Sports in Colour on RTÉ? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-09-2010, 11:39   #16
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Can believe its not Elmo View Post
How did you change my quote you chancer
It cant be done surely.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-09-2010, 11:55   #17
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
It cant be done surely.
Suppose why is a better question as It was in reference to Colour TV.
23-09-2010, 12:07   #18
watty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Just tells you about the rail way cup and

1973: RTÉ Annual Report publishes statistics reporting that 77% (542,000) of households in the Republic have a television set; 530,000 have a television licence and 27,000 have colour televisions.

Does [not] tell my [me] when Sports [was] in Colour all the time. I ask as I am assuming that RTÉ changed Sports to colour before other services such as The Riordans which began broadcasting in colour in 1975.
I presume Elmo born in 1969 but was he colour from then?
Thanks from:
23-09-2010, 12:58   #19
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
I presume Elmo born in 1969 but was he colour from then?
RTÉ's website states that the first Colour transmission was in 1971 with the railway cup and that by 1973 an estimated 27,000 households had a color TV.

When did RTÉ start broadcasting all Sports coverage in colour? It began colour transmissions in 1971 and by 1975 The Riordans debut in Colour.

Due to the use of OBUs on The Riordans I assume that the late date of 1975 for The Riordans in colour is due to the role out of colour for sporting events.
23-09-2010, 19:23   #20
Mike 1972
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
How did you change my quote?
?

Last edited by Mike 1972; 23-09-2010 at 19:28.
Advertisement
23-09-2010, 20:40   #21
MACHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifriendly View Post
On subject of unlicensed TV's it was a running joke during the troubles that large estates and areas of N. Ireland had unlicensed TV's as it was too dangerous for detector vans to go anywhere near them!
Quite true, they lost one and maybe even two detector vans back in the late 70's /early 80's (hijacked & burned).

One of the lesser known after-effects of the peace process up here saw a sudden rise in new TV licences being bought in some areas, as the inspectors felt safe going back into places where previously they wouldn't have went even with military support.
23-09-2010, 22:06   #22
lawhec
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHEAD View Post
Quite true, they lost one and maybe even two detector vans back in the late 70's /early 80's (hijacked & burned).

One of the lesser known after-effects of the peace process up here saw a sudden rise in new TV licences being bought in some areas, as the inspectors felt safe going back into places where previously they wouldn't have went even with military support.
I remember reading back in the 90's that during the troubles, TV licence evasion in Northern Ireland was estimated at over 40%.

There's a nice story (possibly urban legend), of someone who phoned their local TV dealer in a rural place (somewhere in North Antrim I think) to tell them that the colour on BBC1 kept cutting in and out, but the other channels were fine. TV dealer checked to see if it was a transmitter problem by checking his own reception and confirmed it was a problem at the local relay. Call sent to BBC Engineering, returned shortly after saying that there was a problem but that they were not going to bother fixing it as according to TV Licence records, no one in the service area of the relay had a colour licence!
23-09-2010, 22:37   #23
watty

I'd say a myth.
I worked in BBC Comms. I never heard of anyone having access to that sort of info

Good story though. I have some less believable true ones.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion