SNES RGB cable woes - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2012, 14:15   #46
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopx View Post
I hear ya, but I don't think it's that. The colours are actually really defined, butit's the blockiness that's the problem. I'm surprised this isn't well documented, it must have happened before now.

Well I found the pinouts: http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt...scart.htm#snes And soldered 4 75 ohm resistors on, but it hasn't made any difference.
Adding the resistors is only to dim the picture if it is too bright, it doesn't stop the moiré patterns.
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 14:25   #47
soopx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
Adding the resistors is only to dim the picture if it is too bright, it doesn't stop the moiré patterns.
Well it's weird, because the resistors actually go from the RGB and composite out, to ground. So it shouldn't (and doesn't) have ANY effect on the picture as far as I can tell.

I have no idea why they're there.

Actually, saying that, the composite is jumpered to pin 20, and I have no idea what that's for
17-03-2012, 14:32   #48
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Quote:
Well it's weird, because the resistors actually go from the RGB and composite out, to ground. So it shouldn't (and doesn't) have ANY effect on the picture as far as I can tell.

I have no idea why they're there.

Actually, saying that, the composite is jumpered to pin 20, and I have no idea what that's for
In my case, I put them where the capacitors were on the original cable. Without the resistors the picture was so bright I had to drop my TV's brightness down to zero but it's fine now.
19-03-2012, 12:16   #49
soopx

Just gonna post these up for reference (here is as good as anywhere)

Composite:

RGB:

I guess you can see the effect most clearly on the balloon in the background, what appears as a solid colour on composite, appears... pixelated, I suppose, on the RGB.

Similar effect on the green grass on Kirby. It's noticable enough that it's not really better than composite. And I have NO idea what can cause this kind of effect.

This is the same issue other people are seeing right?

*edit* I found this too: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3859.0

He seems to suggest that this effect is a lack of contrast due to the composite signal not being grounded - but mine is grounded :/ Maybe I need to use a resistor with more resistance than 75 ohms?

Last edited by soopx; 19-03-2012 at 12:36.
20-03-2012, 02:29   #50
nuxxx

I got my snes rgb cable from consolegoods and it was fine if that makes any difference
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 11:23   #51
Myrddin
Category Moderator

A SNES RGB cable can't be great quality for £3. Also, the picture enhancing technologies of hd/lcd/plasma screens could affect the final image in some cases.
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2012, 09:56   #52
steve_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNow View Post
A SNES RGB cable can't be great quality for £3. Also, the picture enhancing technologies of hd/lcd/plasma screens could affect the final image in some cases.

What specs/etc should be considered? I'm looking to get one but would want to get a decent one. this consolegoodscouk seems like the best place?
21-03-2012, 10:04   #53
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
What specs/etc should be considered? I'm looking to get one but would want to get a decent one. this consolegoodscouk seems like the best place?
Normally I wouldn't advocate spending over the odds for a cable, but those cheap £3 jobbies just seem flimsy & problem prone. I bought all of my RGB console cables from consolegoods & havn't had an issue, but I do run my retro consoles into a crt tv. The filtering done by modern flat panel tv's could be the issue here, & not the cables themselves.
21-03-2012, 11:01   #54
eric90000

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't advocate spending over the odds for a cable, but those cheap £3 jobbies just seem flimsy & problem prone. I bought all of my RGB console cables from consolegoods & havn't had an issue, but I do run my retro consoles into a crt tv. The filtering done by modern flat panel tv's could be the issue here, & not the cables themselves.
I also bought my SNES RGB cable from consolegoods uk and I tried it on both a HDTV and a CRT tv, on 2 seperate SNES consoles. still the exact same. the cables must be pretty inconsistent in quality because a few people have the same problem. I'm guessing they're just poorly grounded/shielded as there is also a hum when ever the volume is turned up and there is a bright picture on the screen.
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 11:22   #55
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90000 View Post
I also bought my SNES RGB cable from consolegoods uk and I tried it on both a HDTV and a CRT tv, on 2 seperate SNES consoles. still the exact same. the cables must be pretty inconsistent in quality because a few people have the same problem. I'm guessing they're just poorly grounded/shielded as there is also a hum when ever the volume is turned up and there is a bright picture on the screen.
Afaik they make the cables themselves, did you email consolegoods & discuss why this was the case? Had the crt you used got a full RGB scart socket, & not just the AV type?
21-03-2012, 11:30   #56
eric90000

Quote:
Afaik they make the cables themselves, did you email consolegoods & discuss why this was the case? Had the crt you used got a full RGB scart socket, & not just the AV type?
yeah I contacted him about it, he asked me to send it back and he would look at it but to be honest it wasn't worth the hassle of paying for postage etc seen as the cable was less than a tenner.

the HDTV has one RGB socket, pattern on screen was all messed up, looked over-pixelated with moire patterns. tried on CRT tv which has 3 scart sockets, 2 of which are RGB....looks the same bad image on the RGB scarts as the HDTV. I'm currently using it in the other socket which doesn't support RGB, so what I'm really seeing is Composite. the moire patterns aren't there but the picture is no where near RGB quality.

at least one or 2 other people on this thread got their cable from consolegoods and they had the same problem. I'd say buy with caution.
21-03-2012, 11:53   #57
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90000 View Post
at least one or 2 other people on this thread got their cable from consolegoods and they had the same problem. I'd say buy with caution.
Strange one alright, the thing is where else do you shop without running into the same issue? If a cable is defective your always gonna be faced with the question of if its worth returning it.

Maybe ask consolegoods to test the cable before they send it & just buy another
21-03-2012, 12:11   #58
soopx

Quote:
I wouldn't say it "can't" be good quality. You may have a point about the flatscreens, I still haven't had a chance to try it on a CRT.

As far as the cable goes though there's not really much that would distinguish a "good" cable from a "bad" one. As far as mine are concerned, the cores look fairly thick, the insulation seems like it should be thick enough to eliminate any crosstalk.

In fact, that's almost part of the problem - the picture itself is crisp - even the artifacts themselves. I've heard back that it could be something to do with the select pin (pin 8) but I can't see how that's got anything to do with S-video. I'm gonna ask.
21-03-2012, 12:15   #59
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't say it "can't" be good quality
It's not a blanket statement, but if your having trouble with a cheap cable, the problem is likely the cable in most cases.
21-03-2012, 12:47   #60
soopx

Quote:
It's not a blanket statement, but if your having trouble with a cheap cable, the problem is likely the cable in most cases.
Aye, you're quite right. TBH, I really want to get the bottom of this, and the easiest way might be to get a known good cable and check pinouts, cable thickness and voltages to narrow down the problem.

But I'm such a cheapskate. I didn't even pay for the cable, the guy refunded me before I found out what was causing my problem!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion