Atkins works - and boy am I happy! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2010, 18:20   #1
hcass

Atkins works - and boy am I happy!

I was always afraid to do Atkins diet. Eating meat and cheese and eggs and still losing weight seemed impossible to me. And surely all that fat had to be bad, clogging up your arteries with cholestrol and gathering around your heart, slowly helping it to give in.

Anyway, after years of WW meetings, and I have to say I did lose a lot of weight at weight watchers, i decided to try something completely different. I started Atkins just a week and a day ago. A the beginning it was really difficult, I couldn't get my head around all the fatty meat, heavy cheeses and dozens of eggs I was expected to consume. But after day three I really began to enjoy gorging on all the luxurious foods that were made taboo by WW and other low-fat diets. I still wasn't convinced though, a little niggle in the back of my head was telling me that I was probably putting weight on. Now, at 5feet 7 and 10 stone 9 lbs i am not exactly fat. But I have always wanted to get down to at least nine and a half stone and increase my fitness and decrease my fat percentage. WW brought me so far and I was hoping that Atkins would bring me that little bit further.

So when I checked the scales last night and I weighed 10 stone 3.5 lbs I couldn't believe it - 5.5 in one week! GONE! And I never felt hungry or like I was losing out. I'm so happy, delighted in fact.

I have one issue though - I have one more week of induction left and now I am into my second week I am starting to get bored with just eating the foods on the induction list. I could murder an apple or a handful of nuts but they are not allowed til next week. And even then I am only allowed to add 5 grammes of carbs EACH week until I have lost enough weight and know how many carbs I can have each day to maintain my healthy weight. The problem is - I don't think I can wait that long to start eating a piece of fruit here and there, or a few more veggies on my plate. I can last the induction phase but reckon next week that I will be adding more than 5 grammes of carbs per week. Is this a bad idea?
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 18:39   #2
El_Dangeroso

Nah, I'd go for it, I hate counting anyway so that 'extra 5g a week' seems a little obsessive and unless your obese, I would skip to what IPDers refer to as 'Phase 2' which is induction + fruit + occasional porridge or potato + dark chocolate. Expect to regain about 3lb in glycogen as you increase carbs, don't worry, this is not fat. Watch out for sudden bloat from any food you reintroduce and make sure you still get your protein in.
21-09-2010, 19:03   #3
gerrycollins

considering you current weight there is no need for you to do induction. you need to start at OWL(ongoing weight loss) where you add in 5g carbs per day and if you still losing massive amounts of weight add another 5g next week

you need to get to a carb level where you are losing a pound or two a week. you will get to a carb level where you will lose no weight so subtract 5g of carbs and so on and so on

Im doing it too but you still have to watch your portion sizes of you protien meat but im back enjoying garlic butter fried chicken fillets but i have loads to lose however after week three tomorrow im down about 18lbs.

and that you are on a high protien diet you will tone up so weight loss may fluctate with you having so little to lose because dont forget muscle weighs more than fat.
21-09-2010, 19:17   #4
Ice.

Atkins died weighing 258lbs which is obese for a man of his height. He had a heart attack, fell over and died. Great advertisement for his diet don't you think? And still people buy into the high-fat carb-phobic mindset at the expense of their health.
21-09-2010, 19:32   #5
brianthebard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice. View Post
Atkins died weighing 258lbs which is obese for a man of his height. He had a heart attack, fell over and died. Great advertisement for his diet don't you think? And still people buy into the high-fat carb-phobic mindset at the expense of their health.
He slipped on ice. This is classic peta nonsense tbh.
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 19:37   #6
ApeXaviour

Indeed, check your sources. Prior to the his fall and coma he was 196lbs. His death weight was caused by fluid retention.
21-09-2010, 19:39   #7
Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthebard View Post
He slipped on ice.
After suffering a heart attack. His own physician said so. He had a history of myocardial infarction.
21-09-2010, 19:44   #8
ApeXaviour

Quote:
After suffering a heart attack. His own physician said so. He had a history of myocardial infarction.
A year previously he had one. If you're quoting his own physician don't leave out the part where it was obviously due to a "heart infection he'd had for a few years", and was "no way related to diet".
Thanks from:
21-09-2010, 19:53   #9
Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeXaviour View Post
and was "no way related to diet".
This part was self reported by Atkins himself. Hardly unbiased. Also there was no post-mortem performed at request of the family. If they had nothing to hide.....
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 20:06   #10
El_Dangeroso

You don't post here much do you Ice?

The health of a high-fat low carbohydrate approach is well documented in various scientific trials. In fact, it consistently does better than low-fat or Mediterranean diets in blood sugar, cholesterol and weight loss:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...jama;297/9/969
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

Heresay about someone's health (of which you have no solid evidence whatsoever) doesn't really fly around here.

Low carb diets aren't for everyone, but they are perfectly safe and healthy, if you want to dispute that you'll have to come up with some pretty compelling evidence.
21-09-2010, 20:06   #11
rocky

Was Atkins following the Atkins diet?
21-09-2010, 20:08   #12
ApeXaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a member of the American Heart Association's national board of directors, said: "Despite the obvious irony, I believe there is a total disconnect between the cardiac arrest and the health approach he (Atkins) popularizes."
Quote:
Also there was no post-mortem performed at request of the family. If they had nothing to hide.....
Innuendo, nothing more. A family might have many reasons to make such a choice.
21-09-2010, 20:08   #13
hcass

Quote:
I've heard all the stories and believed them too. Then i read the book and researched it myself and I can see the results on the scales and feel the results too. I feel great, used to have terrible gas - gone, used to go to the toilet a million times a day - stopped, even though drinking just as much water as before. I have more energy, don't feel hungry like I used to and have no cravings.

Thanks everyone for your feedback - think I'll still finish this one week of induction and then introduce the carbs back at a quicker rate than recommended on OWL, thanks.
21-09-2010, 20:09   #14
brianthebard

Quote:
This part was self reported by Atkins himself. Hardly unbiased.
After he died????
Thanks from:
21-09-2010, 20:10   #15
hcass

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Dangeroso View Post
Nah, I'd go for it, I hate counting anyway so that 'extra 5g a week' seems a little obsessive and unless your obese, I would skip to what IPDers refer to as 'Phase 2' which is induction + fruit + occasional porridge or potato + dark chocolate. Expect to regain about 3lb in glycogen as you increase carbs, don't worry, this is not fat. Watch out for sudden bloat from any food you reintroduce and make sure you still get your protein in.
This sounds much more do-able thanks Dangerso

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion