Monday. I know you were talking to me about some race or another, but the shoes took all my attention!
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 13:19   #1510
Dory Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanHoyte View Post
Was wondering about those strange slippers you wore poolside on Monday. I know you were talking to me about some race or another, but the shoes took all my attention!
Oh god, interested, don't tell me you've gone the way of those ridiculous looking "toe shoes"!!??
03-05-2012, 13:20   #1511
interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanHoyte View Post
WTF ? you were'nt listening ... !!!
They are distracting / disarming in equal measure. Qualities Im finding very useful here in work. But, if Im honest, Ive know idea what the fuss is about.

@ Dory - and in what way are these ridiculous ???
03-05-2012, 13:23   #1512
Dory Dory

Maybe it's the foot hair and yellow nails that turns me off.
03-05-2012, 13:25   #1513
BTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory Dory View Post
Maybe it's the foot hair and yellow nails that turns me off.
She knows you so well!!!
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2012, 10:14   #1514
shotgunmcos

GLR Recce bike

@interested - If you can get a wetsuit to match those it would be savage!

Easy Bike recce of GLR route
I had an hour steady bike planned for yesterday evening and it was a perfect evening for it too. Unfortunately I got out of work late and ended up doing dinner and heading for a stroll with Caz instead. I haven't missed a session yet this week and wasn't letting this go. I left for work early this morning and cycled a detour over the GLR half route on the mountain bike noting the mile markers. I guess I'll have to go back to working in miles on Sunday The bones of 25km done including some hopping over curbs and ramping over speed bumps Infinately more enjoyable than turbo...
04-05-2012, 11:07   #1515
interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunmcos View Post
@interested - If you can get a wetsuit to match those it would be savage!
If I just swim without a suit ...

Have a great weekend.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion