Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2012, 16:03   #556
cwgatling

8.5 in 1:04 at lunch. Feeling ok. Late going back to work, they'll get over it
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 17:44   #557
tunguska

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatling View Post
So 36:55 for the 10k. Felt a bit weird before this, breathing wasn't great and I was tired but that's the norm sometimes before races. I'd decided to go out hard and try to hold on, which seemed logical but kinda put me in for a lot of hurt.

This is a hilly course, but it's a loop so you get back what you put in. After mile 2 I was working really hard to hold the pace and the head wasn't in a great place. Between 2.5 and 4.5 there are some serious undulations which knocked me for 6. Two lads passed me and I held on to them for as long as I could but they slipped away. I have never felt like quitting a race so much as at this point. Head down and hoped it'd go away. At mile 5 a girl drew alongside me - she was about 4 foot 9 and she was motoring. Couldn't hang onto her either. Head killing me at this stage and the shoulders were seriously tying up. Thankfully held on until the end, pace was slow though. The splits tell the story pretty plainly:

5:44
5:50
6:02
6:12
6:08
6:08
48s

I gave too much on the first mile/1.5 mile. Focus wasn't half as good as Raheny or the Heath 10k. Can't say why. PB is a PB though. Sub-36 some time this year is the goal now.
Tough 10k alright. Man I think the reason you're not overly pleased with thiss even though it was a PB on a tough course was that for the first time this season you didnt hit your target. Bounce-back-ability is what its all about. The positives were that you could've been a wuss and played it safe but instead you went for it. I mean if you were to do that race again next week I'd be 100% sure you'd hit your target. The worst thing you could do now is to beat yourself up but at the same time neglect to carry out a proper post-mortem. Sit down and think about what exactly went wrong, learn from the mistakes you made and nail it next time. You learn more from your failures than you do your successes.
Thanks from:
13-02-2012, 18:08   #558
drquirky
Closed Account

Good running CW Gatling. Nice PR !
Thanks from:
15-02-2012, 15:16   #559
cwgatling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska View Post
Tough 10k alright. Man I think the reason you're not overly pleased with thiss even though it was a PB on a tough course was that for the first time this season you didnt hit your target. Bounce-back-ability is what its all about. The positives were that you could've been a wuss and played it safe but instead you went for it. I mean if you were to do that race again next week I'd be 100% sure you'd hit your target. The worst thing you could do now is to beat yourself up but at the same time neglect to carry out a proper post-mortem. Sit down and think about what exactly went wrong, learn from the mistakes you made and nail it next time. You learn more from your failures than you do your successes.
True indeed, it was a good experiment. Biggest thing to take away for me was that I race better when I start steady and hammer it home. Training has been heavy too so not an ideal build up but it wasn't the goal race. This stuff will (hopefully) pay off in the long term. Well done man, you ran a brilliant race.
Jesus that was wicked today. More rest required next time!

Tues - 7 @ 7:30. Lovely night
Wed - 4x mile @ I pace

5:33
5:36
5:38

Sick session. Legs were still shot from the race, it was windy and it was the early morning. Bad mix. Rep 3, I don't know what happened. Other than that it was a decent pace but the effort was sky high.

9.5 for the day.
15-02-2012, 19:12   #560
tunguska

Quote:
Jesus that was wicked today. More rest required next time!

Tues - 7 @ 7:30. Lovely night
Wed - 4x mile @ I pace

5:33
5:36
5:38

Sick session. Legs were still shot from the race, it was windy and it was the early morning. Bad mix. Rep 3, I don't know what happened. Other than that it was a decent pace but the effort was sky high.

9.5 for the day.
Ahem, shouldnt that be 10 for the day? Im claiming the 10 paddy, no two ways about it. Hard going today indeed. Definitley gotta take 5 or 6 days of easy running after hard races over 5k. We gotta do that session again next week so I reckon thats the one we'll do for your one session. We'll nail it this time.
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 15:35   #561
cwgatling

Ha, yeah I stuck it into Sporttracks and it's almost 10. We'll let you have it this time . Sweet, yep definitely get it right next week. Some doozies coming up, had a look at the plan.

Funny how this game works, late shift after that session yesterday and I was knackered last night. Woke up and was rejigging the weekly mileage in my head, trying to fit in a day off today. 30 mins later I'm trotting over the bridge into Tymon, 2.7 miles done. Enjoyed it in the end. Sometimes the best strategy is just to get the hell out and see how it goes.

Haven't had a day off running since Stephen's Day. Will take one before the Inter-Clubs.

9.25 @ 7:54
17-02-2012, 19:01   #562
cwgatling

Fri - 11.5 including 3x 2 miles T pace

11:55
11:57
11:58

Recovery was 2 mins and 3 mins. Happy to be under the 6 min mark. Windy day again at the track. Think I will just note whenever it's calm, might be easier! Definite niggle at the back of my left knee. Think it is calf-related. Stick time...
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 19:16   #563
drquirky
Closed Account

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that today's workout means that you aren't gonna run the BHAA race tomorrow eh?
17-02-2012, 19:18   #564
cwgatling

Hehe, well spotted. I actually thought it was on Sunday when I figured I'd do it. You going to give it a lash?
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 19:21   #565
drquirky
Closed Account

Yeah will do- its a mile away from my house so I have no excuse! Whats your next race? You're flying in the workouts...
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 19:23   #566
cwgatling

Best of luck man, looks like a great one. I've got the inter-clubs XC Sun week where I'll try not to come dead last, then the Craughwell 10 miler on 18 March. Hopefully the body holds up.
17-02-2012, 19:36   #567
Brianderunner

Quote:
Fri - 11.5 including 3x 2 miles T pace

11:55
11:57
11:58

Recovery was 2 mins and 3 mins. Happy to be under the 6 min mark. Windy day again at the track. Think I will just note whenever it's calm, might be easier! Definite niggle at the back of my left knee. Think it is calf-related. Stick time...
Nice session, 2 mile reps on the track are murder on your calves. You should do your warm up/ cool down in a reverse direction to save your legs. Another little trick is to do the warm up and cool down in your normal mileage shoes then stick on the racers for the session itself.

Sub 61 or even sub 60 in Craughwell must be in the back of your mind?
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 10:20   #568
tunguska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianderunner View Post
Nice session, 2 mile reps on the track are murder on your calves. You should do your warm up/ cool down in a reverse direction to save your legs. Another little trick is to do the warm up and cool down in your normal mileage shoes then stick on the racers for the session itself.

Sub 61 or even sub 60 in Craughwell must be in the back of your mind?
It'll be a crack at sub 60. He's on the fence at the moment but Im working on him........
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 23:04   #569
cwgatling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska View Post
It'll be a crack at sub 60. He's on the fence at the moment but Im working on him........
Firmly seated on that fence. Sub 60 is out of reach I think but I will go out at 6:05 and try to wind it up PB is on though with some luck, 63.xx from the Frank Duffy.

Sat - 5 easy
Sun - around 11 with 8x (600, 300, 150).

600m in 2:07
300m in 1:00
150m in 30s

Recovery was short (60, 30, 30s). Fartlek type session. Tired for this one but got through it. 63 for the week.
Left side a bit beaten up, got physio this Fri. Will drop the mileage a little this week too. Mile repeats Wed and race Sun.

Mon - 9 easy.
21-02-2012, 15:37   #570
cwgatling

9.2 easy. New shoes lined up for the session tomorrow. Hammered the calf and knee last night, they're a bit better (maybe...).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion