Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-09-2010, 16:14   #1
irishh_bob
Banned

opening a bank account in northern ireland

can anyone tell me which british banks allow non uk citizens to open accounts , im talking about banks which are located in northern ireland

ulster bank ( uk ) do not allow non uk citizens to open accounts , also HSBC are almost impossible to contact by phone
Advertisement
25-09-2010, 09:57   #2
pocketdooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishh_bob View Post
can anyone tell me which british banks allow non uk citizens to open accounts , im talking about banks which are located in northern ireland

ulster bank ( uk ) do not allow non uk citizens to open accounts , also HSBC are almost impossible to contact by phone
I have an account with First Trust - just required a bill and my passport to open the account in Newry.

25-09-2010, 12:40   #3
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketdooz View Post
I have an account with First Trust - just required a bill and my passport to open the account in Newry.

isnt 1st trust part of the AIB group , in other words , part of an irish bank

Last edited by irishh_bob; 25-09-2010 at 12:47.
25-09-2010, 13:35   #4
pocketdooz

Quote:
isnt 1st trust part of the AIB group , in other words , part of an irish bank
Yes, it is.

25-09-2010, 14:07   #5
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketdooz View Post
Yes, it is.

if i wanted to put money in AIB , id make a four mile journey to town

do you know whether barclays allow foreigners to open accounts
Advertisement
25-09-2010, 14:09   #6
pocketdooz

Quote:

Yes, they do.

25-09-2010, 17:57   #7
Jim2007

Quote:

What exactly are you trying to achieve

Jim.
Thanks from:
25-09-2010, 21:35   #8
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
What exactly are you trying to achieve

Jim.
this country is going down and when we are either kicked out of the euro or have to leave so we can devalue , i want my money elsewhere
26-09-2010, 17:51   #9
pocketdooz

Quote:
this country is going down and when we are either kicked out of the euro or have to leave so we can devalue , i want my money elsewhere
LOL
Advertisement
26-09-2010, 17:54   #10
Smcgie

Send a message via MSN to Smcgie
Quote:
Ah your havin' us on there pj??
26-09-2010, 18:55   #11
Jim2007

Quote:
OK, stop listening to the "talking headers" and start to think for yourself!

There is no way out of the Euro and the big European pension funds have put some much into Ireland/Spain/Greece that they can't afford to let this happen either.

You have currently got your savings in

- One of the major world currencies (a reserve currency for most countries)
- You've got the biggest economic block and it's bank (ECB) ready to defend that currency
- Your money is on deposit with a bank that has fully met the new ECB stress tests
- You live in a country, which has disclosed more information about the state of their finances that any of the others, so there is a good chance that all the bad news is out

And now you want to move you cash to

- A currency that is no longer considered a reserve currency
- A country that has little resources to support their currency
- A country that is only now starting to talk about the cuts they will have to make....
- A country with out date industries and an aging population...

In doing so you are exposing yourself to both forex and country risk, do not underestimate the power of the Euro block and it's ability to out perform the UK economy.

If you are going to move money out of the Irish economy, at least keep it in Euros and move it to some where like Germany!

Good luck with that,

Jim.
Thanks from:
29-09-2010, 11:15   #12
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
OK, stop listening to the "talking headers" and start to think for yourself!

There is no way out of the Euro and the big European pension funds have put some much into Ireland/Spain/Greece that they can't afford to let this happen either.

You have currently got your savings in

- One of the major world currencies (a reserve currency for most countries)
- You've got the biggest economic block and it's bank (ECB) ready to defend that currency
- Your money is on deposit with a bank that has fully met the new ECB stress tests
- You live in a country, which has disclosed more information about the state of their finances that any of the others, so there is a good chance that all the bad news is out

And now you want to move you cash to

- A currency that is no longer considered a reserve currency
- A country that has little resources to support their currency
- A country that is only now starting to talk about the cuts they will have to make....
- A country with out date industries and an aging population...

In doing so you are exposing yourself to both forex and country risk, do not underestimate the power of the Euro block and it's ability to out perform the UK economy.

If you are going to move money out of the Irish economy, at least keep it in Euros and move it to some where like Germany!

Good luck with that,

Jim.

the uk economy is recovering very well plus when ireland defaults , it will surely have a negative effect on the euro currency ??? , also , why would germany continue to carry a basket case like us , surely thier level of support is not unconditional

as regards your suggestion about moving money to germany , would you consider opening an account in the netherlands ( say with rabbo ) as being equally wise
29-09-2010, 20:18   #13
Jim2007

Quote:
the uk economy is recovering very well plus when ireland defaults , it will surely have a negative effect on the euro currency ??? , also , why would germany continue to carry a basket case like us , surely thier level of support is not unconditional
Please explain how you arrive at these conclusions... 4 or 5 economic reports hit my desk everyday and I'm not seeing anything like this! Most are written by Europeans rather than Irish/UK economists, perhaps that makes the difference...

Quote:
as regards your suggestion about moving money to germany , would you consider opening an account in the netherlands ( say with rabbo ) as being equally wise
Well unless the Netherlands is some kind of economic power house that I don't know about, then I'd say it is not on par with Germany.

You should also realize that international money laundering rules means that most reputable banks will not be willing to open accounts for non residents, unless you can show a significant economic interest in their country or you are seeking wealth management services from them and are willing to put a large sum under management with them - here in Switzerland that normally means around €2-3M.

I suppose you could always buy a German government bond and keep it to maturity, but then there are risk associated with that as well.......

Good luck with that,

Jim
30-09-2010, 10:07   #14
irishh_bob
Banned

Quote:
Please explain how you arrive at these conclusions... 4 or 5 economic reports hit my desk everyday and I'm not seeing anything like this! Most are written by Europeans rather than Irish/UK economists, perhaps that makes the difference...

Well unless the Netherlands is some kind of economic power house that I don't know about, then I'd say it is not on par with Germany.

You should also realize that international money laundering rules means that most reputable banks will not be willing to open accounts for non residents, unless you can show a significant economic interest in their country or you are seeking wealth management services from them and are willing to put a large sum under management with them - here in Switzerland that normally means around €2-3M.

I suppose you could always buy a German government bond and keep it to maturity, but then there are risk associated with that as well.......

Good luck with that,

Jim

i wasnt aware that you were an economist , i do appologise , being just an ordinary joe , my statement about the uk,s economy recovering well was based purely on IMF recent reports , media commentators etc

i also wasnt aware that it was borderline illegal to open a bank account as a non resident , seems strange to say the least , surely their are tax treatys between eurozone countries so the account holder can pay DIRT in both countriesp.s

p.s , when argentina went bust in 2001 , millions of people lost all their savings , seeing that ireland cannot possibley cover the bank guarentee , whats to stop the same happening here
30-09-2010, 21:57   #15
irishh_bob
Banned

hi again

was browsing askaboutmoney earlier on and came across a thread to do with opening a bank account overseas , unfortunatley im banned for life from that site ( like countless others ) so cant ask any follow up questions

anyhow , it seems from reading the thread that its nion impossible to open a bank account in any institution around the EU unless you reside in that particular country , the exception to the rule was a belgian bank named KEYTRADE bank , my questions is , has anyone heard of this bank and have they any experience with it

cheers

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion