Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-09-2010, 01:14   #151
kenny1977

noooo

nnnnobody can touch israel
Advertisement
26-09-2010, 17:28   #152
Johro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Again, read pages 14 and 15 of the report when it explains the issue. Here's the operative bit, page 15.

Under the laws of armed conflict, a blockade is the prohibition of all commerce with a defined enemy coastline. A belligerent who has established a lawful blockade is entitled to enforce that blockade on the high seas.

(If you're not familiar with the terminology, 'High Seas' = 'International Waters')

I also don't have the ability to declare blockades or states of conflicts with other people. The analogy is not particularly accurate.

NTM
You should be a lawyer..
I think it's a question of right and wrong.
Most people would see the boarding of the ship and it's violent aftermath as wrong. There is a question of proportion here. Whatever the 'perceived' legalities, excessive force was used. Just like in the 'war' on Gaza.
26-09-2010, 17:38   #153
Johro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaasForRafa View Post
If you weren't so phenomenally ignorant you'd realise that Sukkot is an important jewish holiday but your irrational dumbness warps your perception.
More important than peace talks?
When did 'peace' become a dirty word in any religion? Get your priorities right.
26-09-2010, 20:40   #154
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johro View Post
You should be a lawyer..
Oddly enough, I did study law in college. However, all those hours spent poring over Lloyd's Law Review of 1886 or whatever in the Belfield library convinced me I wanted to do something more interesting for a living. (No offence to actual lawyers reading this, but it just wasn't for me!)

Quote:
I think it's a question of right and wrong.
Most people would see the boarding of the ship and it's violent aftermath as wrong. There is a question of proportion here. Whatever the 'perceived' legalities, excessive force was used. Just like in the 'war' on Gaza.
I think you have it reversed. Legalities are generally not a matter of perception. I either rob a bank, embezzle it, or I make a legal withdrawl. Not much perception involved. Determining whether or not something is 'excessive' is purely a judgement call, which comes back to the whole reason that the Mission decided the blocade was unlawful: In its opinion, the effect was disproportionate, it then applied that subjective assessment to the objective requirements of determining legality.

NTM
(3) thanks from:
26-09-2010, 20:53   #155
Zebra3

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...srael-blockade

Should be fun.

Will they attack and kill "their own"?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-09-2010, 22:15   #156
Johro

Quote:
Oddly enough, I did study law in college. However, all those hours spent poring over Lloyd's Law Review of 1886 or whatever in the Belfield library convinced me I wanted to do something more interesting for a living. (No offence to actual lawyers reading this, but it just wasn't for me!)

I think you have it reversed. Legalities are generally not a matter of perception. I either rob a bank, embezzle it, or I make a legal withdrawl. Not much perception involved. Determining whether or not something is 'excessive' is purely a judgement call, which comes back to the whole reason that the Mission decided the blocade was unlawful: In its opinion, the effect was disproportionate, it then applied that subjective assessment to the objective requirements of determining legality.

NTM
Legalities are often a matter of perception. Judges make 'judgement calls' all the time on the evidence presented. If the action being disproportionate is 'subjective', or the opinion of the blockade being unlawful is 'subjective', so is the aid flotilla being a danger to Israel. Subjective.
It doesn't change the fact that (well-meaning) people were killed unnecessarily. The ship wasn't loaded up with rocket propelled grenades. They could have boarded, confiscated whatever they considered illegal and let them carry on.
This was, after all, an aid mission.
26-09-2010, 23:09   #157
squod
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post

Should be fun.

Or it could be a false flag.
27-09-2010, 01:20   #158
BlaasForRafa

Quote:

Should be fun.

Considering its a "10-metre catamaran" they won't exactly have to use much force to stop it.
27-09-2010, 01:31   #159
Terry

Send a message via MSN to Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaasForRafa View Post
If you weren't so phenomenally ignorant you'd realise that Sukkot is an important jewish holiday but your irrational dumbness warps your perception.
Could you try that again without insulting me?
Surely an intelligent person like you can tell us all why Sukkot is so important that it is deemed necessary to miss one of the most vital meetings of the year, without resorting to being so abusive about it.

Why such anger?
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2010, 09:47   #160
Zebra3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11422065

Interesting map there to show how the Israelis have managed to make life hell for the natives in the occupied West Bank.
Thanks from:
28-09-2010, 10:23   #161
meditraitor
Closed Account

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11422065

Interesting map there to show how the Israelis have managed to make life hell for the natives in the occupied West Bank.
I seen that yesterday, the settlements are against international law and nobody does a thing.

_49266031_west_bank_464.gif
28-09-2010, 10:24   #162
Chairman Meow

All this because someone told the jews there was a penny buried somewhere in palestine
28-09-2010, 10:55   #163
Nodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Meow View Post
All this because someone told the jews there was a penny buried somewhere in palestine
Or because listening to that kind of joke for a few centuries just wears out the patience.....
28-09-2010, 10:59   #164
karma_

Quote:

NTM
There's something a bit tragic about someone giving up the opportunity of a good education to join an army.
28-09-2010, 11:02   #165
Nodin

Not really.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion